Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers licences in Virginia

Drivers licences in Virginia

Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Sianipani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drivers licences in Virginia

I have moved to Virginia with my husband who has a work permit. The DMV rules say you have to obtain a drivers licence within 60 days of arrival in Virginia. I finding it impossible to get a drivers licence because I dont have all the documents they require (including a social security number). If I go back and forth to the UK, does the clock start ticking each time I arrive back? In other words, can I keep using my UK licence, as long as I go back and forth every couple of months? Does anyone have any other ideas about how I might manage this? Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers licences in Virginia

Hello and welcome to BE. I've moved your thread over to our US Forum.

It normally means from the date you became a resident of the state.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 21st 2014 at 2:18 am.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sianipani
I have moved to Virginia with my husband who has a work permit. The DMV rules say you have to obtain a drivers licence within 60 days of arrival in Virginia. I finding it impossible to get a drivers licence because I dont have all the documents they require (including a social security number). If I go back and forth to the UK, does the clock start ticking each time I arrive back? In other words, can I keep using my UK licence, as long as I go back and forth every couple of months? Does anyone have any other ideas about how I might manage this? Thanks
The way I read the rules is, if you don't have documentation that you are a resident, you don't need/can't get a local licence. (not VA specifically)

So yes, use your UK licence until you qualify for a VA one. Travel back and forth won't make a difference.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
The way I read the rules is, if you don't have documentation that you are a resident, you don't need/can't get a local licence. (not VA specifically)

So yes, use your UK licence until you qualify for a VA one. Travel back and forth won't make a difference.
I disagree. She is probably on a derivative visa that can't get a social security number but normally someone can get a statement from the social security office that indicates that the person is not allowed to have a social security number but is allowed to reside in the US and usually that is acceptable for the DMV. The issue is often when the person enters on a B-2 visitor visa since they aren't really a resident.

As far as driving forever on a UK license, I'd advise against than since you may have insurance issues if you are involved in an accident.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I disagree. She is probably on a derivative visa that can't get a social security number but normally someone can get a statement from the social security office that indicates that the person is not allowed to have a social security number but is allowed to reside in the US and usually that is acceptable for the DMV. The issue is often when the person enters on a B-2 visitor visa since they aren't really a resident.

As far as driving forever on a UK license, I'd advise against than since you may have insurance issues if you are involved in an accident.
I had a lot of problems with the Virginia DMV too. The issue they said was ID - they accepted my passport as the 'primary' form of ID, but I didn't have anything acceptable to meet the 'secondary' form of ID - my UK driving license and birth certificate were not acceptable to them. They only thing on the list I could get was my SSN card, but that took forever to come through, so I was stuck at an impasse until I did get it. Form I-797 is on the list, but as I only had a copy of my company's blanket I-797 it was not accepted - they wanted the original (which of course is with the company lawyers at headquarters!).

I would suggest that the OP gets the official letter from the SS office to declare that they are not eligible for an SSN (if that is the case), and keep trying the different DMV offices until they strike lucky and get a DMV employee with who possesses some common sense. Good luck with that!

It is somewhat ridiculous that the DMV would accept my UK license as proof that I had had enough knowledge and experience to skip the driver's education program and be exempt from having to have a learner's permit - but it was not enough proof to say I was who I said I was. The DMV drones would not acknowledge the inconsistency, it was just a case of "computer says no" and a brick wall.

three years later and it still raises my blood pressure!

Last edited by yellowroom; Oct 21st 2014 at 10:02 am.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks all. I am indeed on a derivative visa and not permitted to work - hence no SSN. I fear I shall soon be housebound... I was thinking of trying to get an international drivers licence from the UK, next time I am over. I think this will give me another year's grace. Am i mistaken?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. I am indeed on a derivative visa and not permitted to work - hence no SSN. I fear I shall soon be housebound... I was thinking of trying to get an international drivers licence from the UK, next time I am over. I think this will give me another year's grace. Am i mistaken?
Yes, unfortunately. It is just a translation and reformatting of your current UK license, it does not confer any additional rights.

You need to get something in writing from an official Federal agency that confirms your ID to meet the DMV requirements. It seems to be that the SSA would be the best approach - maybe apply for an SSN anyway and when they write to you to say you don't qualify for one, use that as the 'SSN' proof with the DMV
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely try another DMV office a lot depends on who you get at the window.
I register imported and out of state vehicles and regularly get wrong information and requirements.
Common sense is not common at the DMV in Virginia

Last edited by ottotheboar; Oct 21st 2014 at 2:31 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The advice from Michael and Ywllowroom is spot on. You almost certainly become/became resident for DL purposes 60 days after you arrive(d). "Residence" for DL purposes has nothing to do with residence for immigration or other purposes, and the rules are wildly inconsistent.

You must be very careful because trying the sort of tricks you mention, such as the Intl DL, or flying back and forth DO NOT WORK. So in the event you are stopped by the police any infraction you have will be compounded by a charge for not having a valid license, ..... which automatically means that you are also driving without insurance. Not having insurance is another charge the police will throw at you AND if you're involved in wreck it will leave you personally liable for any damage that was your responsibility, and if you have injured someone there is a very good chance that the subsequent litigation from the injured person or their insurance company will bankrupt you!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Common sense is not common at the DMV in Virginia anywhere in the US.
Fixed that for ya.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Common sense is not common at the DMV in Virginia anywhere in the US.
Fixed that for ya.
Unfortunately it's not just a lack of common sense, it's that many DMV staff are ignorant of many of the details of the licensing and registration regulations. This is especially true in a DMV office which does not routinely see foreigners.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 21st 2014 at 4:21 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Drivers licences in Virginia

Thanks so much everyone. This has been really helpful. I now have a sense of what I might do to acquire a licence and have decided to use public transport and/or my bicycle for the time being.... Sigh, I never imagined the bureaucracy involved in this move. Good thing I guess, otherwise it might not have happened!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I was in this situation when I moved here for the year before my own visa came through but I had the added complication that I did actually have a SSN (from a summer on a J-1 as a student). Should have been simple? Noooo.

Issue there was, I did not physically have the little SSN card and because I was derivative, the SSA office had no reason to issue a replacement. So I had to go to a different SSA office, pretend I didn't have a SSN and they issued me with a letter valid for 90 days saying I wasn't entitled to one. Anyway the saga went on for way too long. 11 months later I finally got a DL after the SC senator's office got involved. I did drive during this period - always carrying with me the folder of BS that constituted my attempts to get a DL. Oh Happy Days!

Last edited by Orangepants; Oct 21st 2014 at 9:48 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unfortunately it's not just a lack of common sense, it's that many DMV staff are ignorant of many of the details of the licensing and registration regulations. This is especially true in a DMV office which does not routinely see foreigners.
I would say that as well as being stupid and lazy, they are actively vindictive.

I think I declared I was not eligible for SS# and put ITIN# in the space on the form, that was in CA a while back though.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I would say that as well as being stupid and lazy, they are actively vindictive.

I think I declared I was not eligible for SS# and put ITIN# in the space on the form, that was in CA a while back though.
yeah, the problem is the Virginia DMV wants the card as apparently it's a better proof of ID than your UK driving license with your photo on it. As for the DMV - well let's just say I was shocked that the TV/movie portrayal of DMV experiences actually downplayed how bad it can be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.