Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drinking and Driving

Drinking and Driving

Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Drinking and Driving

Is it just me or does everyone here in the US drink and drive. I don't mean just one beer, 10 or so and then drive home and no one bats an eye. where did I leave the car again!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drinking and Driving

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Is it just me or does everyone here in the US drink and drive. I don't mean just one beer, 10 or so and then drive home and no one bats an eye. where did I leave the car again!

I think people are less cautious about it here than in the UK, but I don't know how it compares to France, etc. Of course, 10 beers here have the alcohol content of about 1 decent pint in England, and you probably sober up on the way home anyway, because you have to stop every mile or so to go to the "restroom."
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:27 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I've seen quite a bit of it myself! --
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does happen, Michigan has just lowered its limit which is good to see, wonder how many more will get caught ? It seems to me that the police are too willing to turn a blind eye at closing time. All this isnt helped by folks living out in the boonies and in this area absolutley no taxi service available.

Jan
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Yes it does happen, Michigan has just lowered its limit which is good to see, wonder how many more will get caught ? It seems to me that the police are too willing to turn a blind eye at closing time. All this isnt helped by folks living out in the boonies and in this area absolutley no taxi service available.

Jan
Ohio, has just lowered their too but it aint stoppin anyone as far as I can see.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

poroxod is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anybody tell, how many beers should you drink and it won't come to detactable limit in blood?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by poroxod
Can anybody tell, how many beers should you drink and it won't come to detactable limit in blood?
Well when they lowered the limit here in Ohio from 0.1 to 0.08 there was a piece in the paper saying that a 175 lb man could drink 6 beers on an empty stomach and pass.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

poroxod is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks !
Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by poroxod
It depends on the indvidual. i.e. your height, weight and gender. Just like in the UK.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NC Penguin
It depends on the indvidual. i.e. your height, weight and gender. Just like in the UK.
I found it quite amusing in the California Driver booklet that if you drive a business vehicle your limit is 0.04% but if its a personal vehicle your limit is 0.08%

Different drinking habits out here from what I've seen so far also. No "liquid lunches" like I used to enjoy in the UK - certainly used to make the afternoon go quicker.