Reload this Page >

Driver's License in DC

Driver's License in DC

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

dcrenea is on a distinguished road
Default Driver's License in DC

Hi,

Any K1ers with experience to share in obtaining a driver's licence in the District of Columbia?

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice
Default Re: Driver's License in DC

Originally posted by dcrenea
Hi,

Any K1ers with experience to share in obtaining a driver's licence in the District of Columbia?

Thanks
My wife has still not gotten hers here, but I think I remember what we needed. She does not need to drive as we do not have a car (motorcycle only) and live downtown.

I do know you need to have your original (home country) driver's liscense translated.

What country are you from and do you have a liscense from there.

You need proof of DC residency. Bring as much as you can, lease, phone bill, Pepco bill. Its best to have something official (bill from a large company) in addition to a lease (which could be made up).

Make sure you keep your home country liscense.

Tell me what country you are from and I can give you some more info.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks DCMark,

My fiance is from jamaica.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Thanks DCMark,

My fiance is from jamaica.
You need to call the DC DMV and find out if they will accept that liscense. For most Euro countries, you simply show your (translated) home liscense and take ONLY the written test.

It way be the case for Jamacia that they do not accept their liscense. Therefore she would have to take both the road test and written test.

Where do you live in DC? I am on U St, near 14th.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks much!
I live in NE DC, by Stadium-Armory metro station.
I used to live right near you in Adams Morgan, by 18th and Columbia Rent was too much, so I recently bought a house.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks much!
I live in NE DC, by Stadium-Armory metro station.
I used to live right near you in Adams Morgan, by 18th and Columbia Rent was too much, so I recently bought a house.
I hear you. We bought a condo in this area. I remember that there were some very nice houses near RFK when I used to go to Redskins games there with my Dad. I bet you got a much better deal than we did.

Good luck, holler if you need anything else.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hey DCMArk,

Did the DMV tell you there was a wait period of 90 days before a K1 applicant can apply? Just wanted to check what they told you b/c this guy didn't sound very sure on the phone.

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Hey There DC -

I STRONGLY recommend that you read this thread.

Also, go to the website for the DC DMV (if you haven't already) and read the requirements for someone coming into the US on a visa - specifically, a K1 visa.

I hope this ISN'T the case for D.C. but it's unlikely that he'll be able to get a drivers lic and maybe not even a state id, until he gets his EAD card or gets fully AOS'd.

We JUST finished going thru this whole id/drivers lic nitemare )-:

Better luck for you all I hope. (-:

Hey DCMArk,

Did the DMV tell you there was a wait period of 90 days before a K1 applicant can apply? Just wanted to check what they told you b/c this guy didn't sound very sure on the phone.

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute
Default DC, Here's the Thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=janadeen
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey DCMArk,

Thanks
I am sorry I have no idea about K1ers, and I should have made that clear. My wife was not a K1 or K3. We only thought about getting a liscense after she had her green card.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 7:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Link to the the DMV of all States

http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Motor_Vehicles.shtml