British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driver's Licence? Is this the right place for this thread?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drivers-licence-right-place-thread-531683/)

daveanderson Apr 23rd 2008 8:49 pm

Driver's Licence? Is this the right place for this thread??

Ok...I've got a full clean English driver's licence...if I move to the States, can I simply call into the DMV and convert my licence to a US one? Or what's the procedure?

Socal Local Apr 23rd 2008 8:51 pm

Re: Driver's Licence? Is this the right place for this thread??

It depends on the state you are moving to - here in California you have to both a written and practical test to get your licence, but there really wasn't much to it :)

Check on the website of the DMV for the state you are moving to and it should tell you.

Ray Apr 23rd 2008 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by daveanderson (Post 6255777)
Ok...I've got a full clean English driver's licence...if I move to the States, can I simply call into the DMV and convert my licence to a US one? Or what's the procedure?

No!! you start again in most State

you take a test ...

daveanderson Apr 23rd 2008 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6255788)

you take a test ...

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

That's ok...just as a matter of interest, do most of you guys drive automatic's?

TruBrit Apr 23rd 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by daveanderson (Post 6255797)
Start again!!! ARGHHH...

That's ok...just as a matter of interest, do most of you guys drive automatic's?

not if i have a choice ;)

ri_mischief Apr 23rd 2008 9:00 pm

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

Dave - I had to retake the test a few months ago (RI), written test - piece of p**s and that's despite the fact that when I did my test in England it wasn't required.

Practical - a joke - drive forward, reverse in a straight line, go through a 4-way stop and one way street. Total 10 minutes. Honestly makes the English test look like an advanced degree in quantum physics.

I got a score of 96 out of 100. Lost one point because I forgot to check that the examiner had his seatbelt on :-( - so don't forget that one ;-)

Moral of the story - don't stress - you will spend longer queuing in the DMV than you will for either part of the test!

He said to me afterwards "you drive very well...." I was like "thanks - I've been doing it for 17 years"!

Ray Apr 23rd 2008 9:01 pm

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

Is their something else ...

chicagojlo Apr 23rd 2008 9:03 pm

Depends where you live. My driving test was a lot more than that. It included hill parking and there was a school bus out at the time I was there. I also had to do a turn right on red. Read the 'rules of the road' or similiar highway code type handbook before attempting the written test.

And yes I have an automatic, I hadn't made it past the third lesson the previous 3 times I tried to learn in a manual.

meauxna Apr 23rd 2008 10:39 pm

Start again!!! ARGHHH...

It's not as bad as you think....

I do, now that I'm o l d, my zippy days are behind me. :huh:

PS: all driver's license stuff is state-specific, so narrow your information to only the state you'll live in.

MsElui Apr 23rd 2008 11:05 pm

written test and practical required in ohio. both total piece of cake after uk driving. i drove manual in the uk (apart from my mums automatic about 20 years ago) and switched with no issue to an automatic over here. (well unless you notice how many times i stick my hand into the drivers door compartment looking for the gear stick at traffic lights lol).

Bob Apr 24th 2008 12:11 am

you need to be tazered, it's the american way of life...especially on a question that is asked every couple of days... :p

meauxna Apr 24th 2008 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6256611)
you need to be tazered, it's the american way of life...especially on a question that is asked every couple of days... :p

omg, you've been AmurikaniZed, Bob!

Tasered.. tsk. BabyGirl keeping you up all hours? :D

Bob Apr 24th 2008 12:39 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6256659)
omg, you've been AmurikaniZed, Bob!

Tasered.. tsk. BabyGirl keeping you up all hours? :D

hehe..indeed...had to happen eventually :lol:

and so far, not to bad...we even went for a drive and a shopping spree, well window shop spree :lol:

denzil75 Apr 24th 2008 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6255788)

you take a test ...

Unless you move to New Mexico where they give you a license for the next 60 years by simply showing them your UK one! (although this was 7 years ago)

If you end up in NJ though study for the written test it has 50 questions and is tougher than the one I took in AZ!

Duncan Roberts Apr 24th 2008 1:40 pm

I don't, I plan to keep it that way too. Unless somebody gives me an SLR McLaren or something like that.