British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Doesn't seem real yet !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/doesnt-seem-real-yet-502022/)

Jmaster911 Dec 28th 2007 10:22 am

Doesn't seem real yet !!

Well I'm sat here in my Kitchen surrounded by boxes and removal men, I leave for Dallas tomorrow morning and right now nothing seems very real to me. Its as if I'm going on holiday for a few weeks!! :confused:

Did anybody else feel like this when they were getting ready to leave and if so when did it finally hit you that you were gone or going for good?

anabella Dec 28th 2007 10:36 am

Re: Doesn't seem real yet !!

Originally Posted by Jmaster911 (Post 5711915)
Well I'm sat here in my Kitchen surrounded by boxes and removal men, I leave for Dallas tomorrow morning and right now nothing seems very real to me. Its as if I'm going on holiday for a few weeks!! :confused:

Did anybody else feel like this when they were getting ready to leave and if so when did it finally hit you that you were gone or going for good?

Moving abroad does seem a bit surreal until you get to your destination and it all starts to sink in..

I hope a lot of good things are waiting for you in Texas :)

another bloody yank Dec 28th 2007 11:39 am

If you think it's surreal now, wait until you get to Dallas.

britex01 Dec 28th 2007 11:59 am

It all depends on how much you feel about the prospects of moving for good. Leaving familiar surroundings, friends and family, can be a wee daunting at the early stages. DFW is quite different in many ways, as with the rest of Texas. But once you get there, unpacking, I'm sure you'll be fine. Uprooting is often a stressful time. Go with the flow...

A new Year, a new start.

----

dave2702 Dec 28th 2007 1:04 pm

I know what you mean, it's wierd thinking "this will be the last time that I do ..." and even stranger at the airport but don't worry in a couple of days time you'll be attending to all the "joys" of settling into the US

Redlippie Dec 28th 2007 4:29 pm

Within a month you'll be on here begging to find out where you can get Heinz Baked Beans :D

The first few months over here are hectic; exciting, scary, and you do feel like you're on holiday. But then reality sets in and before you know it, you'll be having a moan and a half on here with the rest of us poor sods. :D

krizzy Dec 28th 2007 4:40 pm

I felt like I was on Holiday for about 3 years....then the money really ran out and we hit the ground with a big bump....:eek:

Elvira Dec 28th 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by dave2702 (Post 5712242)
I know what you mean, it's wierd thinking "this will be the last time that I do ..." and even stranger at the airport but don't worry in a couple of days time you'll be attending to all the "joys" of settling into the US

Don't burn your bridges...

snowbunny Dec 28th 2007 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Redlippie (Post 5712811)
Within a month you'll be on here begging to find out where you can get Heinz Baked Beans :D

The first few months over here are hectic; exciting, scary, and you do feel like you're on holiday. But then reality sets in and before you know it, you'll be having a moan and a half on here with the rest of us poor sods. :D

She's lucky, she's got me! (200 miles south but I do know where to find baked beans!)

There are several expats on this board in the DFW area. You *will* enjoy the weather this time of year with lots of sun and summertime (UK) temperatures. It's your chance to make sure your house and car have working air conditioning before April arrives. :p

britex01 Dec 28th 2007 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5712954)
It's your chance to make sure your house and car have working air conditioning before April arrives. :p

I vividly remember the last time I visited DFW during April... 90F plus! Yet some stores are so bloody cold! I had to step outside of one store to thaw out! AC OTT!! Later, in the opening days of January in Oklahoma, it was glorious weather - 70F! I then flew back to the UK. Brrrrr....

I was so tanned, folk asked if I had just flew in from Africa! :D

----

dave2702 Dec 28th 2007 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5712863)
Don't burn your bridges...

Absolutely not, every couple of months I seriously check out JobServeUK but when I was just about to come over here for the 1st time it did feel like a significant end of a chapter ;)

g1ant Dec 28th 2007 9:55 pm

..when did it finally hit you that you were gone

The first time I tasted the beer. :p

MsElui Dec 30th 2007 1:08 am

i can remember getting all tearful as i went round tesco for the last time, or paid the milkman, or posted a letter in a mailbox - daft things like that! I been here 2 and a half months and it all feels scarily normal now.

Andy_Aitken Dec 31st 2007 5:20 am

Hi there, I found a new part of my Albertsons store that has Ribena Codial drink, Real Baked Beans and Tetley Tea Bags.
All other stuff I buy at the British food store here in Las Vegas, have not been home for nine years and itching so much to get back to visit I'm blotchy.....:lol:
There is also a British Shop in Dallas that I used to go to while I lived there, think it was somewhere near Greenville (a Street in Dallas), it should be in the Yellow Pages.

pejpm1 Dec 31st 2007 11:28 pm

I'm in Wisconsin at the moment with my girlfriend and her family for xmas (she's from WI originally) we are moving from London to NYC in March. I'm going to NYC for a couple of weeks from tomorrow to work in the ny office and to finalise details, meet with human resources to disscuss terms..etc .etc......and it already feels really surreal! I cant believe that it's actually going to happen. I dont know how I'm going to feel when the time comes to move out....I'm sure it'll be fine after I'm settled but I expect the first month or two to feel very weird.