Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does the quality of life you get in the US really compensates the lack of yearly hols

Does the quality of life you get in the US really compensates the lack of yearly hols

Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Pippins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does the quality of life you get in the US really compensates the lack of yearly

Hello! Duncan,

I am quite aware of that as all of my best friends, relatives and passed neighbors live in the US now. All the folks I studied with, in the most selective Communist school in Cuba, whose "Godfather" was none other than the actual president himself, fled the country and have rebuilt their lives in the US.. It is true you get a lot of the pre-fabricate house in the US, particularly in Florida.

But I do have friends that have decent houses, a medium swimming pool and can afford to have their own boat and go for a fun ride on the week-ends. As I said, I've worked Saturdays and not afraid of work. I like working... Plus would one day give it a go at having my own business...

But I think, the same quality of house I have bought (and I am not in a bad area) with the curse of having to pay 25 years for it, I will be able to get it next year mortgage free... I have followed the property market in the US and Canada and know what the particularities are; as we have always contemplated both options. And today, as it is, we would have been able to buy a far better property, recently built, mortgage-free, in the greater Toronto area in Canada...

Things is I'm very close to the American culture and always grew up under its influence. Plus have all my best child-hood friends living in the US... All the people I shared time with and all my good and bad experiences as a kid live in the US, and even this year when I visited my country I found out the other three or four that I thought were still in the country have also fled to the US... So, almost every morning I ask myself what I am doing here so far with almost no real friends (the friends you make during your youth are never that same as the folks you just share time with at work or once a month in a get together) and no family at all. Funny enough, my cousin who lives in Orlando, Fl, was visiting at the same time...

The only real thing that pulls me back today, as a father, is the fact of having no social security in the States and healthcare might be a really sensitive issue, particularly when our youngest boy is not even one-year old... And yes, because of my status, we'll get Medicare coverage for the first year but then what???
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the quality of life you get in the US really compensates the lack of yearly

Originally Posted by Pippins
Hello! Englishtart,

You might have a point there, but still you can always plan something whenever you feel like and give yourself and your family a break and go somewhere if you feel like it... And not wait for July or August when you'll be maybe able to wear short-sleeve shirts and enjoy the outdoors...

And still there you will ask yourself the same question: And where will I go??? This country does not offer you any options and just a break out for a couple of hours to any place will cost you a right arm!!! I mean just go to the zoo and your looking at close to 50 GBP for three persons plus gas, plus congestion charge if it is in London plus parking (4 pounds per hour)... Sorry, I lived in the centre of Paris and parking was 1 Euro per hour until 18h00 and free everywhere in the week-ends, even in front of Notre-Dame. Not to mention that the zoo is 4.00 Euros per person and kids go free...

I believe this country has gone nuts and it is not a place to raise kids. Look at them stabbing themselves when they are 13... The government just keeps the average folk at the brink of misery preying on their wages and not giving them any choice... Look at all those arrogant, inmoral MPs that run these country claiming expenses for even a nail-cutter bought at an Indian shop on people's taxes... No room here for personal achievement and enterprenneurial spirit unless you throw yourself on the speculative property market...

At least in the US you have an idea, you go for it. And believe me, I know plenty of folks who've made their own way, without having even had an university diploma ever... Try to go for it in this country and the taxes will fall on your shoulders like LEAD. Of course, somebody have to pay the million-pound residences of our dear politicians, NHS administrative staff, our dearest HMRC employees, not to mention the Border Agency and the useless bunch from the Royal Family... No wonder people are still considered "British Subjects", the word says it all...

Anyway, I think the US allows you the opportunity of doing something with your own life without the worry for the average folk of having to wait a life time to own your house, and that's worth all the extra-work and energy you can put on it... I've always been a hard-working guy, and in my country you even have to work on Fridays. It never bothered me if we keep the political stuff out...

I know for English-born folks is difficult sometimes to have a different idea of things and you have been born here and this is all you've known since birth. We are still happy of living in a priviledged country and not starving or killing ourselves in the Eastern hemisphere. But still, get the impression my years here are going into waste and are not worth the capital you can raise...

In answer to a remark in your previous post...the UK does have a temperate climate. Many US states have extremes of climate...for instance here in NJ we have hot, very humid summers but the winters are bitterly cold...you cannot begin to compare an English winter to ours.

