Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

Hope you can figure it out, I can only imagine how you must feel.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:53 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

Wow, for once I'm actually proud of you *****les and the support you're giving. Good luck, OP. It'll work out.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you poor thing, sounds like an awful situation. That website that Bob mentions looks promising though.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I know of someone who was in your exact situation a few years ago. She lamented that she hadn't taken advantage of the VAWA at the time. She tried to "work it out" but then got stuck into a 4 year divorce battle. If you'd like to PM me, I could put you on to her. Good luck.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

jgirl1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sending you a personal message. Thanks again to all of you.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Another organization that provides free/low cost Immigration help is the International Institute. There may be one in your area. Each one seems to have its own website, so I can't really give you a link. I would just Google "International Institute (your city or state)".

Good luck.
- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Jul 26th 2011 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgirl1972
Does anybody know if the British embassy will assist with the cost of returning to the UK?
I am married to a US citizen but my status expired some time ago (and so did my British passport). The marriage has been rocky from the get go with various different incidents including one where he was arrested and charged with domestic violence. The charges were later dropped by the police and we got back togethor to "work on our marriage". In the most recent incident I found a string of emails between him and women on the casual encounters section of craigs list arranging meetings. I am desperately unhappy and just want to get home at this point. As I have no status I obviously have no income and as he is the sole wage earner I have no money to pay for a flight. I am not sure if I would even be allowed to board a plane with an expired passport. I have no family to help either here or in the UK and I am increasingly desperate. Hoping somebody here can help with advice.
If you are posting from a computer that he also uses ... be very careful.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

jgirl1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

My computer with sole access. Running vista incognito and clearing browser history on exit and manually clearing cookies and temporary internet folders twice daily.
You make a very valid point but if there's one thing the last couple of years have taught me it is to be very careful.
If/when I make it through all this and can actually work again I may well consider becoming a private investigator!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It's sad that these threads come up more often than we would like. Perhaps we need a sticky or wiki entry that lists refuges, charities and the like that can help people (it's men as well as women) who are in abusive situations like this. As well as perhaps a check list of things to do, grab ID, papers, get out.

Mods, anyone?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:31 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgirl1972
My computer with sole access. Running vista incognito and clearing browser history on exit and manually clearing cookies and temporary internet folders twice daily.
You make a very valid point but if there's one thing the last couple of years have taught me it is to be very careful.
If/when I make it through all this and can actually work again I may well consider becoming a private investigator!

Don't put a priority on anything before your own safety. Good luck.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It's sad that these threads come up more often than we would like. Perhaps we need a sticky or wiki entry that lists refuges, charities and the like that can help people (it's men as well as women) who are in abusive situations like this. As well as perhaps a check list of things to do, grab ID, papers, get out.

Mods, anyone?
It's what the wiki is for....and anyone can start one, so if you've got suggestions on putting one together, I'm sure others could help contribute
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we need a sticky or wiki entry that lists refuges, charities and the like that can help people (it's men as well as women) who are in abusive situations like this. As well as perhaps a check list of things to do, grab ID, papers, get out.

Mods, anyone?
There's this one for peple trying to get back to the UK
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's what the wiki is for....and anyone can start one, so if you've got suggestions on putting one together, I'm sure others could help contribute
Smart arse :-)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Domestic_violence

It's a very rough outline right now and I would appreciate it if people could contribute names or organizations, websites, help lines etc.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:22 am
WTF?

It's a very rough outline right now and I would appreciate it if people could contribute names or organizations, websites, help lines etc.
Excellent

The "Who Can Help" section should include domestic violence shelters.

For women in the Dallas area:

http://www.genesisshelter.org/

They consistently serve at-risk women regardless of nationality, citizenship, or immigration status.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Great start!

Added the link Leslie posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.