Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driver responses to emergency service vehicles

Driver responses to emergency service vehicles

Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:05 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driver responses to emergency service vehicles

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That, Dawn of the Dead and Resident Evil.
Professor Romero's work again! That man is one kick ass researcher and I'd be delighted to have him at my back when TSHTF.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What was that 80's film which was meant to be based on a true story where the guy goes to Haii and gets mixed up with zombie stuff?
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:22 am

What was that 80's film which was meant to be based on a true story where the guy goes to Haii and gets mixed up with zombie stuff?
Don't remember the title, but I know the one you mean. There was lots of blowing powdered shit in folks faces...
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:25 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

The Serpent and the Rainbow.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
The Serpent and the Rainbow.
Thanks, that's it!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Shadowman is a fab zombie/voodoo videogame
Attached Thumbnails Driver responses to emergency service vehicles-shadow.jpg  
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Its been a while since I've had a rant about anything, so must be time for one, and I was treated to a grand spectacle of a near accident ironically caused by a fire engine passing this morning that made me think of it!

As if driving over here isn't bad enough already, one thing that really ticks me off is the general driver responses to approaching emergency service vehicles here. To put it bluntly, its nothing short of a cluster****. Seems that when an ambulance or fire engine is approaching, a mass panic always ensues. Some cars just stop dead in the middle of the road; some get over on the verge, some even get over on the other side of the road . The result is that the driver of the ambulance or whatever has to drive around the chaos and second guess this random craziness by the drivers, which makes his job even harder than if they had all just stayed where they were or just slowed down a bit to let him through rather than swerve around or just dead stop. And then, when he's gone through, you get some utterly rude people who lock onto the back of it as an opportunity to gain a few car lengths past the ones in the front who had all pulled over....arrgh!

Never did I ever notice anything like this in the UK - for instance, if an ambulance is coming in the other direction, it never causes a blind panic with people just stopping/swerving around etc like they do here. Also if one is coming from behind, it just seems that people handle it a whole lot more sensibly in the UK, i.e. either staying put or continuing along just slowing down as necessary to let it through, rather than the madness that ensues here.

Is there a law here that says you must get off the road at all costs, even if its blatantly unsafe to do so? I'm not saying don't get out of the way, but for some reason here, it just seems that people take leave of their senses to do so.
Unfortunately that kind of driving was very common in the part of London I lived in, just exactly as you describe it.

I've seen people driving up the bumper of a blue light ambulance on the North Circular on more than one occasion.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Shaun of the Dead: best zombie movie ever or not?

Discuss.
My husband thinks so....
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:09 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to go off the zombie topic for a moment

I have noted round these parts that the emergency vehicles seem to use the siren very sparsely. Given the the masses of neon and other lighting around, it is sometimes hard to spot them as soon as you'd like to unless they are lit up like a Christmas tree. Which, of course, at this time of year, is still no good.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Shaun of the Dead: best zombie movie ever or not?

Discuss.

Best RomZomCom

but best Zombie movie has to go to Wild Zero
with Japanese punk band Guitar Wolf
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267116/

its kind of like the Rocky Horror Picture Show with zombies
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:54 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen Zombieland yet, but I have heard it is pretty funny.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:03 pm

I've started a poll on zombie related matters.

Gentlemen - choose your weapons.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid

I have noted round these parts that the emergency vehicles seem to use the siren very sparsely. Given the the masses of neon and other lighting around, it is sometimes hard to spot them as soon as you'd like to unless they are lit up like a Christmas tree. Which, of course, at this time of year, is still no good.
Hmmmm, must be a Yankee thing then.
In our small town the emergency services seem to delight in using sirens in the middle of the night, despite the fact that they are the only vehicles on the road. Don't they know that the baddies will hear them coming?
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:58 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Best RomZomCom

but best Zombie movie has to go to Wild Zero
with Japanese punk band Guitar Wolf
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267116/

its kind of like the Rocky Horror Picture Show with zombies
Thanks for the tip. Apparently it's on Pirate Bay (if anyone is interested )
Old Dec 25th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid

Exact opposite round here....seems to be a competition about whose fire engine has got the loudest airhorn and who can lean on it the longest! Given some of the crazy driver manouvres in front of them, I don't blame em, but I think scaring the crap out of panicked drivers even further is a bit counter productive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.