Reload this Page >

Dogs and heat and things

Dogs and heat and things

Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dog travels

Originally posted by dunroving
Sorry, I tried to reply yesterday and got kicked off after typing 5 minutes (I'm v. slow).

Suzy had no probs with being in an aeroplane hold for 10 hrs (twice - to Scotland in 2000, to NC in 2001), even though she is a bad traveller (she drools all over my truck, for example). British Airways are the best!!

Some people sedate their dogs, but I found Suzy was fine without - besides, I've heard that sedated digs sometimes lose bladder and bowel control.

Also, don't be put off by my earlier reply - you'll find somewhere for your dog to walk/swim, it will just take a bit of research/asking around local dog groups. I have places in Greenville I can take her, there's just not the wide open spaces and widespread acceptance we had in Scotland. Suzy is a very well-behaved dog, and I find that makes a huge difference to people's response to her.

Thank you for the advice!

When you say British Airways are the best, does this mean you have tried different airlines and had problems?

I was hoping Virgin Atlantic might take dogs, but as yet this is not the case ..... I have enough air miles with VA for a free flight and so would only have had to pay for Rosie! I just don't like the idea of my flying with VA and Rosie flying with BA!!!

Also wondering what time of year you travelled and whether there was ever a problem with heat after landing? I have heard of some animals being left for long periods of time on the tarmac in scorching weather and suffering heat stroke because of this!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to say about sedating animals for flights - when we brought our cat from Australia to Boston 3 years ago, we were told by the Australian authorities that it was a very bad idea to sedate animals as it interferes with their ability to cope physically with the flight, and all the deaths they had seen after flights were among animals who had been sedated.

You can take cats and small dogs in the cabin with you on some US airlines (inside the US, not on international flights) as long as they are in the right sort of carrier, though I think a cocker spaniel would probably be too big.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by chch
I just wanted to say about sedating animals for flights - when we brought our cat from Australia to Boston 3 years ago, we were told by the Australian authorities that it was a very bad idea to sedate animals as it interferes with their ability to cope physically with the flight, and all the deaths they had seen after flights were among animals who had been sedated.

You can take cats and small dogs in the cabin with you on some US airlines (inside the US, not on international flights) as long as they are in the right sort of carrier, though I think a cocker spaniel would probably be too big.
Yes, Rosie is too big .... I have the choice of a very long flight or a six day cruise to NY with the QE2. I am opting for the flight as I think 14 hours in a crate will be less stress than 6 days in a kennel!

As for sedating animals, I had heard that this was not recommended and I won't be giving any medication to Rosie. With some breeds, I think this can even affect their ability to breathe properly!!