Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:56 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreading my first Paddys Day

I will do as I did in the UK ....dig out the old umbrella and orange sash.....

never really could abide people who celebrated another countries patron saint as if it were their own ....

So for me ..you can shove the shamrock as far as it will go ..roll on April 23rd

Last edited by Circus-of-Power; Feb 25th 2007 at 4:59 am.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of

Well I'm a Mancunian and PROUD OF IT!!! Well except that I was born in North Wales and my dad's Welsh....Shit that makes me a Wancunian....DOH!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:04 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

OK It's started. My son is bringing home papers about the bloody little leprechaun, shamrocks and all that - arghhh... We still have another week to go! Maybe they should be worrying more about the State testing starting in just over a weeks time!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmumsie
OK It's started. My son is bringing home papers about the bloody little leprechaun, shamrocks and all that - arghhh... We still have another week to go! Maybe they should be worrying more about the State testing starting in just over a weeks time!
Dont forget all in green when going to school
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
Dont forget all in green when going to school
what if the parents couldn't afford to dress their kids in green, they'll really feel left out
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
what if the parents couldn't afford to dress their kids in green, they'll really feel left out
Silly as f**k I know, but best to have some thing green on or the kid's will pinch you other wise, and with my little man that could well end up in a scrap
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Then there normal
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Silly as f**k I know, but best to have some thing green on or the kid's will pinch you other wise, and with my little man that could well end up in a scrap
i know but it's all added expense for the parents, what if you have 3 kids, one isn't so bad to buy for? i think of that on the fancy prom do's over here....not everyone can afford it surely
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Then there normal

no, they get laughed at and the micky taken, poor kiddies.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i know but it's all added expense for the parents, what if you have 3 kids, one isn't so bad to buy for? i think of that on the fancy prom do's over here....not everyone can afford it surely
With them Prom do's they dont have to go, my OH didn't, well them days you would not of got him in a bib & tucker for all the tea in china
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

With them Prom do's they dont have to go, my OH didn't, well them days you would not of got him in a bib & tucker for all the tea in china
What? All of 2 years ago?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a load of money making bullcrap !..... I have Irish relatives and spent almost every childhood holiday in Dublin, I have never seen anything like the things that go on here. .............. Wher the F**k did they get the idea that Irish eat Corned beef and cabbage ?

St Patricks day happens to be my birthday and all my life I have got 'Happy St Patricks day' cards from relatives, I couldn't give a shit about some 'WELSH' geyzer who moved to Ireland.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
It's just a load of money making bullcrap !..... I have Irish relatives and spent almost every childhood holiday in Dublin, I have never seen anything like the things that go on here. .............. Wher the F**k did they get the idea that Irish eat Corned beef and cabbage ?
discussed that early....it's more an immigrant thing, in that corned beef and cabbage was cheap back in the day and all many immigrants could afford to eat, so it kind of got associated with the Irish and stuck.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
I'll drink to that
I also refuse, abso-bloody-lutely refuse, to wear green on St. Paddy's day! I wear RED and when asked why I'm not wearing green I tell them. I don't know about where everyone else lives, but here if you don't wear green you get pinched on the arm

The Irish musicians who were in town for a music festie (SXSW) last year absolutely REFUSED to wear green on St Patricks. They didn't want to be stereotyped! On the other hand they didn't refuse to everyone under the table.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I know if some country had a day of celebration where "everyone was an American" (I know, hell would freeze ) I would take it as a bit of a compliment. And as for people claiming various ancestries, that is a part of culture that I'm not sure I can explain without a little more time to think about it. It is sad that some get offended though.
One group of RAF airmen celebrated the Fourth of July -- on the Falkland Islands. Where it happens to be a very brutal winter on that day. They had a picnic, all at the whimsy of their commanding officer, who'd developed a fondness for the holiday whilst serving alongside the Yanks.

Think this is a joke? I know one of those airmen and he was very cross about being forced into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.