Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drinking Alcohol in a public place in Florida

Drinking Alcohol in a public place in Florida

Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drinking Alcohol in a public place in Florida

Originally Posted by paulward50
Yeah, Iv'e been to Gasparilla and I can just about recall I was drinking outside then. I'm going to the USA v Panama football (Soccer!) game tomorrow so I'm sure we will have a few outside.
I have been visiting Fl for over 30 years, living here for 5 years. Be very careful about drinking outside anywhere, not designated, i.e legal.

Some of my NY, retired cop friends, that now live in FL, describe the cops here, as Para Military.

Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Not sure, of your status in USA, tourist, GC, work or USC, but worth be that extra bit careful, when playing with State & local laws.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand the laws about not walking about drinking your own cans or bottles. What I don't understand is the lack of being able to enjoy a drink while dining al fresco. I don't drink myself but I know that, having lived in the UK and experienced the idea of the beer garden, DH thinks it's a pity in the summer not to be able to sit outside his favourite bar/restaurant in Cambridge, MA, with a drink.

Having said that, since the smoking inside ban DH and I have avoided drinking outside in the UK anyway. It just gets too smoky.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
...I don't drink myself but I know that, having lived in the UK and experienced the idea of the beer garden, DH thinks it's a pity in the summer not to be able to sit outside his favourite bar/restaurant in Cambridge, MA, with a drink.
I don't know what he's on, but there are hundreds of beer gardens in MA....they're everywhere....

Drinking on licensed premises is a bit different from having a drink while walking along the street though.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know what he's on, but there are hundreds of beer gardens in MA....they're everywhere....

Drinking on licensed premises is a bit different from having a drink while walking along the street though.
Here is one in Cambridge:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/charlies-beer-garden-cambridge
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

OK maybe he's never come across one. His favourite is Grendell's Den in Harvard Square. We tried to sit outside with a drink there and were told we couldn't if we had alcohol. It's good to know that in MA they do have beer gardens. Is this uncommon in most states?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Is this uncommon in most states?
I don't know, but they've been around everywhere I've been, admittedly only in New England area.

A lot of other places, it's probably not nice sitting outside though, either the bugs or the heat, so lounging indoors with the AC makes more sense than a beer garden.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know, but they've been around everywhere I've been, admittedly only in New England area.

A lot of other places, it's probably not nice sitting outside though, either the bugs or the heat, so lounging indoors with the AC makes more sense than a beer garden.
You can call me a liar as I've just remembered that Mum, DH & I sat outside a place in Orlando and I'm pretty certain they had alcoholic drinks! Probably there are different types of licences and Grenell's Den doesn't have a licence to serve booze outside.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:46 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Many, maybe most places, have exemptions that allow for sidewalk cafes and beer gardens. It's just there is a dividing line, often a physical barrier such as a fence that separates the bar/restaurant from the sidewalk/public place. The UK "pub spilling into the street" and walking down the pavement with an open drink is generally not allowed here.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Here in NYC, it's OK to have a drink on the Long Island Rail Road - they actually have small bar carts on the platforms in Penn Station so you can get a beer or a cocktail before boarding your train.

That being said they do ban alcohol on board trains on St Patricks day - the only day of the year you can't have a drink on the train!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Newton
Here in NYC, it's OK to have a drink on the Long Island Rail Road - they actually have small bar carts on the platforms in Penn Station so you can get a beer or a cocktail before boarding your train.

That being said they do ban alcohol on board trains on St Patricks day - the only day of the year you can't have a drink on the train!
But on the Subway, you can get a ticket for eating? Rarely enforced.

Frank R.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:46 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob

My sentiment exactly. Its illegal round here to carry alcohol(open container) except on Beale st...the local PD enforce it somewhat, but it is policed most effectively by the flying squad... better known as Mosquito's!! around here during the summer months if you meet one, you give him the respect he deserves ... you call him SIR!. as far as repellant is concerned they just treat that as gravy on the meat... really... stay inside as Bob says and enjoy the AC...