Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driver's licence after entering on a K1?

Driver's licence after entering on a K1?

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driver's licence after entering on a K1?

I hope that someone can help me out here. I arrived on a K1 visa just over 3 months ago, got married and filed I-485 for AOS. Now I want a car, so need a driver's licence, but my I-94 "expired" last week. I went to the DMV this morning and was told no chance of a licence until my AOS is complete, which could be a couple of years as I understand it. Any experience of getting a licence after the I-94 expires?

Any help would be appreciated - I miss driving!
Thanks
Alistair
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver's licence after entering on a K1?

Originally posted by Alistair
I hope that someone can help me out here. I arrived on a K1 visa just over 3 months ago, got married and filed I-485 for AOS. Now I want a car, so need a driver's licence, but my I-94 "expired" last week. I went to the DMV this morning and was told no chance of a licence until my AOS is complete, which could be a couple of years as I understand it. Any experience of getting a licence after the I-94 expires?

Thanks
Alistair
Did you file the I-765, Employment Authorization form? Every state is slightly different, but here in KY you need your EAD in order to get a drivers license.

My fiance (soon to be hubby) will most likely wait until after we are married and he gets the 1 yr EAD approved.

And depending on where you are actually from, you can drive on your license here for up to a year (but that might depend on your state as well).

Cheers,
Jamie
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Alistair

As posted check on your states regs as far as driving with a foreign license (if you have one). The time frames range from being able to drive for 60 days to up to a year depending on the state. We live in PA and were required to get the EAD before my husband was able to get his permit...taking the license test a week from today. He did not get a permit based on K1 status or his I-94, it was based on his marriage to a USC so they needed things like our marriage cert, his AOS filing receipt, EAD, SS card, etc. When we went for the permit the person kept looking at his K1 in his passport and this list of visas that had K1 marked as no for getting a license. I actually had to tell him that my husband was eligible due to his marriage to me. I wish you the best. Come to think of it Anto applied for his permit on the 8th and he entered the country on Jan 4th so his I-94 would have been expired. Hope this helps...your best bet is to really research NJ state law as far as driving because you may need to be more informed than the person issuing the permit to get anywhere.

Best of Luck!!

MarDae
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply.

I have been on the phone for a long time, and just spoke to someone who assured me that I can use my UK licence until I am elgibile for a New Jersey licence (she said this should be the same for all states). Eligibility for the state licence would require me to get either a green card (some time in the distant future...) or an EAD card, valid for a year. My next move, I guess, is to go to Newark and see if I can get the EAD card. Though I can drive here with a UK licence, I can't get insurance, or buy a car... Oh well. This information might be useful to someone?
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

What you will need is a form SSAL676 from social security stating that they will not issue you a SS# at this time. Additiionally you will need to prove legal presence in the country. EAD is not a requirement .

Thanks
Alistair
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

I have been on the phone for a long time, and just spoke to someone who assured me that I can use my UK licence until I am elgibile for a New Jersey licence (she said this should be the same for all states). Eligibility for the state licence would require me to get either a green card (some time in the distant future...) or an EAD card, valid for a year. My next move, I guess, is to go to Newark and see if I can get the EAD card. Though I can drive here with a UK licence, I can't get insurance, or buy a car... Oh well. This information might be useful to someone?

Hi,
Why can't you get insurance or buy a car? I've heard of people with foreign license's buying cars in the US before. It might depend on the dealership and how you are going to pay for the car. It would be worth looking into. You should probably also be able to get insurance...can you get on your spouse's policy. It might be more expensive than getting insurance with a US license but it should be possible. Once again, it's in your best interest to investigate it. In PA it is illegal to drive without insurance, I would assume NJ is the same. Make another few phone calls and you might be pleasantly surprised! Best of luck!!!!

MarDae
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarDae
You should probably also be able to get insurance...can you get on your spouse's policy. It might be more expensive than getting insurance with a US license but it should be possible. Once again, it's in your best interest to investigate it. In PA it is illegal to drive without insurance, I would assume NJ is the same. Make another few phone calls and you might be pleasantly surprised! Best of luck!!!!

MarDae
MarDae, getting car insurance is a little more complicated than getting the license from what I've been told by my insurance company. My company has told me that we either have to have proof that he can drive here on his UK license (by getting a copy of the KY state law that says he can), or we have to wait until he has his license. I can't simply add him because he'll be my hubby.

Alistair, you may want to speak to your wife's insurance company to see if they will cover you while you are driving on your UK license, as long as you provide them proof that it is legal for you to drive on your UK license.

You should also be able to buy a car, assuming that you have a lender (if you're wanting a loan) willing to work with you. It may be necessary for you to have a SSN in order to get a car loan. If it is, you may want to look into having your wife actually buying the car and putting the car in both of your names. If your wife's name is on the title, then she can add the new car to her insurance policy and add you as an authorized driver possibly.

Good luck!
Jamie

PS: It's also illegal here in KY to drive without insurance. I think it is in most states.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

A valid I-94 and your passport will allow you to obtain your DL. You also need a letter from Social Security stating that they cannot issue you a number.

Go on line find the regulations and print them out and go prepared. It is common for banks and dmv to "quote the Patriot Act, or immigrations, or homeland security". I had quite an ordeal with DMV and my credit union in Louisiana. I now carry copies of the patriot act and CIS requirements with my other immigrations junk.

