Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Dreading my first Paddys Day

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Well I learn something new everyday, I didn't know Sod was an Irish surname. There's a thing!

- Tim
Don't go hyphenated names if their surname is Off.
- Ancient Irish Wisdom
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
That's right. I am not looking forward to it. Perhaps if I were twenty years old and single it would be more attractive, but at my age (don't ask) and happily married, it just looks like a load of old bullsheeeeeit!!!!

Suddenly all of the stores have Blackpool-esque crap on the shelves pertaining to the 'oirish': Dish towels, T-Shirts, shamrock shaped coasters, Guinness hoodies etc. The missus keeps trying to buy me bits of Irish tat because me old 'grand-da' was a mick and we have a very Irish surname. I was born in England, I tell her, my mum was born in England, my dad was born in England, all my brothers and cousins and nephews were born in bleedin England - so why would I want to walk around wearing a shamrock on my shirt?!?!??

I have nothing against the Irish of course, and I do feel a certain healthy connection to that aspect of my cultural history. Now and again I even get a bit damp eyed (while supping Jamiesons) at the lilting tones of Shane McGowan singing Dirty Old Town while falling down drunk as the rest of the band play Four Green Fields. But the idea of 'paddying it up' leaves me cringing. If I did it back home I would be called a plastic paddy by all of my mates who have the same connection the the Emerald Isle as myself. Here I would be a what? A Pleather Paddy I suppose ha ha.

I have recently been shocked by the way St Valentines day has been hi-jacked by Hallmark (kids sending cards to their grandmothers and and vice versa) so I am far from keen on Paddy's day here.

Am I just being an old miserable B'stard or has anybody else got any tales of past paddys days to share to lend weight to my feelings on this?

Tiocfaidh ar la by the way lol

(Joking Dogbyte, don't be calling interpol)
Silly Sod,...........your safe 'interpol' is fast asleep in his kennel...Commercial aspects have grown about the day over the years, which has spoilt what is national folklore to the Irish people.They are right to celebrate the day in the best way they know...I'll have another ta !
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Paddy's Day in Ireland is the traditional time to stand in the rain watching Majorettes stick-twirling away trying to smile their dazzling white smiles while their poor legs turn blue from the cold.

Actually that's if you're lucky enough to be in Dublin. Otherwise (like last year!!) you stand in a small country town and watch the local garages parade their wonderful farm machinery down the road. Yup, non-stop fun. And not a green river in sight
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

It gets right on my tits when people go all mental pretending that they are Irish on St. Paddy's day

People who are 3 generations removed Irish all of a sudden get pissed and aquire a fake Irish accent

My Grandfather was Italian, but I don't go around telling everyone Im bloody Italian, being only one-quarter !!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tbag
It gets right on my tits when people go all mental pretending that they are Irish on St. Paddy's day

People who are 3 generations removed Irish all of a sudden get pissed and aquire a fake Irish accent

My Grandfather was Italian, but I don't go around telling everyone Im bloody Italian, being only one-quarter !!
but peeps do that here all the time so i've noticed...i've never met anyone who's said they are american without adding that they are 1/4 english 1/4 irish etc etc
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
but peeps do that here all the time so i've noticed...i've never met anyone who's said they are american without adding that they are 1/4 english 1/4 irish etc etc
Yup - was talking to a fella in a bar in New York once and he said, "oh you're Irish, I'm Irish too!". In his all-American accent Got highly offended when I questioned it
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

That is so true and actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine!
I still try not to give a really vague, here we go again look, when someone tells me how there family is British Irish etc..... and when you ask where from?
It's usually a story of how they traced back the family tree to Uk descent.
I suppose I should be pleased at there wanting to be little bit Euro, but it get's so old after years and years of it
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Regarding St Pats day and being Irish, I always smile when remembering an episode of The Simpsons. Mayor Quimby says: On St Patricks day everyone is Irish........apart from the Italians and the gays!!!

Posted by Silly Sod thinking I was using my account rather than Mrs SIlly Sods. This could happen a lot.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:43 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shears
Yup - was talking to a fella in a bar in New York once and he said, "oh you're Irish, I'm Irish too!". In his all-American accent Got highly offended when I questioned it
That happened the first month I was here. At a one of those neighbourhood cocktail parties this woman asked where I was from. She says she's Italian and I ask what part of Italy. She was born in this country, raised in this country and had NEVER been to Italy. I didn't get it and she could see I was confused and got very offended and walked off.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tbag
That is so true and actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine!
I still try not to give a really vague, here we go again look, when someone tells me how there family is British Irish etc..... and when you ask where from?
It's usually a story of how they traced back the family tree to Uk descent.
I suppose I should be pleased at there wanting to be little bit Euro, but it get's so old after years and years of it

haha esp after america fought us and won and now they cling to us ..
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

haha esp after america fought us and won and now they cling to us ..

It is all very bizarre.... agree
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite weird. My parents were both Scottish, but I was born and raised in England, and if anyone asks I always say I'm English. This baffles my husband as he thinks I should say I'm Scottish
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:47 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Not Dreading YOUR first Paddys Day

Originally Posted by nethead
It is quite weird. My parents were both Scottish, but I was born and raised in England, and if anyone asks I always say I'm English. This baffles my husband as he thinks I should say I'm Scottish

And both my parents are Ukrainian, and I was born in England. So I must be a (Y)Uki Brit
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

My grandfather had UK and Argentinian citizenship, I've never been there and I don't speak the language but I still have a lot of family there. When I meet one of the "I'm Irish/Italian/etc" people that have never been to the country in question I break out "I'm Hispanic" No one ever believes me, maybe because I'm a pasty white guy with blue eyes and an English accent, and then they get all offended when I question if they really are X because their great, great, great grandfather was born in X country. I especially like the people who claim to be Irish but don't know that Ireland and Northern Ireland are different countries.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget New York City. We have as high, if not higher, population of new Irish immigrants and old, as well, of Boston, and one of the largest St. Paddy's Day parades going. For the day everyone is Irish. I'm not Irish, although people do mistake me as Irish, but do enjoy the festivities to a large extent. However, that stops when the train home is filled with puking travelers who imbided too much.

Originally Posted by Bob
you should try it boston or chicago...then you'll see pain...it was pretty bad in maine too though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.