Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drinking Laws...

Drinking Laws...

Old Jan 15th 2005, 3:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drinking Laws...

" The biggest change to Britain's licensing laws in decades is coming into effect this year, with pubs and clubs allowed to open 24 hours a day...."

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...283059,00.html

With that story in mind, what do you think of 24 hour open places? and how open are your states about booze?
It's certainly very popular in maine, but heaven forbid if you actually want to drink while going out though...well at lunch at least
Old Jan 15th 2005, 3:47 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drinking Laws...

Originally Posted by Bob
" The biggest change to Britain's licensing laws in decades is coming into effect this year, with pubs and clubs allowed to open 24 hours a day...."

With that story in mind, what do you think of 24 hour open places? and how open are your states about booze?
It's certainly very popular in maine, but heaven forbid if you actually want to drink while going out though...well at lunch at least
You can drink here in NC, but there still are some counties where they are dry.
But we are in the Bible belt here.
VERY strict on where you can drink though. Drink driving is frowned upon, but tolerated it seems. Only a token effort was made to discourage you.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 3:54 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

They seem pretty good about it up in New Jersey. As long as you have your ID (they are pretty good at enforcing it in NJ), you can sit in a bar and get as pissed as you want without being frowned at. I've met a lot of friends/colleagues of my fiancee and they all seem to be pissheads like me, i.e their attitude towards drink is no different that that of a Brit in their early 20s. I've also never been frowned upon for having a beer at lunchtime in NJ.

Last edited by dbickle; Jan 15th 2005 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
You can drink here in NC, but there still are some counties where they are dry.
But we are in the Bible belt here.
VERY strict on where you can drink though. Drink driving is frowned upon, but tolerated it seems. Only a token effort was made to discourage you.
Bible belt must be interesting then....ain't quite that bad over here, but different bars, different rules, but at least most accept the EAD as ID, which means it has come in use afterall
There are strict drink drive rules over here, which is good, but I think there mostly ignored, amount of pissed drivers is still quite scary...but no other means of transport which is the main problem I think....
Old Jan 16th 2005, 3:45 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Eureka Illinois is dry .... and it was a complete culture shock for me. Wigan has more pubs than you can shake a shitty stick at, moving to a dry town was hard on the senses .... no popping for a swift gallon at the local.
There is a bar outside the city limits but the local bible bashers are trying to close that down ..... its the most popular place in town and I find it ironic that its position outside of town encourages drink driving ... Most Americans won't walk to the end of the path .. they sure as hell won't walk 3 miles to the pub..... Just for the record, I do walk there ( I crawl back) and the locals think I am a nutter for doing so.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:30 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I'm so glad I live on the north east coast, where bars and alcohol are in abundance, and most of my friends are as lush as I
Old Jan 16th 2005, 5:06 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a dry town. They recently voted to have alcohol in hotels here but there's an outcry over that and it hasn't passed yet. The oldies are saying there will be a crime wave and the whole place will crumble.

One thing I do miss is being able to smoke when I'm having a drink.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Here in Baltimore (and MD in general) we're pretty well served. The Fells Point neighbourhood has the distinction of having more bars per square mile than any other place in the US.

The bars are open 'til 2, which is pretty good, and some of them are pretty close to what you could call a pub. I have a mate who lives in New Jersey, who basically said 'It's great to actually drink in a pub' rather than go to applebees and drink some gnats piss.

The one thing that does get my goat, is that Supermarkets don't sell booze. My local safeway doesn't stock it. Yet I once went to the Safeway in Amman, Jordan, and you can buy all the booze you want. 'Go figure'
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

The law should be changed to the effect that if you can't drink 10 pints of Carlsberg Special Brew within 2 hours you should be banned from the pub due to lack of revenue potential.
In the USA make that two pitchers of Miller Light
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
Drink driving is frowned upon, but tolerated it seems. Only a token effort was made to discourage you.
My experience is to be frowned upon if you don't drink drive, seriously everyone seems to be at it, my husband took his staff out for a meal before Christmas and one guy could barely stand up, yet he got in his car and drove home. Frightens me to death. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by woodsey
My experience is to be frowned upon if you don't drink drive, seriously everyone seems to be at it, my husband took his staff out for a meal before Christmas and one guy could barely stand up, yet he got in his car and drove home. Frightens me to death. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Aye, that is scary, there's pretty stiff penalties over here in maine if you get caught, but people don't seem to care, or ignore it, because likely, they won't get caught....and you don't get the in-your face don't drink drive adverts at holiday times like you did in blighty...