Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dog Ownership

Wikiposts

Dog Ownership

Old May 22nd 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Ownership

Originally Posted by Juswus
btw, I think it;s amazing that you made the best decision for your old girl......I can imagine that must have been such a difficult thing to do. You must be glad that she is happy at home
I agree. A very considerate decision for an old dog. The travel and new, alien environment would have been very stressful for her, before you even worry about the heat.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
The other month, in Feb, our basset, Cecelia, stepped on a piece of glass and almost cut her paw off. For an emergency trip to the vet at 11pm - it lasted until about 12.30pm, stitches, tranquilizer, anti nausea meds, antibiotics by injection and then by mouth, gauze, labor, more gauze for changing the bandage and everything involved, he charged us $86. I helped him with the stitches.
Wow - 13hrs at the vet's??? Seriously??? Poor Cecelia. Hope that she is all better now!
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:43 am
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Wow - 13hrs at the vet's??? Seriously??? Poor Cecelia. Hope that she is all better now!
I meant 12.30am

Yes, she's better now thank goodness. No infection or anything She would have bled to death overnight if we hadn't have taken her in though...
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
I meant 12.30am

Yes, she's better now thank goodness. No infection or anything She would have bled to death overnight if we hadn't have taken her in though...
Excellent news. She's lucky to have you
Old May 23rd 2009, 3:18 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I agree. A very considerate decision for an old dog. The travel and new, alien environment would have been very stressful for her, before you even worry about the heat.
I felt better reading this we left our three cats in the uk 2 13 at least and one about 5, we inherited them all! the eldest we think had been my dads cat when he died I took her, my brother took her on and she died 5 months later, dispite his wifes and vets best effort the other 2 went to a home which had lost cats in the last year of old age and the new owners children wanted kittens he however prefered to take on cats, so we where happy but sad! we know have 2 kittens/cats never see them!!! they hate people! I never insured, I did what a previous poster said just put the amount quoted to me by am insurence company each month, we where quids in 10 years of owning mulitiple cats, with cats if it is costing a fortune, put them down they are suffering, dog slightly different as if a dog get hit by a car, it may need complicated but basically simple??? surgery which will cost a fortune, a cat forget it! there hit! they either live or they don't! or you amputate!
Old May 24th 2009, 5:09 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
Most parks will have a sign to say if you cant take a dog there. Or will say if there are any regulations, like dogs have to be on a lead there.

Around my way, I think the general rule is they can be off leash so long as you have "strong recall command" in other words they actually listen to you when you call...not like mine

If you google, you should be able to find a list of parks/beaches that are dog friendly near you.
Leash laws are usually determined by the a local counties/cities. Personally I think it's a good thing. My dearly departed dog, Andie, LOVED people -- loved being petted, would put her head in your lap so you would scratch her neck, and kissed people by licking their knees if they were wearing shorts/skirts. But Andie was not very dog-friendly, which is typical of the Akita breed. She was always on-leash when she was outside, unless we took her to a fenced-in area (like my brother's back yard) where no other dogs were present.

Sometimes we'd take Andie to our local park, which requires dogs to be on-leash, so we could walk around the trails or even have a picnic. As always, Andie would be on a leash the entire time. Inevitably there'd be some off-leash, random dog who'd spot Andie and come BOUNDING towards us at full-speed, with the stupid owner slowly jogging along behind trying to catch up.

In order to avoid a confrontation, I'd call out to the owner and ask them very firmly to put their dog on a leash, reminding them that the park requires it. The response I'd ALWAYS get was: "Oh, don't worry, he's very dog-friendly" -- to which I always had to respond, "Well, unfortunately my dog ISN'T."

Of course, the owner never considered that his friendly dog might be an annoyance to other people, and might actually be putting his own dog at risk by keeping the dog off-leash. I mean, really -- there are reasons leash laws exist!

~ Jenney
Old May 24th 2009, 8:24 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
with cats if it is costing a fortune, put them down they are suffering, dog slightly different as if a dog get hit by a car, it may need complicated but basically simple??? surgery which will cost a fortune, a cat forget it! there hit! they either live or they don't! or you amputate!

sounds like your 3 cats had a lucky escape being left behind in England

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I don't imagine abandonment by a dogs 'pack' (its owners) is any more traumatic than a move. Animals adapt to different climates, as do us humans.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved last year from MA to CO we drove with the dogs in the back of the car. We would never have given any thought to leaving them behind with anyone, although they were both around 8 years old at the time. It took us about 4 days to travel with breaks and they did just fine and have adjusted to their new surroundings without any problems.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
with cats if it is costing a fortune, put them down they are suffering, dog slightly different as if a dog get hit by a car, it may need complicated but basically simple??? surgery which will cost a fortune, a cat forget it! there hit! they either live or they don't! or you amputate!
thats bad advice.

