Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DP World deal. What a mess by the US and for once, not by Bush

DP World deal. What a mess by the US and for once, not by Bush

Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:38 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default DP World deal. What a mess by the US and for once, not by Bush

The Dubai Ports deal saga... the US has handled this so badly. It beggars belief the way this has been blocked.

Its fine for 75% of US ports to be handled by foreign companies, but when it is an Arab owned company then, "NO we will not allow it".

Racist, xenophobic, nonspecific and against the free market.

Democrats and Republican's alike, a sorry mess.

The way that DP has handled this has been admirable and respectful, something the US admistration has appeard to be incapable of...

"It is just assuming that if a company is from the Middle East it is de facto disqualified from investing in the United States, and I think that is a terrible message to send," said Daniel Griswold, director of the Cato Institute's Centre for Trade Policy Studies.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:47 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DP World deal. What a mess by the US and for once, not by Bush

Originally Posted by Autonomy
The Dubai Ports deal saga... the US has handled this so badly. It beggars belief the way this has been blocked.

Its fine for 75% of US ports to be handled by foreign companies, but when it is an Arab owned company then, "NO we will not allow it".

The way that DP has handled this has been admirable and respectful, something the US admistration has appeard to be incapable of...

"It is just assuming that if a company is from the Middle East it is de facto disqualified from investing in the United States, and I think that is a terrible message to send," said Daniel Griswold, director of the Cato Institute's Centre for Trade Policy Studies.
True
I await the response of our Democrat friends with interest - after all this is the kind of behaviour one would normally only expect from those nasty Republicans.

I also look forward to US arms makers halting all sales of weaponry to Saudi Arabia immediately
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I thought is was more than 75% - but that's irrelevant.

Absolutely disgusting to discriminate just because it's an Arab company; perhaps the politicians need to do some more homework on the UAE, they are far better than the Saudis IMO.

They mentioned on NPR this morning that Emirates Airways/Airlines was due to order some new Boeings soon, but that order will probably now go to Airbus.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:56 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

The Dubai Ports deal saga... the US has handled this so badly.
The media here also handled this poorly - I don't think I've ever seen a news story so thoroughly misrepresented as this one: Reading the news media here you'd think that the Bush administration had personally sold control of American ports to Arabs for $6.8 billion, when that sum actually referred to the cost to takeover the whole of P&O - the value of the US ports operations has been quoted at less than 10% of that, and the time for Americans to complain about foreigners controlling these particular US ports was six years ago (during the Clinton administration), when the original P&O deal was done. You really had to dig around to find out that these ports were not being operated by US entities immediately prior to the Dubai deal.

I actually started to feel a bit sorry for Bush, because it's not like he engineered the deal, but he and his gang proceeded to handle the whole thing with their usual mix of incompetence and arrogance, and at the end of the day I'm tempted to cheer on anything that makes them look like the crooks and buffoons they are.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:57 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

They mentioned on NPR this morning that Emirates Airways/Airlines was due to order some new Boeings soon, but that order will probably now go to Airbus.
Excellent.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Yep unbelievably racist.

Doesn't matter what they were going to do, how they were going to manage the ports, how many jobs wuold be lost/created.
The two main factors were; Are these people brown, and are they muslim?
Yes to both so see ya laters only non-muslim whites please.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:07 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Yep unbelievably racist.

Doesn't matter what they were going to do, how they were going to manage the ports, how many jobs wuold be lost/created.
The two main factors were; Are these people brown, and are they muslim?
Yes to both so see ya laters only non-muslim whites please.
Not sure about that - xenophobic yes, sectarian probably, racist well maybe, but that's so far down the list that the decision had already been made long before they ever got to that criteria.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The Chinese run ports in California. Why isn't this a problem? They certainly aren't white. They certainly aren't American.

I don't think this is racially motivated so much as knee-jerk reaction against Muslim countries, period. Equally stupid, but a bit different.

However, Bush HAS caused a lot of his own comeuppance by sensitising and polarising Americans against Muslim countries. He can't do that on the one hand and then wonder why the *public* is upset about the thought of a Muslim country operating ports. If the public were not upset, the deal would have gone through.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:13 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The Chinese run ports in California. Why isn't this a problem? They certainly aren't white. They certainly aren't American.

I don't think this is racially motivated so much as knee-jerk reaction against Muslim countries, period. Equally stupid, but a bit different.

However, Bush HAS caused a lot of his own comeuppance by sensitising and polarising Americans against Muslim countries. He can't do that on the one hand and then wonder why the *public* is upset about the thought of a Muslim country operating ports. If the public were not upset, the deal would have gone through.
This has very little to do with the public, and a lot to do with the stupid f**kers who drive the media agenda in this country.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:16 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

This is essentially what the democrats have got hold of and why they're making a big deal of it. I was reading an article yesterday (can't remember where though) that said about the Republican backlash against Bush on this one because they weren't going to be "out-righted" by the Democrats. Thought that was quite funny.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
This has very little to do with the public, and a lot to do with the stupid f**kers who drive the media agenda in this country.
The day I left for Europe I had to drive to Houston. I listened to a call-in show where nearly every caller was xenophobically against the deal based on Muslim = terrorist *and* the fact that the UAE allegedly did money laundering for the 9/11 hijackers, and some of them flew to the US from the UAE.

Bush has used 9/11 as an excuse for anything he wants. Now it's turnabout.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
This is essentially what the democrats have got hold of and why they're making a big deal of it. I was reading an article yesterday (can't remember where though) that said about the Republican backlash against Bush on this one because they weren't going to be "out-righted" by the Democrats. Thought that was quite funny.
Yep, the Ds are doing it because they'll chalk up a few points for it, but only because the public thinks they're correct.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:19 pm
Thinking about it

The day I left for Europe I had to drive to Houston. I listened to a call-in show where nearly every caller was xenophobically against the deal based on Muslim = terrorist *and* the fact that the UAE allegedly did money laundering for the 9/11 hijackers, and some of them flew to the US from the UAE.

Bush has used 9/11 as an excuse for anything he wants. Now it's turnabout.
Of course there are nut-jobs out there, but...
Who do you think controls what callers get put on air ???

Its often those with the smallest minds and most extreme views who shout the loudest I'm afraid.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:21 pm