British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   don't live in USA, can I get a SSN? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dont-live-usa-can-i-get-ssn-283150/)

mlf Feb 9th 2005 4:53 pm

don't live in USA, can I get a SSN?

I am a UK citizen currently residing and working in Central America. I use a US bank account but cannot get online banking because I don't have a U.S. Social Security Number. Can anyone help me with (1) whether I can obtain a US SSN in these circumstances (2) how to go about applying?

Thanks!

AdobePinon Feb 9th 2005 4:56 pm

Re: don't live in USA, can I get a SSN?

Originally Posted by mlf
I am a UK citizen currently residing and working in Central America. I use a US bank account but cannot get online banking because I don't have a U.S. Social Security Number. Can anyone help me with (1) whether I can obtain a US SSN in these circumstances (2) how to go about applying?

Thanks!

Don't think you have any chance of getting a SSN. BTW, why do you need a SSN for this? Is the bank just trying to be difficult?

fatbrit Feb 9th 2005 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by mlf

Thanks!

You won't get a SSN. You may possibly apply for an ITIN if you have an account that pays interest, though I'm not certain this would help your current problem.

The requirement for a SSN for online banking is the bank's policy or even the interpretation of it by the banker you opened the account with, not federal policy. Try changing banks next time you're here after asking them clearly what services they do and do not offer without a SSN.

There are banks that offer web access without SSNs, though this often excludes certain services, e.g. BillPay.

Rete Feb 9th 2005 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mlf

Thanks!

Just curious why a non-American who does not live or work in the US has a US bank account? Would think from your nationality that you would be eligible for off-shore banking and that would be preferrble to a US banking account. Or perhaps one from the UK. Are you laundering money by any chance?

CaliforniaBride Feb 9th 2005 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Just curious why a non-American who does not live or work in the US has a US bank account? Would think from your nationality that you would be eligible for off-shore banking and that would be preferrble to a US banking account. Or perhaps one from the UK. Are you laundering money by any chance?

Eh? He says:

I am a UK citizen currently residing and working in Central America.

ladyofthelake Feb 9th 2005 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Eh? He says:

I am a UK citizen currently residing and working in Central America.

Central America consists of places like Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama etc doesn't it?

CaliforniaBride Feb 9th 2005 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Central America consists of places like Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama etc doesn't it?

OOps! Geography brain fart there. US would be North America. And Rete did say US.

AdobePinon Feb 9th 2005 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
... brain fart ...

No, you didn't just say that, did you? ;)

CaliforniaBride Feb 9th 2005 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
No, you didn't just say that, did you? ;)

Oops! I think that was my second one. :D

Pulaski Feb 10th 2005 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Rete

Anyone with dodgy money is hardly likely to send it to a bank in the US to launder it, now are they? :rolleyes: Money-launderers in the US only use US banks because getting paper money out of the US before banking it is more risky than (trying to) launder it in the US - in fact there are signnificant US cusotms resources devoted to trying to identify, and stop, physical currency being shipped out of the US.

sibsie Feb 10th 2005 2:43 am

Before I got my SSN my bank let me pick a PIN number instead. Ask yours if they'll do the same.

Rete Feb 10th 2005 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Anyone with dodgy money is hardly likely to send it to a bank in the US to launder it, now are they? :rolleyes: Money-launderers in the US only use US banks because getting paper money out of the US before banking it is more risky than (trying to) launder it in the US - in fact there are signnificant US cusotms resources devoted to trying to identify, and stop, physical currency being shipped out of the US.

Was just being a smart arse. ;-)

Pulaski Feb 10th 2005 2:56 am

Originally Posted by sibsie
Before I got my SSN my bank let me pick a PIN number instead. Ask yours if they'll do the same.

Note a hope, post 9/11. Most banks will either (i) turn down flat all applications from non-resident aliens, or (ii) require a TIN before even considering opening an account for a NRA.

The days when anyone with with dollars to deposit was welcome with no, or few, questions asked is long gone.

sibsie Feb 10th 2005 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Note a hope, post 9/11. Most banks will either (i) turn down flat all applications from non-resident aliens, or (ii) require a TIN before even considering opening an account for a NRA.

The days when anyone with with dollars to deposit was welcome with no, or few, questions asked is long gone.

I opened mine before I came on my K1 last year. I was subject to witholding tax on any interest earned but that was about it.

What do all the foreigners with holiday homes do?

Pulaski Feb 10th 2005 3:17 am

Originally Posted by sibsie
I opened mine before I came on my K1 last year. I was subject to witholding tax on any interest earned but that was about it.

What do all the foreigners with holiday homes do?

Well for starters, assuming that they are staying more than 90 days at a time, they'll have a US visa in their passport, which means that they have already been "approved" by Uncle Sam. .... And, like I said above, they'll probably have a TIN.