British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driver License Renewal when due to expire with Green Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driver-license-renewal-when-due-expire-green-card-869048/)

lrdiscovery Dec 10th 2015 5:02 pm

Driver License Renewal when due to expire with Green Card

Hi all

My conditional permanent residence Green Card (2 year card) is due to expire in April 2016, my driver license (Virginia) expires on the same day, I renewed it recently as I added CDL but they only renewed it to the same expiry date.

As I will be applying for removal of conditions from January 2016 how do I renew my driver license if I do not have a "current" green card? Given that the actual renewal can take longer than ninety days

Any help, answers, or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

SpoogleDrummer Dec 10th 2015 5:16 pm

Re: Driver License Renewal when due to expire with Green Card

They'll send you a letter with an extension when you apply to remove conditions (I think it's a year, but can't remember) so that should suffice for a drivers license extension. Chances are it will be quicker than 90 days though, my removal took nowhere near that time.

Pulaski Dec 10th 2015 5:41 pm

Drivers licenses automatically expire when your legal right to live in the US expires, so your DL can't be renewed until your permanent resident status has been extended/renewed. ..... Otherwise, what SpoogleDrummer said. :nod:

Noorah101 Dec 10th 2015 6:13 pm

Yep, that 1-year extension letter is what you'll need.

Rene

lrdiscovery Dec 10th 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks for the swift responses

I will try the form/letter when I get it, not that I don't trust the dark forces of the DMV or anything :)

Noorah101 Dec 10th 2015 6:55 pm

Be prepared for your license to be renewed for just one year, then Jane to do it again when you get your 10 year card.

Rene

glowie Dec 10th 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11811844)
Drivers licenses automatically expire when your legal right to live in the US expires, so your DL can't be renewed until your permanent resident status has been extended/renewed. ..... Otherwise, what SpoogleDrummer said. :nod:

That's interesting. When I first got my driver's license I had a J-1 good until 10/14/14, they still gave a driver's license good until September 2018. And yes, they have seen the visa otherwise I wouldn't have gotten one back then. I also had to renew three times since then, one move to a different address, one lost license and adding my motorcycle endorsement. No one ever asked again for my passport (I showed them my SSN with DHS restriction when I went to replace the lost license) and/or green card (when I finally had it).

Does that mean that I was lucky and don't need to worry about it or will my license expire with my current green card even though it has a different expiration date?

Pulaski Dec 10th 2015 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by glowie (Post 11811901)
That's interesting. When I first got my driver's license I had a J-1 good until 10/14/14, they still gave a driver's license good until September 2018. And yes, they have seen the visa otherwise I wouldn't have gotten one back then. I also had to renew three times since then, one move to a different address, one lost license and adding my motorcycle endorsement. No one ever asked again for my passport (I showed them my SSN with DHS restriction when I went to replace the lost license) and/or green card (when I finally had it).

Does that mean that I was lucky and don't need to worry about it or will my license expire with my current green card even though it has a different expiration date?

Sounds like an error to me, and perhaps a self-perpetuating one (somehow you have been flagged as a USC, or not flagged at a permanent resident).

lrdiscovery Dec 10th 2015 7:05 pm

Noorah

Thanks, I intend to do the citizenship thing so I won't be needing the whole of the ten year card, hopefully about a year of it will suffice LOL

hungryhorace Dec 11th 2015 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11811905)
Sounds like an error to me, and perhaps a self-perpetuating one (somehow you have been flagged as a USC, or not flagged at a permanent resident).

I was given a 5 year DL when I moved here in 2013 on an L-1. The underlying petition was approved for 3 years, and my visa 5 years. Accordingly the MA RMV gave me a DL that expired in 2018.

What I can't get my head around is that a DL expires so soon. I'm used to m UK licence not expiring until I reach 70 years of age.

cheradenine Dec 11th 2015 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11812403)
I was given a 5 year DL when I moved here in 2013 on an L-1. The underlying petition was approved for 3 years, and my visa 5 years. Accordingly the MA RMV gave me a DL that expired in 2018. What I can't get my head around is that a DL expires so soon. I'm used to m UK licence not expiring until I reach 70 years of age.

Do you have an older UK licence? I think they changed the rules back home because on mine it says it expires in 2023. You just have to update your photo to extend it.I think I have had the same issue with the DMV and the expiration date of my California license. Having passed the joke that counts for a driving test here, I received my license that apparently lasts until 2020.I used my EAD to take the test as my I-94 had expired ages ago, but that only lasts a year.I also received my appointment letter for my green card the other day. If I am approved would I need to update the licence?

Noorah101 Dec 11th 2015 7:32 pm

Not immediately, no. You can renew closer to the expiration of the license.

Rene

hungryhorace Dec 11th 2015 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by cheradenine (Post 11812617)
Do you have an older UK licence? I think they changed the rules back home because on mine it says it expires in 2023.

I was the first year that had card / counterpart licences pushed on us. My counterpart currently says it expires many many years into the future.

I know they've changed the rules on ensuring that all 'older' DL holders in the UK 'upgrade' to the card licence, but the Road Traffic Act still doesn't expire your DL if you don't renew your photocard. That's a common misunderstanding.

Bob Dec 11th 2015 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11812403)

What I can't get my head around is that a DL expires so soon. I'm used to m UK licence not expiring until I reach 70 years of age.

That is because it is a good money earner and MA is shit.

It's anywhere from 5-10 years depending on the state. I think Maine was 7 years.

You can renew the first time around online in MA though...or via AAA...I've got a second renewal due soon, as it's always on your birthday...almost tempted to get AAA just to avoid a trip to the RMV...Milford, Worcester, Leominster etc, all are a bag of shit to deal with.

hungryhorace Dec 11th 2015 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11812784)
That is because it is a good money earner and MA is shit.

It's anywhere from 5-10 years depending on the state. I think Maine was 7 years.

You can renew the first time around online in MA though...or via AAA...I've got a second renewal due soon, as it's always on your birthday...almost tempted to get AAA just to avoid a trip to the RMV...Milford, Worcester, Leominster etc, all are a bag of shit to deal with.

I've used the AAA locations in Burlington and just outside Danvers to good effect for licence renewals (change of address). A nice benefit!