Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driver responses to emergency service vehicles

Driver responses to emergency service vehicles

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver responses to emergency service vehicles

Originally Posted by Dan725
Not saying there are not dickheads in the UK - but it pales by comparison. When I see a fire engine in my rearview mirror here, I'm more worried about what random acts other people will engage in than I ever was there.
I agree with you - people just seem to panic.

Gawd help us if there is a Zombie invasion.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

Never did I ever notice anything like this in the UK - for instance, if an ambulance is coming in the other direction, it never causes a blind panic with people just stopping/swerving around etc like they do here. Also if one is coming from behind, it just seems that people handle it a whole lot more sensibly in the UK, i.e. either staying put or continuing along just slowing down as necessary to let it through, rather than the madness that ensues here.
I have to disagree. I've been watching a lot of Roadwars UK lately, and one of the things I've noticed is how stupidly people try to get out of the way. Complete panic. Even on the M-way people just oblivious to the blues and twos behind them.

Nice thing here in the Chicago burbs is the white light that goes on at an intersection when an emergency vehicle is coming your way.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:20 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I agree with you - people just seem to panic.

My wife god bless her, drove over a curb about a foot high trying to get out of the way of a fire engine. Put a hole in the front tyre and and ****ing great bulge in the rear tyre. She panics.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:48 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This picture reminded me of this thread. Actually this is a coach crash where two died. Not sure why the police car looks off the road.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...284_de27-1.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8427781.stm
It's off the road because the plod wasn't a good driver and skidded off the road
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I've been to Germany twice but can't prove what my husband says about German emergency vehicles. He claims during his 12 years of living there that the EV have a bar that pushes cars out of the way if it does move from there path. If this is true I would love to see it used here.
I don't think it's true. First, I've never seen such a bar on any emergency vehicle in Europe, and second, if an emergency vehicle would hit another vehicle (either driving or parked) would this cause tremendous danger to the person(s) occupying this other vehicle. I don't think the emergency outweighs the danger caused by the collision.
In the Netherlands, if an emergency vehicle on it's way to the fire or patient or whatever, collides with another vehicle it is required by law to stop and deal with the collision before it can continue its way.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Soccer Ref will become famous soon enough

Has anyone seen over here yet the newer Roadwars-type series that was filmed with Humberside Police? It was being filmed just as I left the UK in May 2007. I keep searching but can only find the Thames Valley programmes.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 1:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

law in MA is to stop regardless of the lane of traffic, technically even if there is a median barrier on the interstate, though not enforced.

In ME, it's slow down for oncoming and pull over if safe to do so if coming from behind.

clusterpuck is usually what happens though.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

And then, when he's gone through, you get some utterly rude people who lock onto the back of it as an opportunity to gain a few car lengths past the ones in the front who had all pulled over....arrgh!

Never did I ever notice anything like this in the UK
This one happens all the time in the UK...

The other stuff you said I kind of agree though. I think UK drivers are generally more aware of what's going on around them than American drivers. My sister is a paramedic in Glasgow and has some stories though... it's not so much that people don't know what to do as they choose to do things like slam the brakes on right in front of her, or pretend to be about to step off the pavement right in front of her, etc...
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:20 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I should imagine its probably the same here, but the actual implementation of it is severely lacking...especially the people who then try to take advantage of the situation and gain car lengths over the ones stopped in front of them. That is how the accident nearly occurred this morning, a car had built up a fair lick of speed in his overtaking bid and seemed surprised when someone just pulled off the verge in front of him.
Yep, same law in TX. What you're failing to allow for is that all of the drivers here are shit at it.

Good girl!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:41 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Shaun of the Dead: best zombie movie ever or not?

Discuss.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:44 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nettlebed

Discuss.
Yes. End of.

Though SWMBO sets a lot of store by the works of the eminent researcher, Dr Romero...
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Discuss.
That, Dawn of the Dead and Resident Evil.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:48 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Discuss.
does 28 Days Later count as a zombie movie?
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elfman
I really don't like that one.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:03 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Not really because they are still alive just infected with the RAGE virus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.