Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

drivers license

drivers license

Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:04 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default Re: drivers license

At least you guys didn't have to change the law before being able to get a driver's license, even though I am still proud having been a part in this process, I learned a lot!

Read this and weep *S* http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80626
I guess you can imagine that I treasure that little bit of plastic in my wallet!!

Yea, had a similar experience; UK, French, and German licenses are exchanged in SC without any questions or procedures, but I had to take the eye test, the written AND road test! No course though, I just got a booklet and did the studying on my own.

Just don't forget to use your blinker when you make a U-turn! *S* Oh, and brush up on your parallel parking, the only time you ever have to do it, is on your road test! For the rest; I guess it is true, if you have learned how to drive in Amsterdam, you can drive anywhere *LOL*

Last edited by Petra; Jul 13th 2006 at 12:11 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petra
Just don't forget to use your blinker when you make a U-turn! *S* Oh, and brush up on your parallel parking, the only time you ever have to do it, is on your road test! For the rest; I guess it is true, if you have learned how to drive in Amsterdam, you can drive anywhere *LOL*

Living in a congested area and only being allowed one parking space per apartment, I have to parallel park. I had to teach Jim. I taught him the trick my high school driver's ed teacher taught us.

Aline your car with the car in front of the space you are going to park in. Back up slowly and when your rear passenger side door handle is even with the rear bumper of the other car start to turn your wheel. Works everytime.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Living in a congested area and only being allowed one parking space per apartment, I have to parallel park. I had to teach Jim. I taught him the trick my high school driver's ed teacher taught us.

Aline your car with the car in front of the space you are going to park in. Back up slowly and when your rear passenger side door handle is even with the rear bumper of the other car start to turn your wheel. Works everytime.
I used the mark on the rear window technique, but got to he point that I did not need it.

I used to think any space bigger than the car length plus 1ft was excellent, not sure if I would now.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:21 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I had been a company car driver in England for many years and thought I knew it all. Part of the company insurance requirements were for all staff to take a defensive driving course. I was surprised to pick up this tip I still use to this dat. I'm very good at judging spaces, but occasionally I will be in someone elses vehicle, so its not that easy. Anyway, here is my tip.
This obviously doesn't work in every situation. The instructor said "when you need to parallel park be very aware of your surroundings", hmmm not rocket science I thought, then he explained. Whilst I was parallel parking, directly across from me was a big shop window, acting as a mirror! I hadn't even thought to look. This tip is great for city parking as large office windows often give a perfect view of exactly how close you are when reversing.

Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Four of fifty states confirm my thoughts on the exchange of Cdn DLs.
Add 1 more Rete... MD did the same for my DL from Ontario. Though I wish they would test (or re-test) those folks that have original MD licences.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:01 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default OT: Test yourself

( Source: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...5/26/55472.htm )

GMAC Insurance just put out the results of a nationwide study, where they had drivers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., take a 20-question test. . . asking basic questions from state driving exams.

What they found: One out of every 11 drivers in this country would FAIL a state drivers test right now!!!

The area of the country where they found the DUMBEST drivers??? The Northeast. Rhode Islanders finished last on the test, with an average score of 75.1%. Washington, D.C., was second to last. . . Massachusetts and New Jersey tied for third-to-last. . . New York was fourth-to-last. . . Maryland was fifth-to-last. . . and Connecticut was seventh-to-last.

The smartest drivers in the country are in Oregon, where the average score is 90.6%. Washington state came in second place; Vermont was the only Northeast state that showed some skills, coming in third place.

The average score nationwide was 83.7%. 5,288 licensed drivers took the test, with at least 100 from each state.

Take the test and compare your own results:
http://www.gmacinsurance.com/SafeDriving/2006/test.asp
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:25 pm
Mh

In article <[email protected]> ,
Rete <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'm not sure if this is still true but, here in Kentucky, I handed in
    >> my NS driver's license and got a Kentucky one... no written exam, no
    >> driving test... nothing!
    >> Ian
    >Four of fifty states confirm my thoughts on the exchange of Cdn DLs.

No problem.. Just didn't seem to be an option in CA, or I missed something..

MH

Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:57 pm
Mh

Default Re: OT: Test yourself

In article <[email protected]> ,
Petra <member1494@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >> Add 1 more Rete... MD did the same for my DL from Ontario. Though I
    >> wish they would test (or re-test) those folks that have original MD
    >> licences.
    >( Source:
    >http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...5/26/55472.htm )
    >GMAC Insurance just put out the results of a nationwide study, where
    >they had drivers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., take a 20-
    >question test. . . asking basic questions from state driving exams.
    >What they found: One out of every 11 drivers in this country would FAIL
    >a state drivers test right now!!!
    >The area of the country where they found the DUMBEST drivers??? The
    >Northeast. Rhode Islanders finished last on the test, with an average
    >score of 75.1%. Washington, D.C., was second to last. . . Massachusetts
    >and New Jersey tied for third-to-last. . . New York was fourth-to-last.
    > . Maryland was fifth-to-last. . . and Connecticut was seventh-to-last.
    >The smartest drivers in the country are in Oregon, where the average
    >score is 90.6%. Washington state came in second place; Vermont was the
    >only Northeast state that showed some skills, coming in third place.
    >The average score nationwide was 83.7%. 5,288 licensed drivers took the
    >test, with at least 100 from each state.
    >Take the test and compare your own results:
    >http://www.gmacinsurance.com/SafeDriving/2006/test.asp

Think I got 95% or so on that test.. Then again, Traffic School in 12/05 may
have helped :-)

MH

Old Jul 14th 2006, 2:35 am
Martijn

> Just don't forget to use your blinker when you make a U-turn! *S*
    > People here will always be impressed if you can parallel park, the only
    > time they ever have to do it, is on their road test! I guess it is
    > true, if you have learned how to drive in Amsterdam, you can drive
    > anywhere *LOL*

Ah, one day too late with the advice, LOL

Just had my road test today. Took 2 hours of waiting in an endless
queue, and less than 10 minutes of driving. First thing was the paralel
parking. Put it 5 inches from the curb in one swoop swing. (done it
like a gazillion times in the NL, big deal). Then a broken U turn (or 3
point turn) and straight back to the point where we started, and he
gave me the receipt to prove I passed the test.

Officer was mightily impressed, but marked "Failed to signal for broken
U-Turn". He had a good laugh about it, and said he'd wish he had less
morons and more people like me even if I'm Dutch and failing to signal
a tree point turn. (Who does that anyway, like, duh?) But it was fun
for the short time it lasted.

That said, in my 2 hours of watiing in queue, I saw many, many, many a
failed paralel park, turn and people getting out of their car all
shaken up and teary eyed. I guess Red Hook is the 'total moron' league
as it's easier to drive there than in a deserted Mikey D's parking lot.

Oh well. Got my DL, that;s all that counts. :)