Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does this still hold true in England?

Does this still hold true in England?

Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Poshpaws
I think you may be right . When we came here 20 odd years ago, it was unthinkable to 'up and off' ....
I'm not so sure about it being "unthinkable" twenty years ago as my parents seriously considered emigrating to either New Zealand or Australia a full thirty years ago, visiting both country's London embassies on "fact-finding missions".

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 8th 2003 at 11:52 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Well maybe not unthinkable then, as that is the easy part. Stamina plus tenacity, takes over when the thinking becomes a reality.

FIL had a wonderful job offer in Bermuda when DH was eleven years old. I believe he wonders to this day, how different his life may have been. Hubby remembers going to London with him to finalize everything...then the MIL said no to everything! Typical!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... FIL had a wonderful job offer in Bermuda when DH was eleven years old. I believe he wonders to this day, how different his life may have been. Hubby remembers going to London with him to finalize everything...then the MIL said no to everything! Typical!
I don't blame her, I too had a job offer to work in Bermuda, and Bermuda is a rare example of somwhere that is as commonly "misplaced" by British as by Americans - I have been told a number of times in both countries that it is in the Carribbean!

Bermuda might be a nice little island, but it is about as far as you can get from land without going to South Georgia, or an island in the Pacific. I actually had a recruitment agent try to persuade me to take there job on the grounds that I would be "closer to America" (where I was trying to land a job at the time).
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Don't think her reasons for saying no, where the same as yours though. She just says no to eveything!

BTW ...what line of work are you in, if you do not mind telling please?
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:00 am

..... BTW ...what line of work are you in, if you do not mind telling please?
Organized crime!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

That would account for the Italian colouring then? Just look over your shoulder whilst retreating then old son.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:08 am

That would account for the Italian colouring then? ...
No. .... I'm Yorkshire Mafia!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Agh! They are the worst...'don't do nought for ought'...is not that their slogan?
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what kind of reaction Americans get who have moved to the UK. Until my husband met me he did not have a passport he had however travelled through out the states BUT I have heard of people who have never left their home state. I can only imagine what people like that think when a family member moves abroad.

Ash
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:48 am

Agh! They are the worst...'don't do nought for ought'...is not that their slogan?
No, we don't do ".... ought for nought ...." (anything for nothing).
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Pul...Hey! Iwas close!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:20 am
Simple Life

Chris Cox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does this still hold true in England?

We are in the process of relocating and I must say that most people we have told have wished us luck and expressed a desire to do the same thing themselves. I think the majority of the decent people in the UK have had enough of the country. I do agree with your comments but put a lot of it down to people who have a desire to do it but lack the courage to try
This may not hold true anymore with the younger generation as much as the wrinklies...but did friends and kin wish you well when you broke the news you were leaving for greener pastures? I'm not talking about marring a yank here, but giving up everything ( both Brits here ) for a brighter future.

Can't remember anyone jumping up for joy when we left, all doom and gloom....much muttrering about murders, and no health insurance etc.

For the love of me, why can't Brits wish one well..even if they can't, or don't have the gumption to do it themselves.? Nothing was more daunting for us than the lack of goodwill that we experienced.

To this day I have maintained that the Yanks are blessed with a kinder spirit than us Brits ever will have..maybe that is their strength.

Yes I miss certain things about my homeland...but not their lack of kindness for others.

What do you say ??
Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:26 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chris Cox
We are in the process of relocating and I must say that most people we have told have wished us luck and expressed a desire to do the same thing themselves. I think the majority of the decent people in the UK have had enough of the country. I do agree with your comments but put a lot of it down to people who have a desire to do it but lack the courage to try
I'm afraid I do not agree that most decent people have had enough with this country. Everyone I know is perfectly happy here. It's not perfect but they don't see that any other country is either.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chris Cox
It's hazardous to use the term, "decent people". It's too subjective. Your definition of a decent could easily differ to your next door neighbor's definition of the same...

e.g. are you religious? Are you Christian? If you're Christian, do you consider those who are non-Christians to be not as "decent" as you? What about your "class"? What about people who live in trailer homes or in state subsidized housing? What about people like Martha Stewart?

NC Penguin
Old Dec 12th 2003, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
I wonder what kind of reaction Americans get who have moved to the UK. Until my husband met me he did not have a passport he had however travelled through out the states BUT I have heard of people who have never left their home state. I can only imagine what people like that think when a family member moves abroad.

Ash

This summer I trecked down to PA with my wife and a cousin of hers and it was the first time that she had ever left NY state in her entire life!!! That is very scary!!!!! :scared: :scared:

With reference to the overall direction of this thread, I can only echo the sentiments of others and say that many of my friends/relatives/work mates commented that this move was something that they wished they had the "balls" to do themselves.

In my experience, I have found that people in England (generalising) are afraid of change... Many of them do not want to apply for that wonderful new job, they do not want to move to that better house in a better area... and the prospect of moving to a different country/continent is completely terrifying to them!!

The one comment that people said to me more than anything else when I told them I was moving to America was "I wish I could do that"!!!!!

Why to people say this unless they are afraid of change and having a person they know actually doing something they regard as the impossible scares them!!

Just my opinion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.