British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dogs In Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dogs-florida-163938/)

SteveDonovan Jul 5th 2003 4:37 pm

Dogs In Florida

Are there many Dog Parks in Florida that allow you to exercise your dog? Its just that we intend to rent initially and the yard size may not be to the ideal exercise requirements of our dogs. Appreciate others experiences of dog ownership in Florida.

207lonsdale Jul 5th 2003 6:28 pm

Re: Dogs In Florida

Originally posted by SteveDonovan
Are there many Dog Parks in Florida that allow you to exercise your dog? Its just that we intend to rent initially and the yard size may not be to the ideal exercise requirements of our dogs. Appreciate others experiences of dog ownership in Florida.
Hi Steve

I will be moving to Perris in California with my dog and have only recently discovered just how *anti* the US seems to be when it comes to dogs!

I have found that many parks have restrictions, such as your dog not being allowed off leash (the leash being a maximum of 6ft in length is also another common regulation). For instance Lake Perris will allow your dog to enter for a $1.00 fee, but they are not allowed in or near the lake itself and are not allowed off leash!! I also read that LA has 70 miles of coastline and that out of that there is only one small area where dogs are allowed!

You might be able to find parks and beaches that are dog friendly close to where you will be living by searching www.dogfriendly.com

Julie.

Taffyles Jul 5th 2003 9:32 pm

It depends where you go, but in Sarasota/Venice they have two paw parks- just for dogs. There are rules and regs of course- no aggressive dogs allowed in, but they provide doggie bags (for poop), watering holes, old tennis balls to throw and frisbies (well chewed :) ), a seperate section for small dogs, a time out pen for dogs who get over excited, picnic tables, and even fake lamposts for the male of the species LOL. They are really good but there are problems now and again- dogs will be dogs- and some owners have been known to get into a scrap too :rolleyes: It can get quite social if you go regularly- and people hold doggie birthday parties up there lol- only in America. Seriously they are great though- everybody loves China our dog up there, she loves to play rabbit and get all the other dogs to chase her- course she can run forever so they all get great exercise.

Most people go after dark - its sub-tropical climate, you'd kill your dog taking them out in the sun, and even out of the sun, you have to watch the humidity -when the humidity is maxed China doesn't get to go- even though she whinges all night long.

Bear in mind if you're renting- some places don't allow pets, and of those who do, some charge extra for each pet (around $60 a month each in some places) and some put a limit- dogs up to 20lbs only...Apartments are much stricter about it than houses though.

Not many beaches allow dogs, but there are one or two. and no dogs allowed in most of the parks where there are likely to be a lot of children.

I think the US caters for dogs very well really- At the theme parks in Orlando they have dog care- you can put your dog in for the day, and many motels will allow your dog too. You do have to have more shots for your dog annually of course, by law, and they have to take heart worm tablets monthly.

Fleas are a huge problem here because of the climate. If you have carpets in the rental place- don't get scammed by monthly spraying companies- use a powder with Borax in and sweep it into the carpets- it's the only thing that works effectively.

missionuk Mar 13th 2004 7:53 pm

Steve

Have you moved yet?

I have just moved back yesterday to England (Isle of Wight) with my dog and cat and I lived in Sarasota. just 5 mins from my home was a wonderul park called Arlington Park where dogs can run freely. it is a shaded wooded area and has a pond in the middle. You can let your dog swim in Sarasota at the Bayfront Area and that is also a dog park. Venice has a beach doggy park and is only 20 mins from Sarasota.

It is difficult to find rentals that will allow dogs especially larger ones over 20 lbs. My house in Sarasota is now up for renting since I am back in England and has a huge back yard that is totally fenced if you or anyone else is interested.

Irene