British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Does registering children for UK passport affect their US citizenship? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/does-registering-children-uk-passport-affect-their-us-citizenship-731515/)

devexpat Sep 7th 2011 10:45 pm

Does registering children for UK passport affect their US citizenship?

Hi all;

My two children are US citizens (born in Los Angeles), my wife is US-born and I was born in London to English parents, and emigrated to the United States in my 30's. I am a naturalized US citizen and still a UK citizen.

I'd like to apply for English passports for my children, but I'm concerned that in in applying for their UK passports, they would be giving up their US citizen status. Anyone been through this process?

Thanks
Greg

cranners99 Sep 7th 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Does registering children for UK passport affect their US citizenship?

There is no problem with the being born as dual citizens. All you need to do is put in the applications to the Embassy in Washington DC.

Jerseygirl Sep 7th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by devexpat (Post 9606647)
Hi all;

My two children are US citizens (born in Los Angeles), my wife is US-born and I was born in London to English parents, and emigrated to the United States in my 30's. I am a naturalized US citizen and still a UK citizen.

I'd like to apply for English passports for my children, but I'm concerned that in in applying for their UK passports, they would be giving up their US citizen status. Anyone been through this process?

Thanks
Greg

Hello and welcome to BE.

Your children will not have to give up their US citizenship...they are US and most probably UK citizens by descent. There are many on here who have dual citizen children...no doubt someone will be along son to help you through the process.

ian-mstm Sep 7th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by devexpat (Post 9606647)
I'm concerned that in in applying for their UK passports, they would be giving up their US citizen status.

If they are UK citizens, they are entitled to UK passports. Applying for and recieving UK passports provide proof of their status as UK citizens... a passport is NOT the citizenship itself.

Anyone been through this process?
Many have... you'll be fine.

Oh... one final note, only an act of treason can cause a US citizen to lose their citizenship. Applying for a foreign passport is not an act of treason! :)

Ian

tonrob Sep 7th 2011 11:56 pm

English passports? :blink:

Bob Sep 8th 2011 12:53 am

:lol:

Funny...yeah, no problems in getting them UK passports. Possibly worth registering their births with the consulate, not necessary but handy for verification years down the line if they happen to lose UK passports and you're dead as getting the proof from scratch can be a hassle.

Thoughts, well being a citizen of another nation won't necessarily affect any future security clearance if they were going for such jobs, but holding valid passports in those nations could.

Oh and as they are UK citizens by descent, they do not automatically pass on UK citizenship to any kids they have, unless they are residing in the UK.

devexpat Sep 8th 2011 3:11 pm

Wow, thanks so much for the fast and detailed replies cranners99, jerseygirl, ian-mstm and Bob! (What a fantastic forum!)
I'll go ahead and start the ball rolling with these and appreciate your additional thoughts on this, Bob.