Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers ED......

Drivers ED......

Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drivers ED......

Well my lovely bitch from hell oldest daughter tonight has gone out, on her FIRST drivers Education Driving Lesson!!!!

She is 15 years and 1 month, 23 days and 11 hours.... AND SHE IS AT THIS VERY MOMENT BEHIND A WHEEL OF A CAR OUT THERE IN THE DARK, WITH SO MANY UNSUSPECTING DRIVERS AROUND HER... my heartfelt sympathy to them all!

Its crazy! But when should kids be allowed to drive? When are they really mature enough? Big question I suppose is "WHY"? I suppose its because she can, she seems to be enjoying the classroom part, but to really let her out on her own in 10 months? I am not so sure about that? Its quite daunting as a mother.

Anyone have any thoughts of the plusses and the negatives of driving at such a young age?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:48 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Re: Drivers ED......

They're doing it at night? I find that weird.

I am at this moment teaching 2 teenage boys to drive, gawd help me.

I refused to let them get their permits at 15, no matter how much they whined. Reason? I've seen them behind the wheel of golf carts!

The oldest got his permit at 16 and I let his brother get it at 15, but not allowed to get his licence until he's 17.

Scariest thing in the world IMO!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:51 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Just think, YOU won't have to take her to the mall or her friends house or after school activities OR more importantly a job. Plus you can send her to run your errands for you. She'll love the opportunity to drive and you'll have more time to do stuff for yourself. My parents loved the fact they could send me to the market to do their grocery shopping for them.

You'll get used to the idea of her driving. It took awhile for my mom to get used to the idea of her 'baby' driving. Over time you'll realize the benefits definitely out-weigh the negatives. Hey, you gotta start driving sometime eh. Oh and think of all the practice they'll be getting while they are living at home with you. They will need it when they go off to uni where they will be driving without your supervision.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:52 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

You will never sleep well again........
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:54 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
You will never sleep well again........
My mom thought that to herself the day I was born. Her worrying started that day and will never cease no matter how old I get.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Well my lovely bitch from hell oldest daughter tonight has gone out, on her FIRST drivers Education Driving Lesson!!!!

She is 15 years and 1 month, 23 days and 11 hours.... AND SHE IS AT THIS VERY MOMENT BEHIND A WHEEL OF A CAR OUT THERE IN THE DARK, WITH SO MANY UNSUSPECTING DRIVERS AROUND HER... my heartfelt sympathy to them all!

Its crazy! But when should kids be allowed to drive? When are they really mature enough? Big question I suppose is "WHY"? I suppose its because she can, she seems to be enjoying the classroom part, but to really let her out on her own in 10 months? I am not so sure about that? Its quite daunting as a mother.

Anyone have any thoughts of the plusses and the negatives of driving at such a young age?
The first time my daughter got behind a wheel of a car was her first driving lesson. The instructor immediately took her onto I-80 and said 'if you want to drive with one hand I suggest you start now'.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13

I only see the negatives. I was quite glad we moved to the UK when my oldest daughter turned 16. She just got her first driver's license last year......she's 25!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:34 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I only see the negatives. I was quite glad we moved to the UK when my oldest daughter turned 16. She just got her first driver's license last year......she's 25!
Yeah, but she's out 9 years of solid driving experience. That in my mind is a HUGE negative.

Can you tell I love to drive
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter just turned 15 and thankfully isn't pressuring us to take driver's ed yet. HOWEVER, her father announced that he would take her to a "very large parking lot" and let her drive around.

I said "you do realise that she will have absolutely NO insurance cover and that you really can't do this unless it is your own land?"

Now I am thinking about teaching her how to drive.... on our family farm on a tractor!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Yeah, but she's out 9 years of solid driving experience. That in my mind is a HUGE negative.

Can you tell I love to drive
I see it as 9 years of her having a chance to mature.....
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
My daughter just turned 15 and thankfully isn't pressuring us to take driver's ed yet. HOWEVER, her father announced that he would take her to a "very large parking lot" and let her drive around.

I said "you do realise that she will have absolutely NO insurance cover and that you really can't do this unless it is your own land?"

Now I am thinking about teaching her how to drive.... on our family farm on a tractor!

Only consolation I have is that they're moving over to the UK and can't drive till they're 18. Which begs the question. Do they have to take a driving test over there again?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:09 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I see it as 9 years of her having a chance to mature.....
That may be. I'm not in any position to second-guess you. However from my experience I would say that learning how to drive at an early age afforded me an independence that was freeing. I will be the first to admit I had a lot of growing up to do still. I was and still am a bit impulsive. Despite that without learning I wouldn't have been able to have my job that I worked to help put myself through school. Having my mom take me would have been impossible considering my work schedule changed from time to time and the likely hood that I had to stay longer at school for studying. I think for me being able to drive afforded me more opportunities in the long run that helped me mature. Just my 2 cents. It would be an much different story if I had lived in an area like New York where using public transport is better than owning a car. If that were the case I'd probably wouldn't have a license at my age.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Only consolation I have is that they're moving over to the UK and can't drive till they're 18. Which begs the question. Do they have to take a driving test over there again?
17 yrs in the UK...sorry.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
17 yrs in the UK...sorry.
to learn, but to take the test, it's 18 I thought....made the theory test a bit harder too, 55 odd questions now...I remember when it was 35 questions...
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They're doing it at night? I find that weird.
not a bad thing, they crash it's on the teachers watch and insurance

up in maine, they've got to have if under 25 years, 10 hours of night time driving before being allowed to take the test which is not a bad idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.