Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Donating Unwanted Items To Charity

Donating Unwanted Items To Charity

Old Dec 15th 2002, 1:40 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Donating Unwanted Items To Charity

Hello Forum.
We are in the UK and will be returning to the U.S by the end of January.
We are shipping most of our possessions, but want to get rid of some items of furniture.

Does anyone know of a charity who will take donations of furniture ?
And who will pick up the items ? (Neither of us drive)
Any expats reading this - How did you dispose of your unwanted items ?

We will try to see as much as we can, and items not sold we want to give to a good cause.
Are there any companies/websites I can contact ?

Thanks.
Gram.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Britboynyc is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as i know there are many non-profit organisations that will pick up furniture, here in New York City there is the Salvation Army and the Housing works thrift shop. You will also get a reciept for your tax deduction as anything you donate you can claim on your tax return. The Salvation Army anywhere in the U.S do regular scheduald pick-ups.
I hope that this is helpfull in any way.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We have donated to Salvation Army before. Call them and schedule a pick up.

As the end of tax year is coming up you might want to donate the bulk of the items so you can take a deduction off this year's tax.
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 7:16 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.
Apologies for my late follow-up.

I'm sorry I should have made clearer - I have these possesions that I want to dispose of over here in the UK.
I am searching for a English charity organisation that will take furniture and was hoping someone could name a few.

By the way though -
Any UK based viewers - if you want furniture, tv, hifi systems at a VERY cheap price drop me a line !
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Britboynyc is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try selling on Ebay and also the Salvation Army, Oxfam and Dr. Barnados may accept such donations.
Old Dec 25th 2002, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Donating Unwanted Items To Charity

HAve you tried a Yard Sale???