Dog, School & Moving To Florida

Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

GrahamG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog, School & Moving To Florida

Can anyone please suggest a solution for the following:
  • How to bring a dog into Florida?
  • School for a 12 year old boy?

We will hopefully have sold our UK business and plan to move out to Florida, when we will buy property in the US to rent out, both holiday and residential lets.

We do not intend on applying for a green card and been told we could go for 3 months, then leave for a week, then return etc.

Any advice greatly received.

G
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:25 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog, School & Moving To Florida

You will likely be rejected at the border after staying 89 days, departing for a few, and then returning seeking another 90 days. It may work once, but many have been rejected after a hint of a pattern of trying to 'top up' on the visa waiver program.

The general rule is spend as much time out of the USA as you did in the USA. 90 days in, 90 days out.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Dumbest idea ever I'm afraid.

Why would you move to a country, with a kid, without researching the visa situation properly first? You risk getting deported and then not having access to the house with that plan.

You might get one or two visits okay, but it won't last.

Read the wiki and browse through the immigration forums to get an idea.

As for the dog, that's a topic that has come up a lot for Florida and Texas, so you can search those out too....though that really isn't your priority.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrahamG

We do not intend on applying for a green card and been told we could go for 3 months, then leave for a week, then return etc.

G
I'd be curious to know who told you that. It's a terrible idea particularly given the details you have provided so far. I would even go as far as suggesting you would get turned back on your first visit.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:26 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I'd be curious to know who told you that. It's a terrible idea particularly given the details you have provided so far. I would even go as far as suggesting you would get turned back on your first visit.
especially with a dog in tow.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:24 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Possibly the people trying to sell him some real estate. I saw several "invest in property in Florida" websites with absolutely terrible immigration advice, trying to convince people to throw money into property no American is willing to buy while basically lying about their chances of getting a visa.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone please suggest a solution for the following:
  • How to bring a dog into Florida?
  • School for a 12 year old boy?

We will hopefully have sold our UK business and plan to move out to Florida, when we will buy property in the US to rent out, both holiday and residential lets.

G
You won't get in the first time with the dog with you!!! Red rag to an immigration official.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:25 am
Just Joined

OK it may be the "dumbest idea ever", but what are the options?

The situation is this, we will be selling a business and will have spare cash as follows £1million to invest in rental property in the USA, with £1M invested in UK property. A transitional period of 12 months will be with the purchaser of the business (as they are US based), so rather than flying to and from the USA, we have been informed they would ideally like us in the USA so we can attend meetings, liaise with suppliers and to close some deals in the first instance until they are fully conversant on how the business works.

The initial "consultancy" with the buyer will tail off after 6 months, so hence moving out there with wife, child and dog...

Child would go to a private school, however looking in Florida, (Cape Coral) to be exact the private schools seem to be for children with EBD, our boy does not have EBD?

After working 19 hours per day, 7 days per week for 3 years I feel I need the sun on my back with a fishing rod in my hands for a few days a week...

There is NO way, I will invest $1M in the US economy on an "investment" visa...the hard earned money would just vanish.

But, what about the investment in the letting properties (E2 visa), would that not qualify for anything?

Originally Posted by Bob
Dumbest idea ever I'm afraid.

Why would you move to a country, with a kid, without researching the visa situation properly first? You risk getting deported and then not having access to the house with that plan.

You might get one or two visits okay, but it won't last.

Read the wiki and browse through the immigration forums to get an idea.

As for the dog, that's a topic that has come up a lot for Florida and Texas, so you can search those out too....though that really isn't your priority.

Last edited by GrahamG; Jan 16th 2012 at 6:28 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The situation is this, we will be selling a business and will have spare cash as follows £1million to invest in rental property in the USA, with £1M invested in UK property. A transitional period of 12 months will be with the purchaser of the business (as they are US based), so rather than flying to and from the USA, we have been informed they would ideally like us in the USA so we can attend meetings, liaise with suppliers and to close some deals in the first instance until they are fully conversant on how the business works.

The initial "consultancy" with the buyer will tail off after 6 months, so hence moving out there with wife, child and dog...

Child would go to a private school, however looking in Florida, (Cape Coral) to be exact the private schools seem to be for children with EBD, our boy does not have EBD?

