British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Does Florida have a future? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/does-florida-have-future-848324/)

Moses2013 Dec 6th 2014 11:31 am

Does Florida have a future?

Just wondering what people think of Florida and would you consider it a good place to live if you weren't retired? OK, Florida is big, but destination seeker voted Port St. Lucie best place to live and considered it a great place to raise a family & St. Petersburg was number 2. From what I've heard, most people say these cities are declining and there are hardly any opportunities for young families or people working. Do you see the economy improving, or will it just get worse? It also seems that properties aren't selling and prices are still dropping, so apart from the beach lifestyle would you say that these places have a future?

Hotscot Dec 6th 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Does Florida have a future?

It's a very general question.

Quality of life is related to economic strength so I guess if you can predict the strength of the economy?

And it seems to be getting stronger at the moment but there are so many unforeseen variables. All you can get are opinions, no guarantees.

Southy_SWFC Dec 6th 2014 3:40 pm

Anyone who says Port St Lucie is declining needs their head checking. There's at least 2 huge developments which are nearly done within 10 minutes of us. Plus they've just broken ground on a new mall on the border of PSL and Tradition

Then there's the Mall of America and 6 Flags that are set to be started soon.

Moses2013 Dec 6th 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11494527)
It's a very general question.

Quality of life is related to economic strength so I guess if you can predict the strength of the economy?

And it seems to be getting stronger at the moment but there are so many unforeseen variables. All you can get are opinions, no guarantees.

Very general, I agree. Would still be good to get some opinions from people who live in the real world, so maybe not wealthy retired people living in gated communities :lol:.

Moses2013 Dec 6th 2014 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 11494533)
Anyone who says Port St Lucie is declining needs their head checking. There's at least 2 huge developments which are nearly done within 10 minutes of us. Plus they've just broken ground on a new mall on the border of PSL and Tradition

Then there's the Mall of America and 6 Flags that are set to be started soon.

So would you say that there are good paying jobs in the area? It looks like property prices are still dropping and loads available in Port St. Lucie. I always fancied St Augustine and have heard that it's getting better there.

Michael Dec 6th 2014 4:19 pm

I don't know Florida very well but what I've been seeing in the SF bay area during the last year is reversal of the previous 4 years where office, research plants, housing, and shopping center new construction is now being developed and that hasn't occurred during the previous 4 years.

If the US economy continues to improve, all states benefit.

sir_eccles Dec 6th 2014 4:25 pm

On what basis would you be living there. If you have prospects for a high paying job I'm sure it's fine. If you are cleaning pools...

Pulaski Dec 6th 2014 6:27 pm

If the predictions about melting polar ice are true, the answer is a resounding "no". ..... IIRC the highest point in Florida is less than 350ft above sea level; much of it is less than 100ft above sea level. :scaredhair:

Hotscot Dec 6th 2014 6:39 pm

I sometimes hike here, a few hours away...

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/...ater-basin.jpg

Pulaski Dec 6th 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11494674)
I sometimes hike here, a few hours away. ....

Not that few. :rolleyes:

Hotscot Dec 6th 2014 6:50 pm

No, this few.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 6th 2014 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11494662)
If the predictions about melting polar ice are true, the answer is a resounding "no". ..... IIRC the highest point in Florida is less than 350ft above sea level; much of it is less than 100ft above sea level. :scaredhair:

Must admit I thought the thread would be about this.

Somebody I know just can back. He has connections there and was less that complementary.

I am sure it more than an OAP home and Disney.

Southy_SWFC Dec 7th 2014 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11494548)
So would you say that there are good paying jobs in the area? It looks like property prices are still dropping and loads available in Port St. Lucie. I always fancied St Augustine and have heard that it's getting better there.

Thats impossible to say without knowing what line of work you're in, as was said elsewhere.

There's certainly a lot of growth happening at the moment.

I'm 28, btw, so a long way from any of the retirement scene etc

md95065 Dec 7th 2014 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11494404)
Just wondering what people think of Florida and would you consider it a good place to live if you weren't retired?

For me, at least, the humidity alone makes Florida one of the last places on earth that I would want to live.

Michael Dec 7th 2014 3:50 am

Find Florida. :confused:

http://media3.mic.com/MjQ2NTIxNGI2Zi...Q0ODYuanBn.jpg