British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Drinks on Planes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drinks-planes-410591/)

Triumphrob Nov 28th 2006 5:29 pm

Drinks on Planes

I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow and I am a nervous flyer. I used to bring a small plastic bottle of Vodka on board (only time I touch the stuff) and feel no pain until landing.
Not allowed to do that now.
But, hypothetically, if I forgot I had a plastic bottle in my carry on, would it show up? Not that I'm thinking of it, oh no!
Rob

skenned7 Nov 28th 2006 5:31 pm

Re: Drinks on Planes

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow and I am a nervous flyer. I used to bring a small plastic bottle of Vodka on board (only time I touch the stuff) and feel no pain until landing.
But, hypothetically, if I forgot I had a plastic bottle in my carry on, would it show up? Not that I'm thinking of it, oh no!
Rob

What Airline are you travelling on? I always fly Ba back home and they have plently of drink?? No need to carry on!!

brindlebrundle Nov 28th 2006 5:31 pm

Rob

The stupid thing about these rules is that ANYTHING can be a weapon when placed in dangerous hands. Now sure, banning guns, knives and scissors will decrease the odds of a violent attack. But in the wrong hands, even the plastic cutlery they give with the meal can be a vicious weapon (I wouldn't like the plastic knife in my eye, put it that way). Ditto the duty free (a broken bottle makes a handy weapon), belts, and other things.

The rule is so dumb unless we all board flights naked.

Maz Nov 28th 2006 5:33 pm

Rob

Who are you flying with that they don't dish out the free booze as often as you want? :eek:

TruBrit Nov 28th 2006 5:37 pm

Rob

yep, i've flown a lot lately across the pond and the airlines are pretty hot on liquids....however if you think it would help your nerves then go for it and if they don't find it then you're good to go, worst that can happen is they will throw it away...safe trip and say a big hi to the uk from moi :p

btw there are some places to buy/drink alcohol at most airports.

penguinsix Nov 28th 2006 5:39 pm

When I used to fly LHR-Moscow most of the passengers would devour their duty free on the flight. There were many happy Russians when we landed.

I thought you could bring it in if it was in a plastic bag. You might want to check the most recent announcement at your airline's website. The rules change nearly every week.

Big D Nov 28th 2006 5:48 pm

Rob

a couple of time now friends have forgotten bottles of water and toiletries etc and they havent been picked up at security

Englishmum Nov 28th 2006 5:52 pm

If you are with any US airline you will almost certainly have to pay $5 or $6 per drink - one of the reasons why I will only fly with Continental, American Airlines etc as a last resort!

The British airlines eg. Virgin & BA still give complimentary alcoholic drinks on board in all classes eg. wine or champagne with your meal. I sat next to a Scottish couple on my BA flight back to Newark a just over a week ago and they asked the stewardess if they could have two bottles of wine each....and got them! So did I... :D (and was sneakily given an extra bottle as I was leaving the plane LOL).

You can't take alcohol with you before going through security....*but* you can buy whatever you want at the Duty Free shops to take on board with you. (Yes I know they're all crap in the US airports.....) :rolleyes: . Perhaps see if you can find some miniatures at the duty free shop?.

You can still buy Duty Free drinks & perfumes etc. when you're coming back from the UK....they're putting it in a sealed clear plastic bag when you pay for them and I think if you're flying to the US you're not supposed to open them at all until you clear US customs (although they didn't check my carry-on baggage at EWR despite having to put my suitcase through an X-Ray machine after picking it up from the carousel.

You do know that your carry on baggage will be X-Rayed just before you go to the departure gate don't you? If you take a small plastic bottle of vodka they will (or should) find it and confiscate it.... :scared: I guess you could drink it before going through security but you will need to show that you're sober enough to board the plane or you won't be going anywhere until you've sobered up! ;)

Check your airline's website for the latest regs. re; gels and liquids....you can take limited amounts on board in a clear plastic 'glad' sandwich bag.

Most airports have a bar - why not have a drink at one of them after clearing security? :beer:

BritGuyTN Nov 28th 2006 5:54 pm

Rob

Just take an extra $15 and pay for it on board

Triumphrob Nov 28th 2006 8:36 pm

What about buying duty free vodka once your past the gates. Anyone have ideas on that?
Thanks
Rob

Jerseygirl Nov 28th 2006 8:47 pm

What about buying duty free vodka once your past the gates. Anyone have ideas on that?
Thanks
Rob

You buy duty free purchases after the security checks but before the gate...at US airports you collect your duty free purchases at the gate. I was under the impression that it couldn't be consumed during the flight. Why don't you just pay for the drinks on board?

gruffbrown Nov 28th 2006 8:49 pm

Just make sure the flight crew don't notice.

http://www.zymetrical.com/images/pro...beerhelmet.jpg

anabella Nov 28th 2006 8:50 pm

Rob

You can buy it once you go past security in the shops

Rushman Nov 28th 2006 8:52 pm

I wouldn't risk smuggling a bottle on board and apparently the flight crew are supposed to take your duty free until you land....which is supposed to stop you getting shitfaced and buy their stupidly overpriced booze.
Just do what I do......loads of hard drugs just before I go through security.

TruBrit Nov 28th 2006 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was under the impression that it couldn't be consumed during the flight. Why don't you just pay for the drinks on board?

you're not supposed to however some do try it on.... you just have to catch them at it...lol