Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driver's Licence? Is this the right place for this thread??

Driver's Licence? Is this the right place for this thread??

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

daveanderson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driver's Licence? Is this the right place for this thread??

Ok...I've got a full clean English driver's licence...if I move to the States, can I simply call into the DMV and convert my licence to a US one? Or what's the procedure?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver's Licence? Is this the right place for this thread??

It depends on the state you are moving to - here in California you have to both a written and practical test to get your licence, but there really wasn't much to it

Check on the website of the DMV for the state you are moving to and it should tell you.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveanderson View Post
Ok...I've got a full clean English driver's licence...if I move to the States, can I simply call into the DMV and convert my licence to a US one? Or what's the procedure?
No!! you start again in most State

you take a test ...
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

daveanderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray View Post

you take a test ...
Start again!!! ARGHHH...

That's ok...just as a matter of interest, do most of you guys drive automatic's?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

That's ok...just as a matter of interest, do most of you guys drive automatic's?
not if i have a choice
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

Dave - I had to retake the test a few months ago (RI), written test - piece of p**s and that's despite the fact that when I did my test in England it wasn't required.

Practical - a joke - drive forward, reverse in a straight line, go through a 4-way stop and one way street. Total 10 minutes. Honestly makes the English test look like an advanced degree in quantum physics.

I got a score of 96 out of 100. Lost one point because I forgot to check that the examiner had his seatbelt on :-( - so don't forget that one ;-)

Moral of the story - don't stress - you will spend longer queuing in the DMV than you will for either part of the test!

He said to me afterwards "you drive very well...." I was like "thanks - I've been doing it for 17 years"!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

Is their something else ...
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live. My driving test was a lot more than that. It included hill parking and there was a school bus out at the time I was there. I also had to do a turn right on red. Read the 'rules of the road' or similiar highway code type handbook before attempting the written test.

And yes I have an automatic, I hadn't made it past the third lesson the previous 3 times I tried to learn in a manual.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

It's not as bad as you think....

I do, now that I'm o l d, my zippy days are behind me.

PS: all driver's license stuff is state-specific, so narrow your information to only the state you'll live in.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:05 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

written test and practical required in ohio. both total piece of cake after uk driving. i drove manual in the uk (apart from my mums automatic about 20 years ago) and switched with no issue to an automatic over here. (well unless you notice how many times i stick my hand into the drivers door compartment looking for the gear stick at traffic lights lol).
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you need to be tazered, it's the american way of life...especially on a question that is asked every couple of days...
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
you need to be tazered, it's the american way of life...especially on a question that is asked every couple of days...
omg, you've been AmurikaniZed, Bob!

Tasered.. tsk. BabyGirl keeping you up all hours?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
omg, you've been AmurikaniZed, Bob!

Tasered.. tsk. BabyGirl keeping you up all hours?
hehe..indeed...had to happen eventually

and so far, not to bad...we even went for a drive and a shopping spree, well window shop spree
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray View Post

you take a test ...
Unless you move to New Mexico where they give you a license for the next 60 years by simply showing them your UK one! (although this was 7 years ago)

If you end up in NJ though study for the written test it has 50 questions and is tougher than the one I took in AZ!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't, I plan to keep it that way too. Unless somebody gives me an SLR McLaren or something like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.