British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Does this seem a good price ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/does-seem-good-price-513644/)

wisewol Feb 11th 2008 9:14 pm

Does this seem a good price ?

Have just phoned up to try and arrange phone etc with Brighthouse which is our area one and they quoted me $99 a month for cable, phone and internet does this seem a reasonable price ? They said that once we registered we could then arrange international calls. Any thoughts ??

Bluegrass Lass Feb 11th 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Does this seem a good price ?

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 5918701)
Have just phoned up to try and arrange phone etc with Brighthouse which is our area one and they quoted me $99 a month for cable, phone and internet does this seem a reasonable price ? They said that once we registered we could then arrange international calls. Any thoughts ??

That's pretty reasonably priced. That is about what we are paying for all 3 services through our local cable provider.

chicagojlo Feb 11th 2008 9:22 pm

That's what we are paying too but international calling is already included. We pay 8cts a minute to the UK. AT&T used to charge us less per minute but a standard fee of $5 a month on top.

Bob Feb 11th 2008 10:01 pm

That's a pretty good rate, just check to see if that's on contract and what the rate will be after any introductory offer...

Ray Feb 11th 2008 10:16 pm

Yep same as I pay ...same area ...that includes all calls except overseas ...
UK calls are at extra 7 0r 8c a minute ...

cpltony Feb 11th 2008 10:30 pm

I pay a little over, but have the higher package for cable.
As stated before, check the price is fixed and not introductory.
But yes, its a good deal.

basementwaj Feb 11th 2008 10:46 pm

not bad but what is the cable package?

I found it cheaper to get my TV through Dish Network, internet through AT&T and phone through Vonage. All UK and US calls are included in the $25 monthly price.

All in all we pay about $120 a month but our calls are free, and we have all tv channels in 4 rooms and HD DVR.

ironporer Feb 11th 2008 11:04 pm

When I checked into the BH plan, the international calls coupled with the plan cost was pretty steep as I recall.

They have a savings calculator here:

http://www.tampabay.mybrighthouse.co...s/default.aspx

mayhemuk Feb 11th 2008 11:22 pm

Similar to our Comcast deal. But we have no option for TV.
When we move later in the year I'd switch to a Dish if possible.

basementwaj Feb 11th 2008 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 5919180)
Similar to our Comcast deal. But we have no option for TV.
When we move later in the year I'd switch to a Dish if possible.

i HIGHLY recommend Dish Network. We cant fault ours.... and we got a free HD DVR with 250 channels. HD DVR in 2 rooms, regular def in 2 more rooms... all for $60 a month.
Best part is 1 box feeds two rooms, so if you have no room for the box (or have a flat screen mounted to the wall like us) you havent got to hide the sat receiver as its in another room!

chicagojlo Feb 12th 2008 1:45 am

I don't recommend Directv if you will live anywhere that gets storms. Signal can be lost for hours in a thunderstorm. Or even just a thick cloud cover. Grrr!

paddingtongreen Feb 12th 2008 2:50 am

Don't pay for an international plan. Use 10-10-297. 39 cents for the call + 3 cents a minute, $0.99 gets you 20 minutes and no monthly fee either. Check it out

cpltony Feb 12th 2008 3:00 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 5919564)
I don't recommend Directv if you will live anywhere that gets storms. Signal can be lost for hours in a thunderstorm. Or even just a thick cloud cover. Grrr!

Oklahoma resident......I can attest to that.

Ray Feb 12th 2008 3:03 am

In florida forget any satellite system ...

The other option may be Fios ..from verizon ...

but there prices changed so often by the rep ...
I turfed him out .

frrussre Feb 12th 2008 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5919754)
In florida forget any satellite system ...

The other option may be Fios ..from verizon ...

but there prices changed so often by the rep ...
I turfed him out .

Hi Ray, do the Satellite systems have constant outages?
Had Time Warner in NYC , never had much service problems. Here in Sth Florida Comcast, continuos problems.
Reg. Frank R.