Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

MrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to all
Default Re: Dreading my first Paddys Day

Originally Posted by Tbag View Post
That is so true and actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine!
I still try not to give a really vague, here we go again look, when someone tells me how there family is British Irish etc..... and when you ask where from?
It's usually a story of how they traced back the family tree to Uk descent.
I suppose I should be pleased at there wanting to be little bit Euro, but it get's so old after years and years of it
It took me a while to stop asking whereabouts in Scotland every time I met someone with an American accent to claimed to be Scottish. It's just weird that people claim nationality from another country because they think their great grandfather came from Glasgow or something. There are almost as many immigrants in the UK if you go back far enough but noone really gives a damn.

And if you want to see the trashy side of St Paddy's day there can be no better place than the South Boston parade. Four hours of non-stop culturally perverted Irish nationalism. I can take the hijacking of the Scottish pipes, but when they're playing Scotland the Brave, wearing green plastic kiss me quickhats on St. Patrick's, in Boston USA, I have to wonder if these people really have a clue about anything.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

MrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
I like St. Patty's, the "Irish" dancers have great legs!* Although, what's up with their hair?

*The ones that are of age of course!
Please god make it stop. I'm pretty sure Patty has never been the diminutive form of Patrick, unless the Patrick in question just had gender reassignment. I think it's acceptable to call it St Patrick's/Pat's/Paddy's day, but not Patty's. There seems to be some debate as to where old Pat was born, but I think we can all agree he was indeed male.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrScotland View Post
Please god make it stop. I'm pretty sure Patty has never been the diminutive form of Patrick, unless the Patrick in question just had gender reassignment. I think it's acceptable to call it St Patrick's/Pat's/Paddy's day, but not Patty's. There seems to be some debate as to where old Pat was born, but I think we can all agree he was indeed male.

Sorry, I was under the impression "Paddy" was derogatory. Form now on I'll say St. Patrick, less chance for confusion/offense.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrScotland View Post
... I have to wonder if these people really have a clue about anything.
probably not...but it's an excuse to get pissed up
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
probably not...but it's an excuse to get pissed up
Well if they really were Irish (or Scottish) they would know damn well that we don't need no excuses to get pissed up.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I am so glad I am not alone in this! To be honest, I hated it in England when pubs would have St Patrick's day parties. They didn't have a St George's Day party so why Paddy's?? I've nothing against the Irish celebrating it, that's fine but I don't see why people think I should???

Over here... oh my! My daughter, who's English & feeling more American all the time, has to go through it all in school but I'm not going to make her join in with wearing green. Why should she? I just don't get it. Sure, if they celebrated the equivalent for other nations I might but for one that we have no connection?

I've never been to a St Patrick's Day party but we've been invited to one next week by a neighbor. We're fairly new to this area, living in a small town & are very aware that if we do not go, it'll look like a snub. ARGH!! I don't wanna eat off paper shamrock plates, drink green beer, where a leprachaun hat & have everyone there ask me what Ireland is like.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:55 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan View Post
Oh I am so glad I am not alone in this! To be honest, I hated it in England when pubs would have St Patrick's day parties. They didn't have a St George's Day party so why Paddy's?? I've nothing against the Irish celebrating it, that's fine but I don't see why people think I should???

Over here... oh my! My daughter, who's English & feeling more American all the time, has to go through it all in school but I'm not going to make her join in with wearing green. Why should she? I just don't get it. Sure, if they celebrated the equivalent for other nations I might but for one that we have no connection?

I've never been to a St Patrick's Day party but we've been invited to one next week by a neighbor. We're fairly new to this area, living in a small town & are very aware that if we do not go, it'll look like a snub. ARGH!! I don't wanna eat off paper shamrock plates, drink green beer, where a leprachaun hat & have everyone there ask me what Ireland is like.
My daughter hated working on the tills St Patrick's Day ...people were always asking her where abouts in Ireland she came from....a down side to living so near to Boston...she's taken to wearing a Union Jack to work...