Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dogs and heat and things

Dogs and heat and things

Old Jun 26th 2003, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dogs and heat and things

Hi all

After a harrowing night I thought I'd post to warn folks who have bought their dogs or are bringing them to the USA from UK or wherever (cooler climes)
As you all probably know by now my lil Jack Russell followed me out to the US in October last year, winter came and went with no real problems, he got cold paws but always came back inside and snuggled up and got warm again

Yesterday was the hottest day here so far 95F he and my husbands dog were inside most of the day where it was cool, however everyone arrived home from work and the dogs were let out for a few (call of nature and all that).
At approx 9pm (temp still in the 70's) Charlie had a convulsion bought on by heatstoke, we were lucky we managed to cool him down with wet towels and get him breathing again.
So i guess what I'm trying to say is if you have recently or even not too recently bought your dog to the US be aware of heatstroke.
The symptoms preceding a convulsion are :
heavy panting
being aggitated
staring into space
failure to recognise your voice or touch
if they convulse ... lay on their side, try and cool down as much as possible ( we used soaking wet towels) and check to make sure they havent swallowed their tongue (careful of your fingers with this)
Hope you dont need this info, and if you do I hope it helps

Jan
Old Jun 26th 2003, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

catswhiskers is an unknown quantity at this point

But surely your dog is used to temperatures in the 70s and even in 80s during the summer in the UK? You just have to make sure they have plenty of cool water to drink and shade to lay in if outside.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 1:14 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs and heat and things

Maybe because NC has been hot for a couple of months now but these warnings about cats and dogs are on the Radio and TV almost daily here!
Old Jun 26th 2003, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

catswhiskers is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the same in the UK when it's hot, you know you don't leave them shut in your car even for a few minutes with no air but idiots still do.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 1:36 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by catswhiskers
It's the same in the UK when it's hot, you know you don't leave them shut in your car even for a few minutes with no air but idiots still do.
I love america and I love americans but you do have to wonder sometimes how they pulled themselves to the top of the world food chain with so many dumb people in the country.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

but then ....... I've never experienced 95 degrees with 70% humidity in UK before .... and neither has Charlie.

Jan
Old Jun 26th 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about Charlie Jan - hope he's recovered now.
I worry when I read of people bringing their dogs out with them out here to Florida. Adults and children have enough trouble acclimatising here and dogs have higher body temperatures than people. My advice is always don't do it- I'm sure there are some who've had no problems but in general dogs have a hard time with the heat here. Our two dogs were Floridian born and one (american Eskimo) suffered dreadfully every Summer, which she spent in the cupboard on tiled floor panting most of the time. We used to wet her coat in cool water all the time and keep plenty of ice in her bowl and only take her out for a walk late at night when it was slightly cooler. The other one (cross between a lab and beagle) loves the sun- mad dog- she stretches out on a sun lounger and bakes herself, but we still take her out late at night only and keep plenty of ice in her bowl. The humidity gets to her occaisonally in midsummer but apart from that she's great. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd brought our dogs out from UK though- golden retrievers, who never tolerated the British summer too well- we'd have killed them in this heat and humidity. Florida is sub tropical folks- while people are moaning in Uk about the heatwave and 26 degrees C, its 36 here and humidity like you've never felt before.... please think very carefully before you bring your pets.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 10:14 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Patrick
I love america and I love americans <snip>
It gives me kick just to hear you say that, Patrick As for dumb people, you'll find them no matter where...
Old Jun 27th 2003, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

This is a big worry for me as I have a jack russell & the last few days have been 95+ in VA, with humidity above 75% too.

Seems that my fiancée's havanese pooch has managed to cope with the heat, despute recovering from major surgery. He had to have both knees rebuilt, cartlidge, tendons & the bones reset.

Laddie is 13 in september, wondering will he cope with the heat next summer.

Hope Charlie is better now Jan.

BTW Ever noticed how dog's in general, but Jack Russells in particular let u think u r the owner...but in reality they seem to own u ?
Old Jun 27th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, two days later and Charlie seems to be fine, the temp has dropped to the 70's again so normality has resumed (as normal as life ever is with a Jack Russell) no signs of him being any different than before, big sigh of relief !

And yes doctor scrumpy they do have this uncanny way of letting you think your the owner and I have his permission to say so !!

