Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doula for labor &/or beyond......

Doula for labor &/or beyond......

Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doula for labor &/or beyond......

Does any of the BE posse have any experience of a doula for labor or post-partum, or any friends who have experiences that you would be prepared to share either on here or via PM?

I'm looking to hear about the good, bad and ugly.

Thanks.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doula for labor &/or beyond......

We hired one for the birth of young sir. She actually ended up missing the labor and birth because it progressed really rapidly and she didn't live that close. It was the first one she had missed and quite annoyed by it. Though she was pleasant enough I think we managed fine with what we learned in the birthing class. She helped a bit with writing a birth plan (which was thrown out the window at the time) the first breast feed and did a visit after the birth.

We interviewed a few before picking her. You get some very hippy dippy types who seem to eschew modern science and rely a bit too much on crystal woo and come across as anti-vaccine (sometimes without actually saying so, dodging the question). Many are very christian too which is off putting for those that aren't like us (lots of Mormons too).
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for replying, and for sharing! I really appreciate it.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Thank you so much for replying, and for sharing! I really appreciate it.
No problem. Just thought I should add some extra context. It was a hospital birth with a hospital based certified nurse midwife who was very nice.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Nov 11th 2013 at 9:45 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Does any of the BE posse have any experience of a doula for labor or post-partum, or any friends who have experiences that you would be prepared to share either on here or via PM?

I'm looking to hear about the good, bad and ugly.

Thanks.
I have been an L &D RN for years. I have seen and experienced just about every type of doula, the very good, the very bad, and the very ugly!

What kind of services would you require your doula to perform? The reason I ask is that you may not need a doula if you deliver in the right birthing facility. There are wonderful places to have a baby where the nurses who take care of you in labor will provide support and advocate for you. On the flip side, many of the larger hospitals tend to provide a baby production line environment. In this type of setting you may benefit from a doula who can run interference for you. Send me a PM if you need further info
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't MsEuli use one? Home birthed one at least. Might have luck finding a thread or two where she's talked about it.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs P hired one. She gave the ante natal classes, and then was present at the birth. She was nice, and Mrs P found her useful and supportive, mostly as a defence against overly intrusive medical professionals, and their desire to accelerate the process, medicate Mrs P, and declare the need for a Cesarean if Mrs P hicoughed or sneezed.

We showed up at the hospital deliberately late, to avoid being railroaded into timing for the convenience of the hospital. The doula arrived in good time, and the obstetrician arrived when the important part of the process was already over, but he made himself feel useful by sewing up a few loose ends.

Honestly I'm not sure what the doula actually did, but Mrs liked having her there ("birthing coach", is how the doula described herself).

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 12th 2013 at 1:05 am.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:49 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I had a doula for the birth of the Gorilla, who was born in Sydney. After a difficult time with my first, I wanted to have someone to a) advocate for me if I needed it and b) meant I had a second pair of eyes (in addition to Mr GG) looking after Miss Moo while I was somewhat occupied. I hired my doula after interviewing a few by phone and picking the one that I seemed best matched to. She was very reassuring and supportive of my choices in the lead-up to the birth, which meant a lot. I'd basically ended up signing a form in the birth centre at the RPA saying that I was going against medical advice by electing for a natural birth rather than the c-section they recommended. It was nice someone was in my corner. In the end, she ended up missing the birth, as she was somewhere south at a funeral and the Gorilla was quick! But she did arrive in time to hold my hand while I was welded back together (the Gorilla was enormous!), which I also appreciated. All up, it was well worth the money from an emotional perspective, if not exactly from a practical one. HTH
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
mostly as a defence against overly intrusive medical professionals, and their desire to accelerate the process, medicate Mrs P, and declare the need for a Cesarean if Mrs P hicoughed or sneezed.
Agreed, a doula is the gatekeeper, who advocates for mums wishes and prevents unnecessary or unwanted interventions. A good doula is someone who has enough education/experience that they can achieve the above, but also recognize when mum or baby is in trouble, and help facilitate a safe delivery.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Agreed, a doula is the gatekeeper, who advocates for mums wishes and prevents unnecessary or unwanted interventions. A good doula is someone who has enough education/experience that they can achieve the above, but also recognize when mum or baby is in trouble, and help facilitate a safe delivery.

These are my thoughts.

Thank you so much everyone - I really appreciate it!