Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

drivers licence/state id with no SSN??

drivers licence/state id with no SSN??

Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:14 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default drivers licence/state id with no SSN??

YES I have learned to use the search function, and just spent 15 mins trying to find the answer to this question so dont shout at me

I have deffo read on here somewhere that you dont need a SSN to get the driving licence or state ID - well I think so anyway??

Someone said something about taking a printout of what it says on the dmv (equivalent) website about not having to have the SSN??

Or did I dream it, in which case maybe I should quit drinking???
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drivers licence/state id with no SSN??

Originally Posted by mellybrown
YES I have learned to use the search function, and just spent 15 mins trying to find the answer to this question so dont shout at me

I have deffo read on here somewhere that you dont need a SSN to get the driving licence or state ID - well I think so anyway??

Someone said something about taking a printout of what it says on the dmv (equivalent) website about not having to have the SSN??

Fifty states; fifty answers!

Here's yours:
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...47371440&ty=dl
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think its a weird one, I didn't need or certainly wasn't asked for a SSN (still haven't even applied for mine!!) when i got my driving License... But OH was asked for his. I have heard that alot, I don't know if its because he's an L1 and im L2 or what. Friends told me that when they went to DMV (same office) they were both asked for it - and then others who weren't.. A 'L2' friend went the other day and she wasn't asked for it... I'm sure someone here knows the proper procedure!!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:24 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I told hubby we should go get the licence/id - i hate carrying my passport around - he checked with the woman who has been sorting us out with settling in and she said we need the SSN - it seems there is no consistency, as usual lol!!!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Fifty states; fifty answers!

Here's yours:
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...47371440&ty=dl
as FB said, it depends on the state, some allow it, some don't, and will give one valid for the visa etc...so DMV is the best place to find this info, even for a state ID
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I told hubby we should go get the licence/id - i hate carrying my passport around - he checked with the woman who has been sorting us out with settling in and she said we need the SSN - it seems there is no consistency, as usual lol!!!
unless you've got a greencard or a USC, techinically your supposed to carry your passport, most don't, and it's not like the police are allowed to ask your immigration status anyway
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

GeraldineGray is an unknown quantity at this point

You can apply for a Tax Identification Number in lieu of a SSN if your visa does not permit one.

Print out and fill in the one-page form
Go to the local Soc Sec office
Wait a few mins (I waited less than 10)
Worker takes your info
Card rec'd in the post a few days later
Bingo!
Did I mention that it's free?!?!?!

It won't get you credit etc but it can be used when they ask for a SSN and on your tax returns.

Good luck
PS - Getting a SSN is the same process on a different form so if you managed to stand in line at the Homeland Security, this will be a doddle.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeraldineGray
You can apply for a Tax Identification Number in lieu of a SSN if your visa does not permit one.

Go to the local Soc Sec office
Wait a few mins (I waited less than 10)
Worker takes your info
Card rec'd in the post a few days later
Bingo!
Did I mention that it's free?!?!?!

It won't get you credit etc but it can be used when they ask for a SSN and on your tax returns.

Good luck
PS - Getting a SSN is the same process on a different form so if you managed to stand in line at the Homeland Security, this will be a doddle.
OP is L2 I believe and needs to go and get her SSN. Georgia's DMV (they call it DVS for some strange reason!) states that you need to provide a SSN or a letter stating you aren't eligible for one. OP is eligible for a SSN. Therefore she needs to get it before applying for the license.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:41 pm
Resident Sillycow

OP is L2 I believe and needs to go and get her SSN. Georgia's DMV (they call it DVS for some strange reason!) states that you need to provide a SSN or a letter stating you aren't eligible for one. OP is eligible for a SSN. Therefore she needs to get it before applying for the license.
Thanks - SSN is applied for so I guess we just have to wait it out and hope it doesnt take too long
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:20 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Originally Posted by GeraldineGray

Hijacking the thread slightly, but where can I find the form? As a slight aside, I asked Chase for a c/card (my account is with them), and they said no, until I had a tax ID or SSN, so the former does help a little with getting credit.

Pete
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:01 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
Hijacking the thread slightly, but where can I find the form? As a slight aside, I asked Chase for a c/card (my account is with them), and they said no, until I had a tax ID or SSN, so the former does help a little with getting credit.

Pete
Which visa are you on now?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're desperate and SSN takes a while to arrive (mine arrived in 5 business days!), you could try getting the printout from SSA which lists the SSN and take that to the DMV.

PA DOT wouldn't let me get a state ID or license without the SSN.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:56 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Which visa are you on now?
I'm not on any visa yet, I've been over here off and on on a VWP, but my company has just started the process of getting an L1 (finally).
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:13 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
I'm not on any visa yet, I've been over here off and on on a VWP, but my company has just started the process of getting an L1 (finally).
Just searched your old threads. You were playing with fire!

Would wait until the L1 rather than trying to officially record the fact you've been "living" here on a VWP. You'll get a SSN a few weeks after you land with the L1 visa -- then is the time to get your driver license, apply for a credit card, etc.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:38 pm
Texas Pete

lol. Thanks. I'm still here in Tx, but will be flying back to the UK in a couple of weeked before my 90 days is up, I'm hoping that'll coicide, more or less, with my i/v at the embassy so that I don't need to spend too long in the UK. It took a while for my company to get going with the visa. Luckily all I've been doing over the past 3 months is looking for somewhere to live, visiting friends, consulting with business collegues and attending the occasional conference :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.