Hope your fiancee's wee dog is getting better and also that your JR enjoys his summer

Jan
Old Jun 28th 2003, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Jan,

Bam Bam seems to be making a fast recovery, too fast at times...but then again sine when could anyone tell a male anything medical ? lol
Old Jun 28th 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

I will be taking my 10 y/o Cocker Spaniel, Rosie, to Perris in California.

She loves swimming, so I figured the heat problem would not be so bad because once she gets near water you have trouble getting her back out. However, in searching the internet all I seem to come across is references to dogs not being allowed off leash in the US .... and not being allowed on beaches either!!

Lake Perris is only 10 minutes from where I will be living and I have just found that she will not be allowed anywhere near the lake ..... and also is not allowed off leash ..... which makes me wonder why you have to pay $1.00 to take your dog there in the first place!!

Does the US have a general 'anti' stance when it comes to dogs? If I can't find somewhere for her to swim she will end up a virtual prisoner at home, as I think the climate in Perris is too hot for best part of the year!!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
Does the US have a general 'anti' stance when it comes to dogs? If I can't find somewhere for her to swim she will end up a virtual prisoner at home, as I think the climate in Perris is too hot for best part of the year!!
- It's funny, I thiink that dog-lovers in the UK have nothing on dog-lovers in the US (i.e., they can really spoil them rotten here), but in general it's not as socially acceptable here to take your dog in public places. I've been planning to go on the Appalachian Trail with my dog (who I got in Tenessee, took to Scotland, and then brought back to North Carolina) and I've been amazed during my Web ramblings at how many anti-dog regulations there are in public places.

It seems to me that when there's a potential problem here, they go overboard in legislating the wrong thing. I can't even take my dog (on a leash, mind you) to the local recreational park because they're not allowed (BIG sign at the entrance). When I asked why, I was told "because people let their dogs go to the toilet" - so have a rule that says you have to pick up after your dog!

Most of the public hiking areas (State parks, etc.) in Eastern North Carolijna don't allow dogs.

Oh, for the days when my (very well-behaved) dog ran rings around me (literally) on the Scottish hills....
Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dunroving
- It's funny, I thiink that dog-lovers in the UK have nothing on dog-lovers in the US (i.e., they can really spoil them rotten here), but in general it's not as socially acceptable here to take your dog in public places. I've been planning to go on the Appalachian Trail with my dog (who I got in Tenessee, took to Scotland, and then brought back to North Carolina) and I've been amazed during my Web ramblings at how many anti-dog regulations there are in public places.
It seems to me that when there's a potential problem here, they go overboard in legislating the wrong thing. I can't even take my dog (on a leash, mind you) to the local recreational park because they're not allowed (BIG sign at the entrance). When I asked why, I was told "because people let their dogs go to the toilet" - so have a rule that says you have to pick up after your dog!
Most of the public hiking areas (State parks, etc.) in Eastern North Carolijna don't allow dogs.
Oh, for the days when my (very well-behaved) dog ran rings around me (literally) on the Scottish hills....
From what you say, I guess I am going to have a major problem when it comes to exercising Rosie in the US!!

Sadly, as each year passes it seems that the UK has also become more anti towards dogs in public places. However, for every park or beach they are banned from, there is another where they are allowed! I live in an area where there are plenty of walks and places to swim and, of course, the climate here means you can get out every day!!

Just one question! How did you bring your dog back to the US from Scotland? Was it a long flight and did she/he suffer any ill effects?
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog travels

Sorry, I tried to reply yesterday and got kicked off after typing 5 minutes (I'm v. slow).

Suzy had no probs with being in an aeroplane hold for 10 hrs (twice - to Scotland in 2000, to NC in 2001), even though she is a bad traveller (she drools all over my truck, for example). British Airways are the best!!

Some people sedate their dogs, but I found Suzy was fine without - besides, I've heard that sedated digs sometimes lose bladder and bowel control.

Also, don't be put off by my earlier reply - you'll find somewhere for your dog to walk/swim, it will just take a bit of research/asking around local dog groups. I have places in Greenville I can take her, there's just not the wide open spaces and widespread acceptance we had in Scotland. Suzy is a very well-behaved dog, and I find that makes a huge difference to people's response to her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.