Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drive to Scotland

Drive to Scotland

Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:53 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drive to Scotland

Originally Posted by Ray
Stay in Farnham... why would you want to go to that cold place where they speak no English...

Here's a thistle ..that scottish enough ..

Ye'r cruisin furra bruisin
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Get a car, shoot up the M1 to Leeds then pick up the A1 all the way up. Its a pleasant drive once you're north of Watford Gap. Bout a 10-12 hour drive to the border I'd say.
You don't have to take the A1 all the way up, we never did.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
The rest is mind numbingly boring!!
You went the wrong way then.....
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Is that driving backwards or something?
Used to take me 'n' the ex 8-9 hours driving from Cornwall to Edinburgh, well, Fife, to be exact.
Er no. That was in a 38 ton articulated lorry not a car...you do it quicker!!!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You went the wrong way then.....
No, I think I know the UK major trunkroads a little bit better than you. infact make that European trunkroads.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:13 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
I have to disagree with that. I think Edinburgh's much better as a city and for tourist attractions. I mean it has a castle and stunning views to the Pentlands and across the Forth into Fife!! What does Glasgow have to offer? Plus, it always seems to rain when I go to Glasgow .

If it was my trip, I'd take the East coast by train from London to Edinburgh. If all goes well the rail journey will be about 4 1/2 hours.

If I was driving then I'd go up the West Coast on the M6/M74. Birmingham will be a 'mare but it'll be clear after that.
Have to agree mate...although I have a slight bias.
Glasgow does nothing for me. If you're a shopper and party animal then head there. If you want to see and do a bit more then Edinburgh is the place. Also the pentland hills are beautiful and only a few miles outside the city.

When I was going for my visa I made the Edinburgh to London East Coast train trip numerous times because of *** ups. The views are amazing.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:44 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Er no. That was in a 38 ton articulated lorry not a car...you do it quicker!!!
I meant your estimate of the OP's trip! lol

Unless, that is, he'll be driving a lorry not a car...
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, I think I know the UK major trunkroads a little bit better than you. infact make that European trunkroads.
Well I never claimed to know the European roads, but I've been up the A1 a few fair times and crossing over the A66 and up to Scotland and the drive is very scenic.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I meant your estimate of the OP's trip! lol

Unless, that is, he'll be driving a lorry not a car...
I'm sorry I presumed that the OP will not be averaging 80 mph for the whole 550 to 600 miles/8 or 9 hour drive in a car that doesn't require a fuel stop or two and will piss in a temporary colostomy bag so as to not have to stop the whole trip.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Well I never claimed to know the European roads, but I've been up the A1 a few fair times and crossing over the A66 and up to Scotland and the drive is very scenic.
As I said "North Yorkshire and North of Newcastle"

and WTF has the A66 got to do with it? The OP is going from London to Edinburgh he wont touch it.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I said "North Yorkshire and North of Newcastle"

and WTF has the A66 got to do with it? The OP is going from London to Edinburgh he wont touch it.
Rushman, will you please re-read what I wrote. You described the drive as being dreary, I said you went the wrong way then, you said some comment about knowing the roads better than me And I said the way I went it was very scenic. Honestly, just read what I wrote.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Rushman, will you please re-read what I wrote. You described the drive as being dreary, I said you went the wrong way then, you said some comment about knowing the roads better than me And I said the way I went it was very scenic. Honestly, just read what I wrote.

The AA gives route as up the M6 to the M74 and it takes about 8 hours.
Once you are North of Manchester the roads are empty.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love driving from London to Scotland. Eight hour drive, just loved it!

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Dear all
We are going home to visit in May, and staying in my home town Farnham Surrey. We want to go and visit Scotland. Question is, would it be better to rent a car and drive, or get a train to Edinburgh and then rent a car, or any other ideas?
Thanks
Rob
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piccolo
The AA gives route as up the M6 to the M74 and it takes about 8 hours.
Once you are North of Manchester the roads are empty.
Shows what a load of bollocks the AA route planner is then if the OP is going from London to Edinburgh there's no reason whatsoever that he would touch the M6 or M74
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

Rushman, will you please re-read what I wrote.
No need...you mentioned the "A66" on a post regarding the journey between London and Edinburgh and accused ME of going the wrong way!!!

You described the drive as being dreary, I said you went the wrong way then,
and then proceeded to mention that on a similar journey you went on the "A66" proving that YOU went the wrong way. Furthermore, I did not say the journey was dreary, I said that SOME of it was dreary not the whole journey. i specifically mentioned North Yorks and north of Newcastle (Jedburgh or Coldstream routes) being very scenic. I'm sorry but i don't think the A1(M) through Doncaster and Pontefract are exactly eye candy. Obviously you prefer industrial and urban residential landscapes with the odd field thrown in.
Either that or you havent got a f**king clue what you're talking about but I'll be nice and believe that it's your preferences for slummy locations that prompted your response.

And I said the way I went it was very scenic. Honestly, just read what I wrote.
Not suprised you found it scenic....you were going the wrong way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.