Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does the Dublin CPB use the full body scanner?

Does the Dublin CPB use the full body scanner?

Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:31 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does the Dublin CPB use the full body scanner?

It doesn't say on the video but they do have security screening after the immigration checkpoint I know that much. Can you choose to be hand searched?

I might fly out of there when i go next year but i nearly collapsed coming out of the machine at jfk. Next time i will be hand searched

Last edited by customsquestion; Jun 14th 2013 at 10:57 am.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the Dublin CPB use the full body scanner?

No, it's a regular metal detector and your hand luggage goes through an x-ray machine. I /think/ you have to have your shoes x-rayed too. You will also have to go through a Dublin Airport Authority metal detector and bag x-ray when transferring from your flight from the UK before reaching US pre-clearance. Needless to say, the Irish screening staff are a lot friendlier and easy to deal with than their UK or US counterparts.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

My experience, this week, was that the airport main security DID have the body scanners.

The US pre-clearance area, later, only had an xray for hand luggage.

Regarding the friendly Irish, when I arrived in Dublin T1 from Bristol, the passport control area was swamped. A Girl in front of me was apparently Russian /no English/in the wrong line. The Passprt inspector came out of her cubicle, & took the girl to the other side of the hall, and came running back. She was a Brenda Fricker type, and it was a Benny Hill style scene, that made a lot of people smile.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
It doesn't say on the video but they do have security screening after the immigration checkpoint I know that much. Can you choose to be hand searched?

I might fly out of there when i go next year but i nearly collapsed coming out of the machine at jfk. Next time i will be hand searched
I believe that you can always ask to be hand searched.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Presumably an extra cost item.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Presumably an extra cost item.
Nah, just means a potentially gay bloke will get a chance to grope you instead of just looking at a indistinct picture of your body.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:05 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

My attitude to those full body scanners... if they think my unremarkable, somewhat overfed mid-40s physique is that worth staring at, I hope I made their day.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Nah, just means a potentially gay bloke will get a chance to grope you instead of just looking at a indistinct picture of your body.
I always thought they could make some money by having a 'Premium' line.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
My attitude to those full body scanners... if they think my unremarkable, somewhat overfed mid-40s physique is that worth staring at, I hope I made their day.
Passing through Incheon airport (Seoul Korea) yesterday morning, they didn't seem to have whole body scanners, but they did have an interesting poster on exposure from the X-rays used.

To receive your maximum permitted annual dose, you'd need to pass through them 2300 times A WEEK for a year. These are BACKscatter machines, not through scans - they work by BOUNCING X-rays off the skin.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:13 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Passing through Incheon airport (Seoul Korea) yesterday morning, they didn't seem to have whole body scanners, but they did have an interesting poster on exposure from the X-rays used.

To receive your maximum permitted annual dose, you'd need to pass through them 2300 times A WEEK for a year. These are BACKscatter machines, not through scans - they work by BOUNCING X-rays off the skin.
I heard you get more radiation from the flight itself than from the scanner. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I heard you get more radiation from the flight itself than from the scanner. I wouldn't be surprised.
Neither would I.
This is a clear demonstration of the scale of things.http://xkcd.com/radiation/