Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dollars for wedding presents!

Dollars for wedding presents!

Old Apr 27th 2013, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dollars for wedding presents!

Originally Posted by Speedwell
That's why I told them to tell the bride's mother and maid of honor to get the word out that they can use money rather than gifts. That is tactful; they can say, "You know, since you asked what they'd like, I can tell you what would do them the most good...".
Agree ...... manners dictate you don't put info about a registry/gifts etc in the invitation, but guests will ask mum, dad, bridesmaids, what is being done with regards gifts, and that's when they say "well they will be moving to the US immediately after the wedding, so actually cash gifts would be the most suitable"
Old Apr 28th 2013, 1:39 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When my daughter got married US stores would not accept a UK credit card for online purchases. 2 people had their cards stopped by the UK CC company as they thought they were being fraudulently used.
Yeah you would have to check it out. My parents in law gave us Bed Bath & Beyond vouchers for Christmas so they must work
Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Yeah you would have to check it out. My parents in law gave us Bed Bath & Beyond vouchers for Christmas so they must work
If the store ships to the UK, they must accept UK credit cards. The bank that issues the cards might feel a bit funny about it, though.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just have a Money Dance?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, we got married shortly before our move over here. We didn't put anything in the invite as we felt that was bad manners but we asked both sets of parents to spread the word that cash/gift vouchers would be most suitable given our situation. Just about everyone did this apart from those who wanted to give us special gifts which are in storage at my Mums house - these are timeless pieces. We were happy to get gift cards since we used these to buy our new luggage etc, I also ended up actually selling some unused ones to my Mum. I wouldn't specify currency, no doubt since you are moving anyway you will have to do some kind of money transfer.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Cash is king! gift cards require you to shop at their store.

American wedding gifts have always been money as the primary gift. And I seem to notice that UK follows the US culture like a lapdog these days.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We were living in Germany, but got married in the UK, we knew we were going to be stationed elsewhere pretty soon after the Wedding (possibly the USA) and had pretty much all the dishes/glasses etc that we needed. This was 26 years ago (next month) and we didn't feel we were being disrespectful to let guests know that we would appreciate monetary gifts as opposed to anything else.

The only people that got upset by our request, were the US side of the family, they didn't come to the Wedding and didn't even send a card, but that's a different story!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

dickiederson will become famous soon enoughdickiederson will become famous soon enough

Thank you people, some good points for things to watch out for and interesting to see how etiquette has changed over the past two hundred years or so!

These days, I'd suggest it's quite bad manners to criticise and belittle another's wedding plans and pick at the grammar of a person asking a simple, friendly question. Maybe I'm more European than I realise (or realiZe...whichever will provoke the least abuse here), maybe I just don't have enough free time on my hands to take offence at the choices other people make in life and feel obliged to voice my outrage.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:12 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickiederson
Thank you people, some good points for things to watch out for and interesting to see how etiquette has changed over the past two hundred years or so!

These days, I'd suggest it's quite bad manners to criticise and belittle another's wedding plans and pick at the grammar of a person asking a simple, friendly question. Maybe I'm more European than I realise (or realiZe...whichever will provoke the least abuse here), maybe I just don't have enough free time on my hands to take offence at the choices other people make in life and feel obliged to voice my outrage.
Thank you for expressing your concerns.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
American wedding gifts have always been money as the primary gift..
No it hasn't. It's only the last 20 or 30 years that people have primarily given cash.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
Cash is king! gift cards require you to shop at their store.

American wedding gifts have always been money as the primary gift. And I seem to notice that UK follows the US culture like a lapdog these days.
Really? When did that happen and I didn't notice?