After working 19 hours per day, 7 days per week for 3 years I feel I need the sun on my back with a fishing rod in my hands for a few days a week...

There is NO way, I will invest $1M in the US economy on an "investment" visa...the hard earned money would just vanish.

But, what about the investment in the letting properties (E2 visa), would that not qualify for anything?
I understand what you would like to do and wish you luck but the issues with the vwp can occur especially with a dog in tow. This site does not have the expertise for such a venture and you should first have a consolation with an immigration lawyer as to the best avenue to proceed before you make any plans. He may be able to suggest an alternate plan to use. A B2 visa would likely be denied due to your age so don't even think about applying for that since a denial would likely make things worse.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Michael,

I never mentioned B2 visa - I actually mentioned E2, as B2 you have to do NO business activity...and I will be engaged in several!

Another point, is OBVIOUSLY, we will not pack up, get on a plane to the USA without the correct paperwork, I was under the impression people had done this on this site, but it is apparent that people on here have done it the "the easy way" by working for someone and not taking risks themselves.

We are trying to do it the legal way.

If anyone has established themselves in the USA in a similar way to myself, let me know. Meaning creating your own business and selling it to a USA corporation.

Originally Posted by Michael
I understand what you would like to do and wish you luck but the issues with the vwp can occur especially with a dog in tow. This site does not have the expertise for such a venture and you should first have a consolation with an immigration lawyer as to the best avenue to proceed before you make any plans. He may be able to suggest an alternate plan to use. A B2 visa would likely be denied due to your age so don't even think about applying for that since a denial would likely make things worse.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Michael,

I never mentioned B2 visa - I actually mentioned E2, as B2 you have to do NO business activity...and I will be engaged in several!

Another point, is OBVIOUSLY, we will not pack up, get on a plane to the USA without the correct paperwork, I was under the impression people had done this on this site, but it is apparent that people on here have done it the "the easy way" by working for someone and not taking risks themselves.

We are trying to do it the legal way.

If anyone has established themselves in the USA in a similar way to myself, let me know. Meaning creating your own business and selling it to a USA corporation.
I know you didn't mention the B2 visa but just warning you that if someone suggests a B2 visa so that could get you 6 months at a time as a visitor, there are perils applying for that visa. Some people seem to think that they can get around regulations by doing strange things.

There has been plenty of people on BE that have gone through the E2 visa. However they all took short trips and purchased their business or did what was required and then got their E2 visa before they moved to the US.

Search the immigration section for E2 visas and you should find several people that have moved to the US on that visa. I don't know of any that tried it the way you want to.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I think if you were a little clearer about your intentions at the beginning, the moderator would have likely moved your thread to the immigration section. The USA section is only one step above the Trailer Park section doesn't necessarily attract the people with the most expertise and is normally used for general discussions about moving and not the technical aspects of visas.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 16th 2012 at 8:34 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Michael,

Thanks, just been looking at that section, I guess we will just pass this to a US immigration lawyer to sort out. Giving us time t focus on what we do best.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Read the wiki, see a way in, go for it.

Your options are either a holiday home, which you won't spend much time in, especially if you aren't of retirement age.

Invest that large sum of money into a business.

Or simply forget it.

Owning property here won't help you.

Playing around trying to stay here without getting a visa is being silly and not fair to your kid.

Splash some of your cash on a lawyer to run over your options, an experienced US immigration lawyer. Shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred tops for a initial consultation, it would be money well spent.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's the problem. You want to, but the US doesn't. You can't do what you want to do on the VWP.

With a family involved, you risk making a big mess of things, especially if you get a ban to the US.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

have you considered looking at an L1 utilsing your Uk business, whilst you may want to sell it you could work out a deal to be 'retained' and then transfer to the US . this gives you a bit better security.

if not then the E2 is your next best option but as a visa its not well loved. bear in mind that at 21 your son would be out on his ear.

next -Cape Coral- are you 100% sure, it is about 40 miles from us and doesnt have the greatest reputation. IMO there are better areas north or south of there.

dog- can help with that -we bought our 130lb french mastiff over. but as has been said resolve the visa etc first.

in order you need
1. a plan
2. an attorney
3. a visa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.