If you are discussing London...then it's only fair to compare it to cities like NYC. The mayor of NYC has been trying to get a proposal passed for congestion charges...property is expensive...if you work in NYC you have to pay city income tax as well as state and federal taxes. Have you ever tried to park in NYC...it is very expensive and you are charged approx $20 extra for a larger vehicle.

I really don't understand your comparison about holidays. OK you may have to travel to mainland Europe for better weather...but many have to travel to another state...hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

The things you have said about politicians, taxes, crime etc...do you think that doesn't happen here? As for the NHS don't get me started on that subject. Try reading some of the threads about US healthcare in the BE US forum...then maybe you'll see the NHS through different eyes.

Most US states have a fire at will policy...which means no matter how long you've worked for the company they can fire you...giving you no notice, no reason, no pay...they don't even have to pay you for any vacation days you've not used. If you're lucky enough to have healthcare insurance with your job...you've lost that too. In which case you'd better hope you have several million saved to cover any serious illnesses or accidents your family may have...even then it may not be enough to save you from bankruptcy. If you are off work sick...don't be surprised if you are fired from your job and of course with that goes the health insurance if you are lucky enough to have it. Several of our members have/are experiencing a similar circumstance.

Those decent houses you've mentioned. They may look like it from the outside but they are merely a wooden frame...with a fancy facade.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 19th 2009 at 3:33 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

With respect Pippins, I really think you need to take off the rose tinted glasses, when looking at the US

Politicians are the same pretty much the World over, the corruption/fraud etc, is no different here, taxes are just as bad, if not worse and don't get us started on the health insurance

The economy at the moment makes it very hard for people that have been laid off from jobs they thought were lifetime careers, to get taken on anywhere else, unless they have a bachelors degree or higher. If you read through a couple of other recent threads, you will see that 'experience' in your career field isn't much of a draw for a lot of employers anymore.

As for 'getting an idea and running with it' that isn't so easy these days either, unless you have the capital to get it off the ground yourself. Banks are just not lending people money for business loans, like they used too.

I respect the fact that you are trying to give your kids a better future, I really don't believe that there are no safe places to raise kids in the UK anymore, there are plenty of places in the US that I would never want my kids to live, but there are also some lovely places that I would move too tomorrow. Maybe you should think about doing that in the UK? by moving to another area, you could find what you need without leaving the Country and possibly jumping from the frying pan, straight into the fire
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Great minds huh JG?

Also, to add to JG's great points about employers rights, we have just had one of our members wives 'fired' whilst on sick leave, that is quite legal here in the US...don't think it is in the UK?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Pippins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Chartreuse,

yes, I will pretty much like to do my own thing... Is not like I don't have a degree or anything. Degrees I have plenty of them: from the University of Havana, from the French Chamber of Commerce in Paris and other institutions, etc...

I have never had problems to find work, not in France, not in Spain, not in the UK, and don't think will have any in the US... I was teacher at Havana University myself during my short professionnal life in Cuba and have worked for several known French and US companies companies after. I've done quite different things and have only been in the Corporate Travel Industry for two years and a half now for the only reason that it allows me flexibility, good bonuses and the chance of doing extra hours at a very good rate. But if the going gets tough in the US, wouldn't mind doing any kind of job if that's what it takes to put food on the table... Of course, we wouldn't make the move without an important cash-savings back-up...

I just don't get the feeling I'm enjoying my spiritual life here, even if cannot complain about the material side of things...

As for my wife, don't think will have much trouble in the long run. It's true the profession is controlled by the Architects' Guild in some states but her parents and her brother have each their own companies and she could work fron home for them for a while and make a very decent wage out of it... Thnks G. the Internet!!!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Great minds huh JG?

