Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"To dream....the impossible dream..."

"To dream....the impossible dream..."

Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "To dream....the impossible dream..."

I'm a nurse .
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

DV lottery.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

B1/2 for a year, then kinda got hoofed and came back 6 odd months later on a K1...almost 2 years later, i still don't have a greencard...and that EAD was a complete waste of money, bar a couple weeks of temp work and being used as ID at a bar before I got my local license
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:03 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: "To dream....the impossible dream..."

Originally Posted by Bob
B1/2 for a year, then kinda got hoofed and came back 6 odd months later on a K1...almost 2 years later, i still don't have a greencard...and that EAD was a complete waste of money, bar a couple weeks of temp work and being used as ID at a bar before I got my local license
Thanks for all the replies....looks like consensus is transfer or marriage ( apart from the NI lottery winner - thought NI was part of the UK so therefpore couldn't get lottery, well you learn something everyday ).

Always liked the States from visits but not planning on trying to get over permanently as the wife doesn't want to live there and it's nigh impossible anyway !

We have applied to Canada as we have relatives there, but I was just curious regarding how people got in and stayed.

Cheers guys.

Paul.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:43 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was head hunted by a company in the USA. We came here straight on a green card - took 18 months to complete but the company were willing to wait plus foot the cost.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
As I have seen it's nigh impossible to get into the States unless you marry a USC or get a company transfer.....how did all the x pats on here get in and stay in ?
Met an all American axe murderer on ICQ and somehow decided it would be good to live with him in the back end of no-wheresville.
Been here 3 1/2 years now and love him and the area to bits !

oh p.s. the axe murderer thing is my mothers take on the situation
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

L1A intra-company transfer, after 14 years for the same company in the UK and Europe. GC approved Oct 2004.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:09 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I came kicking and screamin!!
ME TOO!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
Met an all American axe murderer on ICQ and somehow decided it would be good to live with him in the back end of no-wheresville.
Been here 3 1/2 years now and love him and the area to bits !

oh p.s. the axe murderer thing is my mothers take on the situation
lol
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:10 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Thanks for all the replies....looks like consensus is transfer or marriage ( apart from the NI lottery winner - thought NI was part of the UK so therefpore couldn't get lottery, well you learn something everyday ).

Always liked the States from visits but not planning on trying to get over permanently as the wife doesn't want to live there and it's nigh impossible anyway !

We have applied to Canada as we have relatives there, but I was just curious regarding how people got in and stayed.

Cheers guys.

Paul.
NI is part of the UK but for some reason we're eligible for the lottery - prob something to do with the yanks all loving their oirish ancestors. NI is processed through the DV as a seperate category to The Republic of Ireland so they don't just lump us in with the Southerners.
Tough to get a job these days that will sponsor your visa (with the exception of a transfer) but some companies still do it, especially in certain sectors.
The canada thing is a good idea. You should be able to get immigrant status in canada no bother and you can then use that to work in the US after some tweaking. I work in IT and that route is often taken by a lot of indians who can't get a Green Card in the US when their H-1's expire.

Anyway, good luck
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
NI is part of the UK but for some reason we're eligible for the lottery - prob something to do with the yanks all loving their oirish ancestors. NI is processed through the DV as a seperate category to The Republic of Ireland so they don't just lump us in with the Southerners.
Tough to get a job these days that will sponsor your visa (with the exception of a transfer) but some companies still do it, especially in certain sectors.
The canada thing is a good idea. You should be able to get immigrant status in canada no bother and you can then use that to work in the US after some tweaking. I work in IT and that route is often taken by a lot of indians who can't get a Green Card in the US when their H-1's expire.

Anyway, good luck
Become a nurse. GCs for the nurse, spouse and kids after the usual USCIS hoops.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Anyway, good luck
Well to be honest, if I got into Canada ( unlikely with the new delays though ) I wouldn't bother going that route to the US of A. I would be happy with Canada as my relatives are there and I love the place.

Paul