British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Does the infuriation ever end... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/does-infuriation-ever-end-348943/)

Lostman Jan 17th 2006 4:44 pm

Does the infuriation ever end...

Just went to get my Driving test done only to be told that I can't take it until I get my Adjustment of Status. I have my Social Security card and everything, so I don't understand what the problem is. I came on a K1 and am now married and have filed for adjustment of status...arrgh!!!!! I just want to break something. :mad:

CarlM Jan 17th 2006 4:55 pm

Re: Does the infuriation ever end...

Originally Posted by Lostman
Just went to get my Driving test done only to be told that I can't take it until I get my Adjustment of Status. I have my Social Security card and everything, so I don't understand what the problem is. I came on a K1 and am now married and have filed for adjustment of status...arrgh!!!!! I just want to break something. :mad:

Once you get your US passport it gets easier they tell me..

anotherlimey Jan 17th 2006 4:58 pm

That's strange, why one earth would they say that? :confused:

Lostman Jan 17th 2006 5:19 pm

This explains it somewhat: Still going back until they give me what I want, I ain't gonna sit on this, I am not gonna be treated like a criminal.

http://immigration.about.com/library.../aa011502a.htm

Always21 Jan 17th 2006 5:23 pm

This explains it somewhat: Still going back until they give me what I want, I ain't gonna sit on this, I am not gonna be treated like a criminal.

I had no idea bout this. Sorry you have to deal with this. I also came on a K1 and had no problem taking my test before I was married. That was back in 2001 though. Keep us posted.

Big D Jan 17th 2006 5:36 pm

crazy! my wife didnt have SSN at time of test (late 2004) so was able to sign affidavid stating she wasnt entitled to one and was fine!

franc111s Jan 17th 2006 6:10 pm

calm down.. I understand your frustration.

Had an issue with my son, who had an expired I-551 stamp... They wouldn't give him provisional license.

Infuriated, I got ahold of the secretary of one of the (5) directors for the DVA for my state. She got him to call me. I told him if my son was legal, he was entitled to drive. He concured that my son was "not illegal" and promised to call BCIS to confirm. When I told him that might take some time, he told me "we talk to them all the time, believe me, I'll talk to them". Within 30 minutes he called me back to say he had spoken with BCIS *and* called the local DVA office to confirm my son was good to go..

Sweet.... now it's your turn...

Pimpbot Jan 17th 2006 6:11 pm

Unless you have a stamp in your passport or an EAD with some kind of date on it, as to when it expires, I doubt that they will give you one. I had the same problem when my entry passport stamp had expired and I had yet to receive my EAD. They wouldn't even issue me an AZ ID card.

anotherlimey Jan 17th 2006 6:18 pm

Can you try a different DMV office?

ScousePete Jan 17th 2006 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Can you try a different DMV office?

When I lived in Denver I made the mistake of thinking that a rural DMV office would be quicker than waiting in the lines of the downtown DMV. Big mistake. Nobody in the office had ever seen an I-551 stamp and wouldn't give me a DL. I even showed her my out-of-state DL, but she wasn't having any of it.

In the end I went to the downtown DMV (2 hours in line) where they knew exactly what was what and gave me a 10 year DL. The woman at the downtown office was so outraged at the treatment I had received at the rural office she called her supervisor who said that he would arrange retraining for the staff at the rural office!

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 17th 2006 7:05 pm

The infuriation ends when you have finished with the DMV, the USCIS and most other government agencies. And it gets much easier when you realise beaurocracy is the king. There are systems for the system's systems. And you cant circumvent them (easily). You have to learn to use them rather than fight them.

britontour Jan 17th 2006 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by ScousePete
When I lived in Denver I made the mistake of thinking that a rural DMV office would be quicker than waiting in the lines of the downtown DMV. Big mistake. Nobody in the office had ever seen an I-551 stamp and wouldn't give me a DL. I even showed her my out-of-state DL, but she wasn't having any of it.

In the end I went to the downtown DMV (2 hours in line) where they knew exactly what was what and gave me a 10 year DL. The woman at the downtown office was so outraged at the treatment I had received at the rural office she called her supervisor who said that he would arrange retraining for the staff at the rural office!

I made the same mistake at the dnv, they had to keep calling the main office in Denver to find out how to put me on the system.

Eskimo Jan 17th 2006 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The infuriation ends when you have finished with the DMV, the USCIS and most other government agencies. And it gets much easier when you realise beaurocracy is the king. There are systems for the system's systems. And you cant circumvent them (easily). You have to learn to use them rather than fight them.

To great posts in day :confused: did you get a shag last night ? please get back to the normal dross :D

AmerLisa Jan 17th 2006 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Once you get your US passport it gets easier they tell me..

I've always had mine.....wondering when it will get easier.... :rolleyes:

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 18th 2006 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Eskimo
To great posts in day :confused: did you get a shag last night ? please get back to the normal dross :D

Yes Im sorry mate. Dunno what came over me. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.