Also, to add to JG's great points about employers rights, we have just had one of our members wives 'fired' whilst on sick leave, that is quite legal here in the US...don't think it is in the UK?
Not to mention another member whose wife was in a similar postion...only she was a nurse and the hospital sacked her for being sick...great eh? They accrued massive debts due to medical bills and had to return to the UK. Oh and when I say massive medical bills...I'm not talking about $10K...$10K would be a drop in the ocean.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 19th 2009 at 1:55 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think the quality of life here in the US is great. My hubby gets 5 weeks vacation. We live in a south eastern state, with sunshine almost every day, mild winters, low property taxes, and not far from the beach. The beach is not crowded with people, and the ocean water is toasty warm in the summer. Shopping is easy, with loads of parking. I live in a good sized town, that is the state capital, and a university town, so a lot of interesting things usually going on. Gas prices are much cheaper, so obviously you can travel around more. You aren't dependent on the weather for making plans for outdoor cooking, trips to the beach or the lake. We have a large lake on our doorstep, fabulous for water sports and swimming. We have lake access and a private dock.

My siblings love coming over from England, and don't want to leave! They love the lake, the beach, shopping, easy parking, cheap price of a lot of things.

You see thousands of people leaving the UK every year to go to Canada, NZ, Australia, looking for something better. You won't see thousands leaving the US every year to go to those places, because it's already here.

I still make trips back to UK to visit family, and I still love England. The things that would stop me going back, are the weather, the crowded shops, the limited parking, and small houses. I also prefer the medical system here (even though I am FOR universal health care).
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pippins
And still there you will ask yourself the same question: And where will I go??? This country does not offer you any options and just a break out for a couple of hours to any place will cost you a right arm!!! I mean just go to the zoo and your looking at close to 50 GBP for three persons plus gas, plus congestion charge if it is in London plus parking (4 pounds per hour)... Sorry, I lived in the centre of Paris and parking was 1 Euro per hour until 18h00 and free everywhere in the week-ends, even in front of Notre-Dame. Not to mention that the zoo is 4.00 Euros per person and kids go free...
You are really looking in the wrong places if you think that any day out costs that amount of money. We all went to the Science Museum in London yesterday and it cost us (family of 4) £0. No congestion charge at the weekend, no parking costs (free at meters on Sundays, parked right outside) and free entry. Took a picnic and ate it in the museum. A fab day out and didn't cost us anything other than the petrol to get there. We regularly do the same thing and go to other museums, art galleries, etc, at the weekend. The Natural History museum is a fave with my kids and again, doesn't cost a penny.

Europe is on your doorstep and incredibly cheap to get to (we just spent a long weekend in the south of France, flights were £38 - including tax - for all four of us).

Yes, there are some more expensive things (although even those can be made cheap or free i.e. use Tesco Clubcard tokens and go for free to Legoland, Aquarium, Thorpe Park etc). But the UK is full of beautiful countryside that can be explored for free, and there are great amenities that are also cheap or free.

If you're spending anywhere near £50 for 3 of you to have a day out, you're not doing the right things!!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

My wife gets 5 weeks vacation plus federal holidays. I dont know how many the OP thinks she should have?

I have been SE so there is no difference for me.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:18 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are discussing London...then it's only fair to compare it to cities like NYC. The mayor of NYC has been trying to get a proposal passed for congestion charges....
let's also not forget that New York City already has a kind of de facto congestion charge: Want to drive into the city from New Jersey? That'll be $8 please (Lincoln/Holland Tunnels, GW Bridge), at whatever time of day or night. (OK it's only $6 off peak if you have E-Z Pass, but the point is made).
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Guys.......... Gals..................... I think you are all wasting your breath.

It is clear to me that the OP will find life so much more........ enlightening in the US

Last edited by Elvira; Oct 19th 2009 at 3:45 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:29 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Guys.......... Gals..................... I think you are all wasting your breath.

It is clear to me that the OP will life so much more........ enlightening in the US
Been on the California wine again?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

It is clear to me that the OP will life so much more........ enlightening in the US
Never any corruption here
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:50 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by elfman
let's also not forget that New York City already has a kind of de facto congestion charge: Want to drive into the city from New Jersey? That'll be $8 please (Lincoln/Holland Tunnels, GW Bridge), at whatever time of day or night. (OK it's only $6 off peak if you have E-Z Pass, but the point is made).
Bit like the Severn Bridge - $8.60 approx. You can't away from tolls no matter where you live.

Last edited by Mallory; Oct 19th 2009 at 4:00 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mallory
Bit like the Severn Bridge - $8.60 approx. Youu can't away from tolls no matter where you live.
Exactly...but the OP seems to think he will leave things like that behind in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.