Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

drivers licence/state id with no SSN??

drivers licence/state id with no SSN??

Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of
Default Re: drivers licence/state id with no SSN??

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
Hijacking the thread slightly, but where can I find the form? As a slight aside, I asked Chase for a c/card (my account is with them), and they said no, until I had a tax ID or SSN, so the former does help a little with getting credit.

Pete
It's IRS form W-7 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf).

Nothing to do with the Social Security Administration.

They're trying to make it as difficult to get one as possible, so it can be complex depending on your status. In our case, waited until we were able to file tax return (July after arriving in October), attached W-7 to tax return, send off passport (no way) or take into local IRS office, wait several weeks.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeraldineGray
You can apply for a Tax Identification Number in lieu of a SSN if your visa does not permit one.

Go to the local Soc Sec office
Wait a few mins (I waited less than 10)
When did you do this? This is not the current way to get an ITIN. The IRS issues them, not the SSA.

Hijacking the thread slightly, but where can I find the form? As a slight aside, I asked Chase for a c/card (my account is with them), and they said no, until I had a tax ID or SSN, so the former does help a little with getting credit.

Pete
I guess you already see that this isn't for you. You'll have to wait until you have your L-1 visa and apply for a Social Security number.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
ITIN FAQ from the IRS

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system

ITINs are for federal income tax purposes only. Getting an ITIN does not change your immigration status or your rightto work in the United States

Effective immediately, each ITIN applicant must now:

* Apply using the revised Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ; and
* Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.
Applicants who meet an exception to the requirement to file a tax return (see the instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:35 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
When did you do this? This is not the current way to get an ITIN. The IRS issues them, not the SSA.

I guess you already see that this isn't for you. You'll have to wait until you have your L-1 visa and apply for a Social Security number.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
ITIN FAQ from the IRS

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system

ITINs are for federal income tax purposes only. Getting an ITIN does not change your immigration status or your rightto work in the United States

Effective immediately, each ITIN applicant must now:

* Apply using the revised Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ; and
* Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.
Applicants who meet an exception to the requirement to file a tax return (see the instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception
Yep -- I have no idea what Rew1000 was going on about either. The guy doesn't want an ITIN; he wants a SSN -- after he's got the L1.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- I have no idea what Rew1000 was going on about either. The guy doesn't want an ITIN; he wants a SSN -- after he's got the L1.
I was just responding to the question of where you find the form to apply for an ITIN:

Pete

I totally agree that an individual needs *either* an ITIN *or* a SSN, depending on status: if you're entitled to a SSN, you can't get an ITIN (even as an interim measure). And if you're on the VWP, neither is an option. That'll teach me to read all the posts in the thread first...

Last edited by rew1000; Mar 23rd 2008 at 2:19 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I told hubby we should go get the licence/id - i hate carrying my passport around - he checked with the woman who has been sorting us out with settling in and she said we need the SSN - it seems there is no consistency, as usual lol!!!
And be prepared to surrender your British driver's license, unless things have changed in the 11 years since I got my GA driver's license. Not wanting to give up my UK license, given that it is valid until age 70, I contacted the British Consulate in Atlanta. They told me not to worry - the state of Georgia sends the surrendered license to the consulate which then returns them to their rightful owners. And so it transpired.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

daftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nice

Originally Posted by mellybrown
YES I have learned to use the search function, and just spent 15 mins trying to find the answer to this question so dont shout at me

I have deffo read on here somewhere that you dont need a SSN to get the driving licence or state ID - well I think so anyway??

Someone said something about taking a printout of what it says on the dmv (equivalent) website about not having to have the SSN??

Or did I dream it, in which case maybe I should quit drinking???
In PA they require an SSN for a learners permit so I went to the SSN office who print out a letter saying you're not entitled to one (took like 1 minute) and then presented that at the DMV, was all smooth and painless.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daftpunk
In PA they require an SSN for a learners permit so I went to the SSN office who print out a letter saying you're not entitled to one (took like 1 minute) and then presented that at the DMV, was all smooth and painless.
But the catch is that the OP is entitled to one.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

daftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nicedaftpunk is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But the catch is that the OP is entitled to one.
Off he goes to get one then !
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:02 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by daftpunk
Off he goes to get one then !
I believe she has already made that intrepid journey. But she is waiting on the artist that pens in all those speckly bits on the card before they give it to the Claven clone to deliver to the happy holder.