Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreading my first Paddys Day

Originally Posted by TruBrit
but peeps do that here all the time so i've noticed...i've never met anyone who's said they are american without adding that they are 1/4 english 1/4 irish etc etc

You have to meet me then
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:19 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

For gods sake, some of you need to remove the rod from your rectum, have a green beer (although I prefer mine stout and untinted)and relax.

I know if some country had a day of celebration where "everyone was an American" (I know, hell would freeze ) I would take it as a bit of a compliment. And as for people claiming various ancestries, that is a part of culture that I'm not sure I can explain without a little more time to think about it. It is sad that some get offended though.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:28 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
. And as for people claiming various ancestries, that is a part of culture that I'm not sure I can explain without a little more time to think about it. It is sad that some get offended though.

It isn't offensive, it is just, well a bit odd to say the least. It is one thing to mention heritage but claiming a nationality is another thing. My hertiage goes back to Norway and Scotland but I am not Norwegian or Scottish. Are you telling me if you visited or lived in africa, russia, ireland, france, or whatever and someone told you they were american it wouldn't come across as strange?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:57 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuggy
It isn't offensive, it is just, well a bit odd to say the least. It is one thing to mention heritage but claiming a nationality is another thing. My hertiage goes back to Norway and Scotland but I am not Norwegian or Scottish. Are you telling me if you visited or lived in africa, russia, ireland, france, or whatever and someone told you they were american it wouldn't come across as strange?
I would guess that most aren't trying to claim an actual nationality but as you say, a heritage. In common conversation someone might say"I'm half Italian, half Irish." Of course they are going to look confused when you ask what town in Ireland, their descendants probably came over at the time of the potato famine! What they mean is their ancestors are Italian and Irish. It's so common to be mixture of many "nationalities" here that people have just shortened it to "I'm xxx." Instead of "My ancestors emigrated from xxx." It's just kind of taken for granted that that's the case.

Everyone in the U.S. either came from somewhere else themselves or is descended from immigrants. It's what links us, we all came from somwhere else at some point. I knew this would be difficult to explain!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:01 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

I would guess that most aren't trying to claim an actual nationality but as you say, a heritage. In common conversation someone might say"I'm half Italian, half Irish."
Everyone in the U.S. either came from somewhere else themselves or is descended from immigrants. It's what links us, we all came from somwhere else at some point. I knew this would be difficult to explain!
Someone saying they have irish or part irish heritage is vastly different than claiming a nationality and you know it.

well can't stay and play, have work to do, time to quit being amused on the net, swirch off and tune out.
see ya later.

Last edited by spuggy; Feb 23rd 2007 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

[QUOTE=spuggy;4446043]Someone saying they have irish or part irish heritage is vastly different than claiming a nationality and you know it./QUOTE]

Of course! If someone is claiming to actually be Irish or anything else and not was not born in that country but perhaps has never even been there then that person has a screw loose.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:03 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
That is so true and actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine!
I still try not to give a really vague, here we go again look, when someone tells me how there family is British Irish etc..... and when you ask where from?
It's usually a story of how they traced back the family tree to Uk descent.
I suppose I should be pleased at there wanting to be little bit Euro, but it get's so old after years and years of it
Bloke came to our house a couple of years ago to give us a quote for new windows. After talking to him for about two minutes and noticing his broad NJ accent he then said to me "hey, are you English? I'm English too!" I then asked him which part of England he was from and he replied "oh, I've never been there, I'm Jersey born and raised, but one of my grandfathers was born in England". Then he gave me his business card and his name was something like "Vito Spaghettini". Well, I thought, you can't get more anglo saxon than that.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Bloke came to our house a couple of years ago to give us a quote for new windows. After talking to him for about two minutes and noticing his broad NJ accent he then said to me "hey, are you English? I'm English too!" I then asked him which part of England he was from and he replied "oh, I've never been there, I'm Jersey born and raised, but one of my grandfathers was born in England". Then he gave me his business card and his name was something like "Vito Spaghettini". Well, I thought, you can't get more anglo saxon than that.
Twat the patter these sales men come out with did you get your windows off him then ?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:46 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Twat the patter these sales men come out with did you get your windows off him then ?
er no, we went with Pella. It also didn't help that virtually the first thing he said to me was "this is a cute neighbourhood - I've lived my whole life in this area and never even heard of this place". oookaay
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
er no, we went with Pella. It also didn't help that virtually the first thing he said to me was "this is a cute neighbourhood - I've lived my whole life in this area and never even heard of this place". oookaay
Dont you just want to punch them on the nose, daft f**king Twat thats what I say
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:42 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
Posted by Silly Sod thinking I was using my account rather than Mrs SIlly Sods. This could happen a lot.
Download Firefox and log in to IE and Firefox under the two different names (one name for each browser, I mean). Then you just have to remember which browser to open, to post under which name. Simple really.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maz
Download Firefox and log in to IE and Firefox under the two different names (one name for each browser, I mean). Then you just have to remember which browser to open, to post under which name. Simple really.
Ooh, great idea! Right now we're just reminding each other to log out before we close the browser window. But it's easy to forget to!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
Ooh, great idea! Right now we're just reminding each other to log out before we close the browser window. But it's easy to forget to!
could always set it to not remember log in, that way after a few mins of not having the site open, you have to log in...
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

I would guess that most aren't trying to claim an actual nationality but as you say, a heritage. In common conversation someone might say"I'm half Italian, half Irish." Of course they are going to look confused when you ask what town in Ireland, their descendants probably came over at the time of the potato famine! What they mean is their ancestors are Italian and Irish. It's so common to be mixture of many "nationalities" here that people have just shortened it to "I'm xxx." Instead of "My ancestors emigrated from xxx." It's just kind of taken for granted that that's the case.

This is a big debate and may even be another thread in itself. I don't have a problem with americans saying - I am Irish American, or German American, or Dutch American etc. It just seems to me to be at odds with so many other aspects of 'being american'. On the one hand americans are taught to love america and that it is the greatest country in the world etc, then they spend their lives prefixing their americanism with the name of some far off nation they have never been too but have probably have dropped bombs onto (okay, perhaps harsh and uncalled for but not entirely untrue).

It seems to me that Americans can never be truly american until they drop the Irish, German, English, Scottish or whatever from before the word american. You can't be two things guys. You are either american or you are not. Nobody in the Uk says - I am scots english, I am african english, I am welsh scots and so forth (though americans living there might claim to be Irish American English ha ha). Anyway, I guess it is harmless. I just don't like Shamrock dish cloths or the sight of people wearing Guinness hoodies when they would gag at even a sip of the lovely black stuff.

Bleedin bloody bollox - I have done it again. sorry. Silly Sod. Such a silly sod!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by cpe111
Saint Patrick was Welsh anyway.

Cymru am byth
Theres an equal amount of evidence to suggest he was Welsh, Scottish and English

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.