Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does This Sound Right?

Does This Sound Right?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:21 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does This Sound Right?

Originally Posted by USBound
The strange looking screw you're seeing is called a T-drive, go to your local electronics store (possibly hardware store) and ask.

Normally they use either a T-10 or a T-15. They'll cost you about $3 each. The bulb is likely to be stock and cost around the same.

good luck...
Even more specifically, it's called a Torx screw. As USBound says, you should be able to pick up a single Torx wrench for a couple of bucks at any hardware store, and once you've got that bugger open you're sure to find a bog-standard bulb in there
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Even more specifically, it's called a Torx screw. As USBound says, you should be able to pick up a single Torx wrench for a couple of bucks at any hardware store, and once you've got that bugger open you're sure to find a bog-standard bulb in there
Thats what I though with my Toshiba... case came off normally but the bulb was 90v... specially made for toshiba apparently...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:31 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats what I though with my Toshiba... case came off normally but the bulb was 90v... specially made for toshiba apparently...

This is not the story you told last time about how your microwave broke. Now the truth is coming out...........
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
This is not the story you told last time about how your microwave broke. Now the truth is coming out...........
No!! this is a very long time ago ..when I was at the forefront of technology
the toshiba was one of the first domestic microwaves available ..
Not the current 30 year later one ...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:38 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
No!! this is a very long time ago ..when I was at the forefront of technology
the toshiba was one of the first domestic microwaves available ..
Not the current 30 year later one ...

You have a microwave thirty years ago? I'm impressed. Probably came with turntable and a teasmade built in, right?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:57 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You have a microwave thirty years ago? I'm impressed. Probably came with turntable and a teasmade built in, right?
Bah! You need this 1947 Raytheon Radarange. Light probably still works just fine.

Or this 1967 Radarange. I've used a few of these in recent years. Seem to work forever. Not sure about the shielding, though. :scared:

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jul 28th 2005 at 4:59 am.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:17 am
Ray

I just worked it back... it was in 1974.. and I got it from the only the only microwave shop inthe UK at the time in George street Croydon
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I just worked it back... it was in 1974.. and I got it from the only the only microwave shop inthe UK at the time in George street Croydon

Where was that now? Memory Lane?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/trams/maps/pdf...l%20Poster.pdf
Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What would you do in my situation?
Put some candles in the corners.....
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:06 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

I can't access the bulb from inside the microwave. The only way to the bulb is via the back of the microwave and the back panel is held in with really odd shaped screws (star shaped).

NC Penguin
The chances of the lamp being an oddity are slim. Once you get the old one out you will probably find a replacement at Home Depot or Loews.

The "really odd shaped screws" are called "TORX". You should be able to find TORX screwdrivers in any hardware store or car accessory place.

Don't forget to unplug it from the wall before taking the back off.