Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drive in movies

Drive in movies

Old May 11th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Drive in movies

Ok since I was a kid (I think due to me obsession with grease and 1950s' America) I have always loved the idea of drive in movies... I just think the idea is so romantic and I really want to go to one! Does anyone know if they are still around or more a thing of the past?

Last edited by yorkieuk; May 11th 2008 at 12:53 am. Reason: typo
Old May 11th 2008, 12:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drive in movies

They are few and far between now, having been taken over by suburbs and developed. But Google can help you find a few

http://www.driveinmovie.com/IL.htm

Here is a list of the ones that are around (including those that are now dark) in Illinois
Old May 11th 2008, 12:56 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Ok since I was a kid (I think due to me obsession with grease and 1950s' America) I have always loved the idea of drive in movies... I just think the idea is so romantic and I really want to go to one! Does anyone know if they are still around or more a thing of the past?
I went to my first Drive in movie last Summer. I saw Ratatouille and Transformers. I had always wanted to go to one since I was a kid too. I plan on taking my family there later this Summer when they come to visit.

People had grills out next to their cars, kids were in their PJ's. they broadcasted the sound for the movie over a shortwave radio signal. I thought it was cool.
Old May 11th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Penguinsix, unfortunately most seem to have shut down :-( Damn corporations and multiplex cinemas!

Sime303...that sounds amazing, it's always something I have longed to do, I just love the idea of on a warm summer night pulling up in a convertible with a bottle of wine to watch a film, I guess it's appealing because its something you could never do in the UK and seems so quintessentially American!

By the way I saw both those movies last summer, I bet transformers was awesome to see at a drive in, due to being surrounded by cars etc
Old May 11th 2008, 1:08 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Penguinsix, unfortunately most seem to have shut down :-( Damn corporations and multiplex cinemas!

Sime303...that sounds amazing, it's always something I have longed to do, I just love the idea of on a warm summer night pulling up in a convertible with a bottle of wine to watch a film, I guess it's appealing because its something you could never do in the UK and seems so quintessentially American!

By the way I saw both those movies last summer, I bet transformers was awesome to see at a drive in, due to being surrounded by cars etc
Yeah it was a strange feeling but you don't want to go in a convertible lol between the mozzies and noseeums you'd get eaten alive. Plus every couple of minutes or so you would hear a car fire up, first few times I heard them I thought people were leaving then being dense I realised they were just checking and charging their batteries.

Show started about 8:30pm and as a double feature (they had 2 screens, the other was showing Harry potter and some other movie) we didn't leave until after 1am.
Old May 11th 2008, 1:20 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you in Illinois?
Old May 11th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I live about 1 mile from the SkyView Drive-in in Santa Cruz, CA - but unfortunately it closed last December - I don't know of any others in Northern California.
Old May 11th 2008, 1:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few left here in Texas, though that's a long drive from either IL or CA.

I went to see Star Wars at a drive-in the year it was released.... I preferred movie theatres TBH but think a drive-in would be more fun for teens.
Old May 11th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

My Fiance's family live mid IL, on the banks of the Mississippi - across the river from Missouri - I just found one 30 miles from his house - very excited!!!!

Now just have to convince him to drive me there...
Old May 11th 2008, 2:05 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I went to my first Drive in movie last Summer. I saw Ratatouille and Transformers. I had always wanted to go to one since I was a kid too. I plan on taking my family there later this Summer when they come to visit.

People had grills out next to their cars, kids were in their PJ's. they broadcasted the sound for the movie over a shortwave radio signal. I thought it was cool.
Something which I used to do, is during the summer months, put on an
outdoor 'hood film night(s).... I'd get a 20' screen, projector, popcorn
wagon... have a bbq beforehand, blanket & lawnchairs - stretch out and
watch a flick on the bigscreen under the stars...... just remember to turn off the sprinklers
Old May 11th 2008, 2:42 am

My Fiance's family live mid IL, on the banks of the Mississippi - across the river from Missouri - I just found one 30 miles from his house - very excited!!!!

Now just have to convince him to drive me there...
That's what I was going to recommend--looking across a border to IN, MO, IA or WI.

You should go one night. Make a picnic of it an have some food and whatnot. More modern ones have AM/FM broadcasts so you can listen with your car radio instead of having to put the speaker in your window.

I would not go in a convertible. You'll get eaten alive by mosquitos drawn by the bright light of the movie screen and the warm bodies nearby, especially in IL/MO by the river. Bug central.

Have fun.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:45 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
They are few and far between now, having been taken over by suburbs and developed. But Google can help you find a few

http://www.driveinmovie.com/IL.htm

Here is a list of the ones that are around (including those that are now dark) in Illinois
The list is out of date. There is no longer a drive-in in Durham. The big screen burnt down in 2006? and the owners didn't have the money (or insurance) to rebuild. I never went. Now, I'll have to drive further to get my drive-in movie experience.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The list is out of date. There is no longer a drive-in in Durham. The big screen burnt down in 2006? and the owners didn't have the money (or insurance) to rebuild. I never went. Now, I'll have to drive further to get my drive-in movie experience.
There's one in RI/MA - no use to you sorry. Line goes for miles in the summer
Old May 11th 2008, 2:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Still got my local drive in..... love it ..

Admission $2 ...or Thurs ..$2 for the whole carload

The local recknecks put their armchairs in the back of the pickup
and sit there for comfort ..
Old May 11th 2008, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
At least one of the Ohio drive-ins that they list as open also closed in 2006.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.