British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/does-embassy-help-cost-get-home-stuck-us-no-help-726310/)

Ash UK/US Jul 26th 2011 4:11 am

Re: does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

Hope you can figure it out, I can only imagine how you must feel.

Octang Frye Jul 26th 2011 4:53 am

Wow, for once I'm actually proud of you *****les and the support you're giving. Good luck, OP. It'll work out.

Karrie72 Jul 26th 2011 12:50 pm

Oh you poor thing, sounds like an awful situation. That website that Bob mentions looks promising though.

Brit3964 Jul 26th 2011 4:16 pm

I know of someone who was in your exact situation a few years ago. She lamented that she hadn't taken advantage of the VAWA at the time. She tried to "work it out" but then got stuck into a 4 year divorce battle. If you'd like to PM me, I could put you on to her. Good luck. :fingerscrossed:

jgirl1972 Jul 26th 2011 5:02 pm

I am sending you a personal message. Thanks again to all of you.

Eric S Jul 26th 2011 6:44 pm

Another organization that provides free/low cost Immigration help is the International Institute. There may be one in your area. Each one seems to have its own website, so I can't really give you a link. I would just Google "International Institute (your city or state)".

Good luck.
- Eric S.

Leslie Jul 26th 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jgirl1972 (Post 9518826)
Does anybody know if the British embassy will assist with the cost of returning to the UK?
I am married to a US citizen but my status expired some time ago (and so did my British passport). The marriage has been rocky from the get go with various different incidents including one where he was arrested and charged with domestic violence. The charges were later dropped by the police and we got back togethor to "work on our marriage". In the most recent incident I found a string of emails between him and women on the casual encounters section of craigs list arranging meetings. I am desperately unhappy and just want to get home at this point. As I have no status I obviously have no income and as he is the sole wage earner I have no money to pay for a flight. I am not sure if I would even be allowed to board a plane with an expired passport. I have no family to help either here or in the UK and I am increasingly desperate. Hoping somebody here can help with advice.

If you are posting from a computer that he also uses ... be very careful.

jgirl1972 Jul 26th 2011 7:16 pm

My computer with sole access. Running vista incognito and clearing browser history on exit and manually clearing cookies and temporary internet folders twice daily.
You make a very valid point but if there's one thing the last couple of years have taught me it is to be very careful.
If/when I make it through all this and can actually work again I may well consider becoming a private investigator!

sir_eccles Jul 26th 2011 7:25 pm

It's sad that these threads come up more often than we would like. Perhaps we need a sticky or wiki entry that lists refuges, charities and the like that can help people (it's men as well as women) who are in abusive situations like this. As well as perhaps a check list of things to do, grab ID, papers, get out.

Mods, anyone?

Leslie Jul 26th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by jgirl1972 (Post 9520886)
My computer with sole access. Running vista incognito and clearing browser history on exit and manually clearing cookies and temporary internet folders twice daily.
You make a very valid point but if there's one thing the last couple of years have taught me it is to be very careful.
If/when I make it through all this and can actually work again I may well consider becoming a private investigator!

:)

Don't put a priority on anything before your own safety. Good luck.

Bob Jul 26th 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9520894)
It's sad that these threads come up more often than we would like. Perhaps we need a sticky or wiki entry that lists refuges, charities and the like that can help people (it's men as well as women) who are in abusive situations like this. As well as perhaps a check list of things to do, grab ID, papers, get out.

Mods, anyone?

It's what the wiki is for....and anyone can start one, so if you've got suggestions on putting one together, I'm sure others could help contribute :)

BristolUK Jul 26th 2011 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9520894)
Perhaps we need a sticky or wiki entry that lists refuges, charities and the like that can help people (it's men as well as women) who are in abusive situations like this. As well as perhaps a check list of things to do, grab ID, papers, get out.

Mods, anyone?

There's this one for peple trying to get back to the UK :)

sir_eccles Jul 27th 2011 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9521085)
It's what the wiki is for....and anyone can start one, so if you've got suggestions on putting one together, I'm sure others could help contribute :)

Smart arse :-)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Domestic_violence

It's a very rough outline right now and I would appreciate it if people could contribute names or organizations, websites, help lines etc.

Leslie Jul 27th 2011 3:22 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9521378)

It's a very rough outline right now and I would appreciate it if people could contribute names or organizations, websites, help lines etc.

Excellent :)

The "Who Can Help" section should include domestic violence shelters.

For women in the Dallas area:

http://www.genesisshelter.org/

They consistently serve at-risk women regardless of nationality, citizenship, or immigration status.

Bob Jul 27th 2011 3:40 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9521378)

Great start!

Added the link Leslie posted :)