British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driver license in New York state (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driver-license-new-york-state-632273/)

danellis Sep 23rd 2009 7:47 pm

Driver license in New York state

The NYS DMV number and the county DMV office number both just go to automated messages, so I thought I'd try here.

My wife already has a car here in the US, so I'd like to be able to drive it as soon as possible. I can be an authorised driver on her insurance and drive on my UK license for 30 days from yesterday. When the 30 days are up, I think I have to stop driving until my SSN card arrives. When I get that, I can take the 5-hour prelicensing course, the written knowledge test, and a road test. However, what I don't seem to be able to find out is whether or not I need a learner's permit at some point. The web site (www.nysdmv.com) isn't very clear on this. In some places it doesn't mention it, and in others it does, but perhaps meaning only for new drivers with no existing license.

Does anyone know what the process is here in NYS?

lapin_windstar Sep 24th 2009 10:13 am

Re: Driver license in New York state

Yes, you need a learner's permit. You get it after the written test.

The order, iirc and check for yourself, is:

1) Do written knowledge test at DMV

2) As soon as you pass, get paper permit slip from DMV

3) Real "credit card" learners permit comes through mail

4) Take 5 hour class

5) Use certificate # from 5 hour class to book test online (you can't book the road test without

6) Take test. Remember that you need someone to drive you to the test (don't drive yourself) and you need to show registration/insurance for the car.

7) If you pass the test, the inspector prints out a slip that says you've passed, and from that moment on you have a full licence. I can't remember whether the credit card full licence comes through the mail or you have to go and pick it up.

I believe you could technically do the written test on Monday morning, do the five hour on Monday afternoon and do the practical test on Tuesday morning. IME the delay was between the 5-hour class and the test: there were no available road test times for weeks.

IMO the time during which you simultaneously have a NY permit and a UK licence is at best a legal gray area - try to minimise this time as much as possible.

You may also wonder what the point of giving the NYS DMV your UK licence is when it doesn't entitle you to anything...

Dan B Sep 24th 2009 3:40 pm

LicenCe
:p

Rete Sep 24th 2009 5:58 pm

There is NO NYS and COUNTY DMV. There is only a New York State DMV with many local offices.

Originally Posted by danellis (Post 7958491)
The NYS DMV number and the county DMV office number both just go to automated messages, so I thought I'd try here.

My wife already has a car here in the US, so I'd like to be able to drive it as soon as possible. I can be an authorised driver on her insurance and drive on my UK license for 30 days from yesterday. When the 30 days are up, I think I have to stop driving until my SSN card arrives. When I get that, I can take the 5-hour prelicensing course, the written knowledge test, and a road test. However, what I don't seem to be able to find out is whether or not I need a learner's permit at some point. The web site (www.nysdmv.com) isn't very clear on this. In some places it doesn't mention it, and in others it does, but perhaps meaning only for new drivers with no existing license.

Does anyone know what the process is here in NYS?

Rete Sep 24th 2009 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dan B (Post 7961588)
LicenCe
:p

Nope it is License ... you are in the US not the UK.:curse::banghead::tounge_smile:

danellis Sep 24th 2009 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7961907)
There is NO NYS and COUNTY DMV. There is only a New York State DMV with many local offices.

Read more carefully what I wrote ("county DMV office") before you start yelling. I said they were different numbers, not different DMVs.

pejpm1 Sep 24th 2009 7:35 pm

dont give them your UK license. They asked me if I already had a license from another country and I said I lost it a while ago. They didnt question it.

The whole thing is almost unbelievably easy. The written test in particular is completely trivial.

Rete Sep 24th 2009 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by danellis (Post 7962029)
Read more carefully what I wrote ("county DMV office") before you start yelling. I said they were different numbers, not different DMVs.

LOL But that is what you were saying by pointing out a NYS DMV and County DMV office. There is no such thing as a county DMV office.

I live in Westchester County. In WC we have DMV offices in White Plains and Yonkers.

BTW yelling is all caps, I was be authorative :eek:

ian-mstm Sep 24th 2009 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 7962142)
The written test in particular is completely trivial.

Except that it helps to determine whether or not you actually get a license! :)

Ian

Rete Sep 24th 2009 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 7962142)
dont give them your UK license. They asked me if I already had a license from another country and I said I lost it a while ago. They didnt question it.

The whole thing is almost unbelievably easy. The written test in particular is completely trivial.

It is only unbelieveable easy because you have held a driver's license previously. For first time driver's, read that as teenagers, it isn't as easy. The driving test itself might differ from place to place. In Westchester County, NY the test does include broken U's (K turns), left and right turns at intersections, parallel parking, etc.

Scott33 Sep 24th 2009 8:17 pm

My NY State road test was 6 (six) minutes long. I would call that frighteningly easy. My CDL was similar to what is given in the UK for a regular vehicle.

pejpm1 Sep 24th 2009 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7962261)
It is only unbelieveable easy because you have held a driver's license previously. For first time driver's, read that as teenagers, it isn't as easy. The driving test itself might differ from place to place. In Westchester County, NY the test does include broken U's (K turns), left and right turns at intersections, parallel parking, etc.

I would disagree. It's easy regardless of experience in my opinion. I have a UK license but hadnt driven a car in a few years so am not a regular driver by any means. I honestly dont understand how anyone could fail to pass that test if they've had 5-10 lessons. Yes, my test included 3 point turns and all the things you mentioned...but the whole thing lasted less than 10mins ffs!

meauxna Sep 24th 2009 8:57 pm

lol, it took me a good 5 years to figure out what DH's big *deal* was about taking his driving test here.. I finally figured out that it's like comparing a kindergarten test to a Master's dissertation.. I really had no idea the test were that much more difficult in the UK.
You'll just have to cut the Americans some slack for not understanding why you guys get all uptight about going for a DL. It's something every 16 y/o kid does here for their birthday.

lansbury Sep 24th 2009 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7962363)
lol, it took me a good 5 years to figure out what DH's big *deal* was about taking his driving test here

My wife couldn't figure out what the big deal was either and why I said she really should take professional lessons in the UK before doing her test there. She had about 10 hours of lessons and passed first time but the whole experience was so daunting she never drove again afterward.

She claimed she only needed the license in case she had to drive if I was incapacitated by some horrendous accident. :zzz:

lapin_windstar Sep 24th 2009 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Scott33 (Post 7962275)
My NY State road test was 6 (six) minutes long.

Wow. You must have really pissed someone off to get the extra going-over! ;)