British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Drivers license - AB 60 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drivers-license-ab-60-a-870556/)

Moonsquirrel Jan 12th 2016 9:09 pm

Drivers license - AB 60

Oh wise and wonderful folks of British expats, I have another clueless question for y'all.

So here's the rub. I got married on a k1 visa back in October, and am patiently waiting for my EAD/AOS completion. I have a job offer, which expires on 25th jan, and the job will involve much driving. I booked a dmv appointment two weeks ago for tomorrow, with the intention of getting an AB 60 drivers license. However, just today, my USCIS status on the EAD changed to "On January 12, 2016, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number xxxxx, and will mail it to the address you gave us.". HOORAY!!

So my question is, should I go ahead with the DMV appointment and get an AB 60 license, or should I schedule another appointment, wait for my EAD card to arrive, and get a regular license? The risk in the latter option being I might not be able to get my license before I start working on the 25th. From what I can tell, the only disadvantage to an AB 60 license is I can't use it for ID when boarding planes, is this correct, or is there more I don't know? Can I easily change ab 60 to a regular license after I get my EAD?

Thanking you, sincerely and truly.

Nutmegger Jan 12th 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Drivers license - AB 60

Originally Posted by Moonsquirrel (Post 11835510)
Oh wise and wonderful folks of British expats, I have another clueless question for y'all.

So here's the rub. I got married on a k1 visa back in October, and am patiently waiting for my EAD/AOS completion. I have a job offer, which expires on 25th jan, and the job will involve much driving. I booked a dmv appointment two weeks ago for tomorrow, with the intention of getting an AB 60 drivers license. However, just today, my USCIS status on the EAD changed to "On January 12, 2016, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number xxxxx, and will mail it to the address you gave us.". HOORAY!!

So my question is, should I go ahead with the DMV appointment and get an AB 60 license, or should I schedule another appointment, wait for my EAD card to arrive, and get a regular license? The risk in the latter option being I might not be able to get my license before I start working on the 25th. From what I can tell, the only disadvantage to an AB 60 license is I can't use it for ID when boarding planes, is this correct, or is there more I don't know? Can I easily change ab 60 to a regular license after I get my EAD?

Thanking you, sincerely and truly.

What state are you in? In my state even a regular license can't be used as full ID for flying unless you go through all kinds of hoops to provide additional info not required for a basic license. (Didn't see any point in going for one, as I'm happy to carry my passport when required.)

Moonsquirrel Jan 12th 2016 9:48 pm

Oops, in California.

Pulaski Jan 12th 2016 10:26 pm

I'd switch off the AB 60 license as soon as you can because it is mostly designed for illegal immigrants. It shouldn't make much difference but not having a license that is "good for ID purposes" could come back and bite you just when it is most inconvenient.