Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers Licence Dilemna

Drivers Licence Dilemna

Old Apr 10th 2001, 7:22 pm
F

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:25:09 -0400, "Jonathan_ATC" <[email protected]> asked me
about my California DL, which I was issued while on a k-1 (after filing for AOS):

>

Jonathan,

After passing the written test, they issued me a temporary DL, valid, I think it was,
two months. After taking the drive test, they issued a normal card-type class C DL
valid from Dec 2000 till Aug 2004.

F.

Old Apr 11th 2001, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

smldnabjp is an unknown quantity at this point

I just have a question you may or may not be able to answer as of yet: will you have your interview in Manchester, NH or will you need to go to boston? We are in NH as well and I seemed to have incorrectly assumed that we would be stuck going to boston, Manchester is a lot closer, but it sounds as if we will still have to go to boston either way. My next comment is they allowed you to register the car with out any questions, were you only able to do this for 6 months or did they let you do it for the year? My fiance has a car here currently and we had to register it in my name first to be able to register it for the full year (at the town/city hall). I'm glad I read this post because now I know of a potential problem with the dmv. Humm... thanks I'm glad we now have a heads up and if you can answer my questions about filing the aos and where the interview will occur I would really be greatful. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Misti Canada
[B]First, some background. I got my K-1 Visa on November 15, 2000, therefore it is good
until May 14, 2001. Well, I crossed the border from Canada on January 19, 2001 and we
were married February 14, 2001. I have obtained my SSN in my married name, registered
and insured my Jeep in my married name and added my name to my husbands existing bank
account. We filed our AOS package personally in Manchester, NH on February 28th,
2001. I received my AP the same day and had fingerprints taken as well. I still have
to travel to Boston to apply for my EAD. The Immigration officer said it would be 8-9
months before an AOS interview.

Gee and I thought getting a drivers licence would be one of the easier things to
obtain...WRONG! It really makes no sense to me though that if I can get a SSN and
register and insure my Jeep that I can't get a NH drivers licence. By the way, NH
doesn't require me to take a written or road test, just a vision test.