Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does your grocery store spray water on the veggies?

Does your grocery store spray water on the veggies?

Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does your grocery store spray water on the veggies?

Originally Posted by rincewind
It helps keep the veggies fresh.

In their natural state plants replace water they lose to the atmosphere by absorbing it through their roots. When plants lose more water than they take in, they wilt and eventually die. In the grocery store, plants have no way to absorb water naturally from the ground. So they need to be sprayed to keep them from wilting.

So now you know

Thanks Google
So why don't they do it in England then?
I think it is all a ploy to make things go off sooner....

- Tim
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:19 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my stores do it, I got my hair washed by it the other evening. I was just leaning in choosing a nice bunch of radish and it came on, I got a lovely bump on the head too trying to get out of the water quickly. I didn't realize that I was then walking around the store with mascara run all down my face and black drips on my white top. I looked a sight.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, but there over watered, and if there fresh, they don't need to be sprayed, only if there kept on the shelves for a week...
exactly..always takes me about 5 minutes to rummage through the bags of grapes to find one that isn't already rotten, last few times I've been to the supermarket, I've picked their organic range of fruit and veg (lasts slightly longer) and and peeled off the organic stickers so I don't get charged the outragous prices they charge for organic stuff, $2.50 for an organic mango I haven't been caught yet and it makes me feel slightly better about having to buy the shite they sell..
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
They don't do it because turn over of the veg could be quicker...cooler storage in transport of the veg as well could be another factor..
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
exactly..always takes me about 5 minutes to rummage through the bags of grapes to find one that isn't already rotten, last few times I've been to the supermarket, I've picked their organic range of fruit and veg (lasts slightly longer) and and peeled off the organic stickers so I don't get charged the outragous prices they charge for organic stuff, $2.50 for an organic mango I haven't been caught yet and it makes me feel slightly better about having to buy the shite they sell..
Nice idea
Can't believe how expensive things like mango's are...and pineapples...but then again, sister would normally bring them over fresh from brazil, get mango's, coconuts, pineapples and some other such, cost a few pennies over there, and then she'd give 'em to my mother, normally when she wants me to come fix her puter though *lol*
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed they did it when we first moved over because my arm got soaked getting my salad stuff. I don't know if they still do it or I just don't notice it anymore.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:56 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Its a common practise in both NZ & Australia too but the fruit & veg are given a light mist not a soaking & it really does help keep them fresh. Here in the US they give them a real drenching which seems to make them rot really fast. Idea is good but they need to get it right!!!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:59 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain

- Tim
I have seen this done in England.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:39 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

Our local giant store packs brussel sprouts and brocolli in ice odd or what
Old Apr 30th 2005, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

grapefruit&milk is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always thought the reason they drench the veggies is so they stay nice and waterlogged...and heavy. If they charge by the ounce, it ways more and more $$$ for them!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

grapefruit&milk is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always thought the reason they drench the veggies is so they stay nice and waterlogged...and heavy. If they charge by the ounce, it weighs more and more $$$ for the grocer!
Old May 1st 2005, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

At my last grocery store there would be an announcment "Sprinklers are about to start" and then "Singing in the Rain" would play while the sprayers were on. Whatever it did or didn't do for the veggies it used to give me a laugh.