Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Dreading my first Paddys Day

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:03 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dreading my first Paddys Day

That's right. I am not looking forward to it. Perhaps if I were twenty years old and single it would be more attractive, but at my age (don't ask) and happily married, it just looks like a load of old bullsheeeeeit!!!!

Suddenly all of the stores have Blackpool-esque crap on the shelves pertaining to the 'oirish': Dish towels, T-Shirts, shamrock shaped coasters, Guinness hoodies etc. The missus keeps trying to buy me bits of Irish tat because me old 'grand-da' was a mick and we have a very Irish surname. I was born in England, I tell her, my mum was born in England, my dad was born in England, all my brothers and cousins and nephews were born in bleedin England - so why would I want to walk around wearing a shamrock on my shirt?!?!??

I have nothing against the Irish of course, and I do feel a certain healthy connection to that aspect of my cultural history. Now and again I even get a bit damp eyed (while supping Jamiesons) at the lilting tones of Shane McGowan singing Dirty Old Town while falling down drunk as the rest of the band play Four Green Fields. But the idea of 'paddying it up' leaves me cringing. If I did it back home I would be called a plastic paddy by all of my mates who have the same connection the the Emerald Isle as myself. Here I would be a what? A Pleather Paddy I suppose ha ha.

I have recently been shocked by the way St Valentines day has been hi-jacked by Hallmark (kids sending cards to their grandmothers and and vice versa) so I am far from keen on Paddy's day here.

Am I just being an old miserable B'stard or has anybody else got any tales of past paddys days to share to lend weight to my feelings on this?

Tiocfaidh ar la by the way lol

(Joking Dogbyte, don't be calling interpol)
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:47 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreading my first Paddys Day

Try being married to a natural-born American whose grandfather happened to be born in Ireland...

The family name gets people all excited, too. Everyone assumes our daughter *is* Irish (you know how they are over here - you're not just "of Irish descent", but somehow it gets transmuted into actually *being* Irish), when she's only one-quarter Irish, and 50% pure English, a fact I like to remind my MIL of.

Come to Chicago ... they dye the Chicago River green. I kid you not.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:28 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I like St. Patty's, the "Irish" dancers have great legs!* Although, what's up with their hair?

*The ones that are of age of course!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Green beer leaves me wanting to punch somebody in the face.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:58 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dreading my first Paddys Day

Yes, I have a St Paddy's day tale. I also had an Irish grandfather (he was killed in WWI so never knew him). I don't have an Irish surname, because it was my mum's dad, but we were all raised Catholic because of his wishes. Several years ago my aunt (mum's sister) was in a nursing home. My mum was visiting, and the priest happened to come by for a visit (he is Irish). I had sent my aunt a St. Paddy's day card to cheer her up. The priest saw the card on her bedside table. He was quite a funny fellow, and was overjoyed to see this card. He couldn't believe that the only St. P's card to be found, had been sent over from America. My aunt really enjoyed all the attention from everyone, after the priest had told the whole nursing home about her St. P's card. A small thing, but it was fun for her, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Always think about that on St. P's day, as she is dead now from Parkinson's disease.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

[QUOTE=Maz;4440242]Try being married to a natural-born American whose grandfather happened to be born in Ireland...

The family name gets people all excited, too. Everyone assumes our daughter *is* Irish (you know how they are over here - you're not just "of Irish descent", but somehow it gets transmuted into actually *being* Irish), when she's only one-quarter Irish, and 50% pure English, a fact I like to remind my MIL of.

Come to Chicago ... they dye the Chicago River green. I kid you not.[/QUOTE]

Don't you just love that??

Silly Sod - welcome to America - where EVERYTHING is about $$$$$$$$
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you should try it boston or chicago...then you'll see pain...it was pretty bad in maine too though
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:58 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

Some in our family gave the rest of the family hell for admitting we had irish heritage when I was growing up LOL!

Had we known it was such a BIG deal in this country we wouldn't have gotten married on St.Paddy's day.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Green beer leaves me wanting to punch somebody in the face.
I'll drink to that
I also refuse, abso-bloody-lutely refuse, to wear green on St. Paddy's day! I wear RED and when asked why I'm not wearing green I tell them. I don't know about where everyone else lives, but here if you don't wear green you get pinched on the arm
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
That's right. I am not looking forward to it.

don't be a silly sod, just ignore it ....as with all occasions over here they are completely ott
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
.... The missus keeps trying to buy me bits of Irish tat because me old 'grand-da' was a mick and we have a very Irish surname.
Well I learn something new everyday, I didn't know Sod was an Irish surname. There's a thing!

- Tim
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Saint Patrick was Welsh anyway.

Cymru am byth
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cpe111

Cymru am byth
I'll drink to that Hic!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111

Cymru am byth
I thought he was Scottish, at least that's what I have always heard.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I thought he was Scottish, at least that's what I have always heard.
St Patricks birthplace isnt known with any certainly, but the main school of thought seems to agree that he was born in the SE area of Scotland known today as Strathclyde, a former Welsh kingdom and still speaking Celtish at the time of his abduction.

Some still believe that the St. Davids area of Pembrokeshire was his birthplace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.