Im a cat owner, have been my entire life. if you cannot afford to look after an animal, be it dog or cat then should you really own it? just having an animal put down because you cannot afford the vets bills in itself a harsh and cruel act.

I have insurance on my cat, a few years back i didnt, and he got hit by a car, i took out a loan to pay for the vets fees, and he recovered just fine (took my bank balance a lot longer!)

would you give up a child because you cant afford the hospital fees?

OT: I want to get a dog once ive settled into my own place when i move to Missouri. Will wait till im out of the MIL's house first because she already has a dog and i need to see how my cat and her dog get along. Im not sure how dog friendly some places are and i never even heard of off and on leash parks, thanks for the info!
Old May 24th 2009, 11:49 am
Just Joined

griffy76 is just really nicegriffy76 is just really nicegriffy76 is just really nicegriffy76 is just really nicegriffy76 is just really nicegriffy76 is just really nicegriffy76 is just really nicegriffy76 is just really nice

Be careful with Banfield at Petsmart.. It seems to be ok if you have a pet with no issues. We recently rescued a dog from a meth house and he has problems. (about $2000 so far and still no word on what his problem may be, lots of tests but no answers) Only speaking from personal experience but the vets seem to only know about 'regular' doggy problems. Our other dog has been great with Banfield but is is 'issue free'. They are both dachshunds.......
Old May 24th 2009, 12:15 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by griffy76
Be careful with Banfield at Petsmart.. It seems to be ok if you have a pet with no issues. We recently rescued a dog from a meth house and he has problems. (about $2000 so far and still no word on what his problem may be, lots of tests but no answers) Only speaking from personal experience but the vets seem to only know about 'regular' doggy problems. Our other dog has been great with Banfield but is is 'issue free'. They are both dachshunds.......

The veterinarian at Banfield will have gone to one of the same universities that any other veterinarian went to, and will be licensed by the state board. However Banfield offer a 'canned' approach to diagnosis and treatment. Their doctors are required to diagnose and offer treatments according to company policy. A veterinarian I know refused to work for them after discovering this restrictive practice. It is not necessarily bad medicine, but it is only one thought medicine. Give 3 veterinarians a 'difficult' case and they will invariably all have their own idea's as to treatment. It is no different in human medicine.
Proper diagnosis is going to take tests, and you are sometimes ruling out conditions rather than proving them.
I wouldn't rule Banfields out, they offer an affordable service, as do other large chains like VCA ( http://www.vcapets.com/ )

Most hospitals offer care credit for those who cannot afford to pay. Some veterinarians will often adopt a sick animal and pay its medical bill if the owner is unable to pay but is willing to sign the animal over; typically this is a real bill for the veterinarian (with staff discount), but a real expense they take on to prevent an animal being euthanized.

Last edited by thinbrit; May 24th 2009 at 12:18 pm.
Old May 24th 2009, 12:43 pm
Banned

Gregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant future

We left our 13 year old Welsh Corgi Pembroke, Chelsea back home when we came over, it was a gut wrenching decision and 6 days after our arrival here we got word from the Woodborough Kennels and Cattery that she had passed away. I was still liable for the entire months boarding fees by the way. We felt she could'nt have made the long journey over here but somehow I can't help that think she'd be here with us now had we tried.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where we used to be our old dog used to just chill outside the house. When she got bored she walked down the hill and hung out on a neighbours porch.

When they sold they mentioned at closing that she had rights... They had an old dog as well so they would hang out together and take turns barking at whoever needed it.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:14 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where we used to be our old dog used to just chill outside the house. When she got bored she walked down the hill and hung out on a neighbours porch.

When they sold they mentioned at closing that she had rights... They had an old dog as well so they would hang out together and take turns barking at whoever needed it.
bless
Old May 25th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a quick doggy joke to cheer all you animal lovers up:

An Alsatian went to a telegram office, took out a blank form and wrote, “Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof.”

The clerk examined the paper and politely told the dog: “There are only nine words here. You could send another ‘Woof’ for the same price.”

“But,” the dog replied, “that would make no sense at all.”

My daughter told me this one the other day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.