You can prevail if you persist. Ask to speak with a supervisor. Ask them to show you where it says.....

It took 5-7 people at DMV to finally resolve my issue.

Good luck!!

Thanks
Alistair
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
MarDae, getting car insurance is a little more complicated than getting the license from what I've been told by my insurance company. My company has told me that we either have to have proof that he can drive here on his UK license (by getting a copy of the KY state law that says he can), or we have to wait until he has his license. I can't simply add him because he'll be my hubby.
is in most states.

Like I said possible...it doesn't surprise me that the insurance company would expect you to do the leg work to prove that a UK license is valid. We didn't have to worry about it since my husband didn't have a license from Ireland so we totally had to wait until he was able to drive with a US permit. It was stance though, when I added him to my policy I don't remember them asking me for a driver's license number or anything. Maybe it's because I just added him to my car. I remember reading about someone else who was going to add their spouse to their policy with a foreign license and it was more expensive than when they got their US license, but not impossible.

I guess everything is relative to the state you live in and their driving policies. Thankfully PA now lets you get the license as a spouse of a USC. You used to have to wait for AOS completion!

MarDae
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also; insurance companies vary. Progressive allowed me to add my out of country/unlicensed to be added to my policy. It lowered my premiums by $23.00 dollars/month.

Go figure.

Beware though and read your policy.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by MarDae
Like I said possible...it doesn't surprise me that the insurance company would expect you to do the leg work to prove that a UK license is valid. We didn't have to worry about it since my husband didn't have a license from Ireland so we totally had to wait until he was able to drive with a US permit. It was stance though, when I added him to my policy I don't remember them asking me for a driver's license number or anything. Maybe it's because I just added him to my car. I remember reading about someone else who was going to add their spouse to their policy with a foreign license and it was more expensive than when they got their US license, but not impossible.

I guess everything is relative to the state you live in and their driving policies. Thankfully PA now lets you get the license as a spouse of a USC. You used to have to wait for AOS completion!

MarDae
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice. I actually have a SSN, but that doesn't seem to help. I just went to a different DMV office to tell them that INS has no problem with me having a licence, but they told me I had to go to the regional office, which is quite a long way away, so a trip for another day. My only concern there is that the lady at the information desk said I need a valid I-94 or a green card, though her colleague asked me for my US birth certificate in addition to the UK one, I am not sure whether they are the right people to ask!

My wife's insurance company said that theywould not insure me until I have a US licence, by the way. May just be their policy. The people I spoke to at car dealerships told me I needed a US licence to buy a car, but how much a car salesman knows about immigration law is open to question...
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

You gotta do your homework here. I do recall that a trip to the regional office would be necessary. Get online and find the law before you go, print it out, and bring it with you. On my fifth (I think) trip to louisiana DMV I basically told them I wasn't leaving until they accepted my wife's application or showed me in writing that an EAD was required. I won...eventually. I confronted them with the law in print. It then took 5-7 people and an hour but they finally saw the law.

Thanks for all the advice. I actually have a SSN, but that doesn't seem to help. I just went to a different DMV office to tell them that INS has no problem with me having a licence, but they told me I had to go to the regional office, which is quite a long way away, so a trip for another day. My only concern there is that the lady at the information desk said I need a valid I-94 or a green card, though her colleague asked me for my US birth certificate in addition to the UK one, I am not sure whether they are the right people to ask!

My wife's insurance company said that theywould not insure me until I have a US licence, by the way. May just be their policy. The people I spoke to at car dealerships told me I needed a US licence to buy a car, but how much a car salesman knows about immigration law is open to question...
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The people I spoke to at car dealerships told me I needed a US licence to buy a car, but how much a car salesman knows about immigration law is open to question...
I'm sure that David Beckham could walk into any car dealership he wanted in the US and buy a car without any problems...if you pay for the car in full what do they care if your from the US or not. I could see them having a problem leasing a car to someone without a US license but if you are legally able to drive in this country (with your UK license) I can't see why they couldn't sell to you. I'd also check with another insurance company...maybe it's time for a change. I'm sorry that this has become such a hassle for you! It's too bad it's not standardized since my experiences in one state won't neccessarily translate to what you might expect in another.

Good Luck!

MarDae
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:36 pm
Sarahstokesuk

Hi....I have actual NJ experience.....

Like you I went with K1 and was turned away but told I could drive on UK
license, we bought a car in my husband's name and managed to get me insured as
secondary driver (First Trenton Indemnity Co.) with UK license...

I got my 1 year EAD and went back ( also with 6 points ID, very important!),
they gave me permit, I went back the next week and took the computerized test
and they gave me my license (no actual road test!!). My license is only valid
to the date printed on my EAD and I have to take greencard or next EAD,
whichever comes first, to prevent it being suspended on that day.

Good Luck,
Sarah

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lpdiver
You gotta do your homework here. I do recall that a trip to the regional office would be necessary. Get online and find the law before you go, print it out, and bring it with you.
lpdiver - I know this is probably a stupid question, but Google doesn't seem to give an answer - can you give me a pointer as to where I could find the relevant law?

I have a UK licence, by the way. I also have a SSN, and a 3 month EAD issued before we got married (expires next month). The AOS and EAD renewal were only filed last week, so no receipt yet. The I-94 stamp in my passport says valid until 17 April.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.