Reload this Page >

Driver License Question

Driver License Question

Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driver License Question

Hi all -

Is it helpful if your husband/wife already has a driver's license from their home country? Can one use that to drive when they arrive here? I know when I go to a foreign country to rent a car I use my WI driver's license. Is the same here true? I've heard of something called in int'l DL but don't know much else - does such a thing exist?

I was wondering if this is a way of my husband being able to drive until his EAD arrives (of course he has to get here first to apply for it!) which he'll need to get the SSN which then gets him the DL.

Wishful thinking or is this possible?

Thanks,
Patty Khadijah
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:16 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver License Question

He will be able to drive when he gets here using his foreign DL for a period not to exceed 30 days http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...y/drivrlic.htm

In Wisconsin he will then have to take the written and practical parts of his test.
Taken from WI DMV
Complete the application form, including:

Social security number (SSN)
Sponsorship section if you are under 18 years old
Medical questions. For some medical conditions, you will be asked to have your doctor provide medical information

Provide your name and date of birth, bring:

A passport or certified copy of your birth certificate
One other acceptable form of identification which has your signature or photograph (i.e.; state ID card, military or student ID card, credit card, social security card, etc.)
This requirement applies to all persons getting a Wisconsin license for the first time.

Hospital birth certificates or baptismal certificates are not acceptable. Get a copy of your birth certificate at your Register of Deeds or city health office.

Pass the knowledge, vision, and driving skills tests
CDL license holders with a hazardous materials (H) endorsement must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test.
CDL license holders with a school bus (S) endorsement must pass the school bus knowledge test, the pre-trip and a driving skills test.
Hope this helps
Pete
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:34 pm
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point

Ack... anybody know about Rhode Island?
I have my Belgian driver's license, but will be living in RI for about two years after marriage. Wonder what I'll have to do...
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:32 am
Mrraveltay

Noortje wrote:

> Ack... anybody know about Rhode Island?
    >
    > I have my Belgian driver's license, but will be living in RI for about
    > two years after marriage. Wonder what I'll have to do...
    >

It depends on the state. Moving here is much different than visiting. By
international agreement, in most cases, if you are visiting, you can use
your foreign license for 1 year. For people actually "living" here,
state laws vary. I think one even lets you use your foreign license for
that year even if you move here.

For R.I., it seems you need a RI license within 30 days of residing there.

Old Jan 19th 2004, 3:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dmv.state.ri.us/
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:26 am
Just Joined

~Kamie~ has a brilliant future~Kamie~ has a brilliant future~Kamie~ has a brilliant future~Kamie~ has a brilliant future~Kamie~ has a brilliant future~Kamie~ has a brilliant future

My Canadian husband was able to transfer without a test or exam at all ...his license (Canadian) to a WI license, right after he had his SSN.

I dont know about driving until then - my husband just didn't drive at all until he had his WI license.

Originally posted by Khadija
Hi all -

Is it helpful if your husband/wife already has a driver's license from their home country? Can one use that to drive when they arrive here? I know when I go to a foreign country to rent a car I use my WI driver's license. Is the same here true? I've heard of something called in int'l DL but don't know much else - does such a thing exist?

I was wondering if this is a way of my husband being able to drive until his EAD arrives (of course he has to get here first to apply for it!) which he'll need to get the SSN which then gets him the DL.

Wishful thinking or is this possible?

Thanks,
Patty Khadijah
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by ~Kamie~
My Canadian husband was able to transfer without a test or exam at all ...his license (Canadian) to a WI license, right after he had his SSN.
North Carolina will also do a straight swap of an unexpired Canadian license with an SSN. I suspect many states will.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 9:45 am
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrraveltay and Ray... Thank you!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 7:12 pm
Mrraveltay

CalgaryAMC wrote:

> Originally posted by ~Kamie~
    >
    >
    >>My Canadian husband was able to transfer without a test or exam at all
    >>...his license (Canadian) to a WI license, right after he had his
    >>SSN.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > North Carolina will also do a straight swap of an unexpired Canadian
    > license with an SSN.

How many Canandian licenses have an SSN? (Just kidding)

Old Jan 19th 2004, 7:27 pm
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

You should check with your insurance company - anybody can drive my car and I'm insured EXCEPT if that person lives with me - in which case that person has to be named on my insurance policy as a driver.

And, of course, the driver must be a Mass. license holder in order to be insured.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 7:28 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ~Kamie~

I dont know about driving until then - my husband just didn't drive at all until he had his WI license.
Am I reading this wrong, or does this scare the sh!t out of me?

"Husband didn't drive until he got his WI license, which he got without a test or exam." Glad I don't live in WI anymore
Old Jan 19th 2004, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we're kind of stuck on this one. 30 days with an int'l license might help a little but it's taking 90 plus for EADs so...what good is 30 days when he'll have to bus it for 60+? He might as well just start out bussing it. C'est la vie. Hopefully, with all the new experiences, the wait for the EAD will go quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions and, if anyone knows of a way for a K3'er to keep driving until his EAD is ready, let me know.

Cheers,
Patty Khadijah

Originally posted by KimJ
You should check with your insurance company - anybody can drive my car and I'm insured EXCEPT if that person lives with me - in which case that person has to be named on my insurance policy as a driver.

And, of course, the driver must be a Mass. license holder in order to be insured.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 7:46 pm
Mrraveltay

ScousePete wrote:
    > Originally posted by ~Kamie~
    >
    >
    >>My Canadian husband was able to transfer without a test or exam at all
    >>...his license (Canadian) to a WI license, right after he had his SSN.
    >
    >
    >
    >>I dont know about driving until then - my husband just didn't drive at
    >>all until he had his WI license.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Am I reading this wrong, or does this scare the sh!t out of me?
    >
    >
    >
    > "Husband didn't drive until he got his WI license, which he got without
    > a test or exam." Glad I don't live in WI anymore

Why would that scare you? If he was just a visitor, he could drive on
his "home" license for up to a year. I have driven in many countries
around the world without an additional test or exam.

Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:01 pm
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Khadija
I think we're kind of stuck on this one. 30 days with an int'l license might help a little but it's taking 90 plus for EADs so...what good is 30 days when he'll have to bus it for 60+? He might as well just start out bussing it. C'est la vie. Hopefully, with all the new experiences, the wait for the EAD will go quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions and, if anyone knows of a way for a K3'er to keep driving until his EAD is ready, let me know.

Cheers,
Patty Khadijah
Of course every state is different, but this is what I found on the Mass. registry of motor vehicles. I just started to research this subject for when my husband gets here, so my information is 'lite' at this point...

"You must have a valid Social Security number to apply for any permit, license, or ID, including a replacement or a renewal. If you do not have a valid Social Security number, you must present a written denial notice, satisfactory to the Registrar, from the Social Security Administration (with an acceptable visa code) explaining why you can't obtain a Social Security number. "

A seperate link lists K visas as an 'Acceptable Visa Class for SSN Denial Letter'. Of course, I have no idea how to get a denial letter, and how long it would take to get one...

Hopefully your state will have similar options.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:25 pm
UK & US Citizen

Why would that scare you? If he was just a visitor, he could drive on his "home" license for up to a year. I have driven in many countries around the world without an additional test or exam.
It was said quite tounge-in-cheek because they OP said that her husband "did not drive at all until he got his WI driver's license"

I see that humour is apparantly lost on you..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.